Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cradle cap??

Options
  • 02-05-2011 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

hi all, my son is 4 months old and has had cradle cap on the top of his head for the past 2 months or so,, ive been using the olive oil everyday and wash his hair with a special shampoo for cradle cap,, and there seems to be no improvement at all,right on the top of his head there is large clumps of the dry skin and sometimes his head is red under neat the cradle cap?? how long has anyones babies had cradle cap for??
    and is there any other advice on how to treat it?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I used to brush it or comb it out. Gross but it helps. A hat is your best friend. Remember it doesn't bother them, it just looks yuk! I think it lasted about 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My little one is four months as well and has had it almost since birth. In the chemist they recommended using a head lice comb to try get rid of it. It definitely works to lessen the cradle cap anyway. What I normally do is put some oil on, leave it a little while to soften the cradle cap, then comb a good bit, and wash out the oil with the Dentinox shampoo then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Baby oil and a soft baby brush, leave the baby oil on for an hour or two and then massage the head with the brush to loosen the cradle cap...

Or what my mam used to do with my first daughter who had it bad, the baby oil left in for an hour or two, then get a roughish tea towel and take the corner and rub it...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

thanks all for your replies,, i cant imagin using a comb as id be afraid id hurt his head, as he has hardly any hair and iits stuck to his head so id be afraid the comb would hurt his head,but i think ill give a try and see how it goes, will try anything now at this stage,,,maybe if i use more oil than i do it might help loosen it a bit...thanks again.x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I use baby oil, massage it in and then pick/scrape it off with my fingers. My little fellas was gone in a few days.

• Advertisement

i did consider picking off myself,but does it hurt baby at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It doesn't hurt, its just dead skin which is flaking off.
    Don't use a comb get a baby brush or a soft damp cloth.

thats good to no, thanks for that,will try picking off myself so and use soft baby brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

yeah i use to oil her up and then pick it off or use a hard face cloth.

Funny story though for you's all. I was so dopey last week and my ma said oh Elisha has cradle cap again get some oil and we'll comb it out. So I went grand went to look for Olive oil and we were all out so for some strange reason I picked up the flora sunflower oil and went over. My ma was in stiches saying no get the baby oil. Maybe you had to be there but why have i got baby brain still its been 13 months

No it didn't hurt at all; infect he seemed quite amused by the strange sensation of it! My mama friend told me to use Vaseline on if they have cradle cap on their forehead or around their eyebrows. I put it on before bed and wiped it off the next morning and the cradle cap came with it. Again I picked off any stubborn bits.

• Advertisement

Sorry for typos; damned iPhone and it's silly keypad ggrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

bulmersgal love your story my little fella is 8mths and i have baby brain still too which makes for some embarrassing situations really thought it would be gone by now and i'd be like all my friends, back to their usual self but oh no im a mess physically and my brain is still running along behind me fingers crossed it catches up soon i have left the house one to many times still in my slippers :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The guys I work with got me this in Poland:

http://www.mustela.com/en/main.html#/baby-products/baby-care/bathing/infant-shampoo

I used it once and its gone. I was a bit worried as she has no hair so I was just washing her head.

Not sure if its available here.

thanks all again,,great replies, im going to oil up his head all day tomo(not today as he has his 4month jabs and i dont want to be picking at the poor lad today of all days) but tommo ill give it ago and see how it goes hopefully it will improve someway...cheers ladies:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I used to rub sweet almond oil in and wash it out the next day with Dentinox shampoo and did help a good bit.. then one day I decided to try and pick some of it off.. I ended up spending about an hour gently lifting it off with my nail and didn't bother him one bit, he just lay there watching tele..

I think he actually enjoyed it lol.. Just be really gentle and careful not to pull the hair.. I ended up with a big pile of flakes on the floor beside me.. Gross :D

It never really came back after that, his head is totally clear now..

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

Sorry I didn't read through the whole thread, so this has prob been posted a few times already but my girlfriend used olive oil and comb on our 5 month old son who had cradle cap quite bad and it worked a treat !

hi again, yes the thoughts of picking it is not nice and gives me the shivers, i did try it once, but i noticed that when i pealed off a large flake of it, bits of his hair came with it, is this ok? he hasnt much hair as it is so i dont want to pull uot the few bits he has, or will it just grow back itself?
    i do agree the baby oil is great to moisten the cradle cap so i will continue using this to help comb or pick off the cradle cap... thanks again to all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

yeah it fine if his hair comes with it, it will grow back and doesnt hurt them when it comes out my little one had a head full of dark brown hair when born I just trimmed it a few months ago as it was ridicules however looking at it now you would think i hacked at it as most has fallen out and grown back a dirty blond
    he still has a bit of craddle cap which i try brush out every day but he is at an age that if i go near his head he is trying to grab me to see what i have and just wiggles all over the place im just short of pinning him down to get at his head but it is going slowly

thats good to no, the poor thing has hardly any hair as it is,,just looks funny when the hair comes off with it, i dont want a little bald patch left on the top of his head:),,,ill start this procedure tomo and see how it goes.fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Silcocks Base worked for us.

We normally bath our girl twice a week. She had cradle cap from about 2 months, and we started using Silcocks Base and it almost completely disappeared in about 4-5 weeks.

• Advertisement

hi all, i tried pealing/picking off the cradle cap and it has improved alot,,,i massaged in plenty of the olive oil and left it for little while and began pealing, it didnt bother him at all. its not completely gone, but much improved, thanks for all the advice..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

You're not meant to pick it as it can cause infection. I don't know why people get bothered about it. It'll disappear in time and is harmless. I've never seen an adult with it :)

Advertisement