Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5 twin & earth for a new double socket?

Options
  • 02-05-2011 12:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Is it 2.5 twin and earth thatis used for wiring a new double socket?

And 1.5 twin and earth for wiring a new light fitting?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

paddy147 wrote: »
    Is it 2.5 twin and earth thatis used for wiring a new double socket?

And 1.5 twin and earth for wiring a new light fitting?

Thanks.:)
    Yes your spot on there, Just make sure the new socket is fed through an rcd for proper protection

What exactly are you wanting to do?If you need any other info just ask

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

crasy dash wrote: »
    Yes your spot on there, Just make sure the new socket is fed through an rcd for proper protection

What exactly are you wanting to do?If you need any other info just ask

Thanks,I had a feeling I was right,but better to ask here,than just presume.

Getting rid of an old crappy single socket and its wiring in a small box room,and replacing with new wiring and new double socket.Same with the light fitting in the room.

Best of luck just remember double back all cores and make sure your connections are good and tight but not over done if you are replacing the socket spend the extra few quid and buy mk gear much better quality

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm gonna jump in on this thread for a similar question:

There's a socket that's part of a ring and it's connected with 2.5mm TC&E so everything's grand there. The thing is, if the ring were to be diverted to supply a new socket and then on to the next existing socket in the ring, can the second 2.5mm cable share the same ducting without any derating etc? It's 1 inch plastic ducting behind plaster and the second TC&E is a tight squeeze. There's a few spurs on the ring as it is and I wanted to avoid another one if possible.

I probably didn't explain that right but I can answer any extra questions! Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

I'm gonna jump in on this thread for a similar question:

There's a socket that's part of a ring and it's connected with 2.5mm TC&E so everything's grand there. The thing is, if the ring were to be diverted to supply a new socket and then on to the next existing socket in the ring, can the second 2.5mm cable share the same ducting without any derating etc? It's 1 inch plastic ducting behind plaster and the second TC&E is a tight squeeze. There's a few spurs on the ring as it is and I wanted to avoid another one if possible.

I probably didn't explain that right but I can answer any extra questions! Thanks a lot!

well if your diverting the supply to the socket and back to the ring again your not creating a spur so your alright there. thats a 25 mm pipe so if your neat the cables will pull through and be fine just dont force it and burn the cables exposing the copper

get a hand doing it put in a draw wire have one pushing and pulling and it will be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

sparks24 wrote: »
    well if your diverting the supply to the socket and back to the ring again your not creating a spur so your alright there. thats a 25 mm pipe so if your neat the cables will pull through and be fine just dont force it and burn the cables exposing the copper

get a hand doing it put in a draw wire have one pushing and pulling and it will be grand
    Good man, thanks a lot! Is there any harm in using a bit of vaseline to help with running the cable through?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

i wouldn't use anything oil based no might react with the insulation over time but baby powder is a tried and tested beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

lads
    baby powder and vaseline in the tool box
    whats going on;);)

dont you remember being the apprentice haha

Advertisement