Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Insignia, - anybody else having problems?

Options
  • 02-05-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anybody else has ongoing problems with their Insignia? from faulty handbrake to steering gone to bad brakes.

Anybody else having problems?

Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

damn ninja edits :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Yeah, I;ve seen a few Insignia's getting pads and discs replaced at around 30,000km.

There is a warranty recall on this in the UK, but not in ROI.

I presume your handbrake is the newer electronic unit fitted to an Ecoflex? They do give minor issues, but that should be covered under warranty.

Never heard of the steering going.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Thanks for the reply, the rear brakes were showing different wear on each side, so now I need new pads and discs.

Sorry, it wasn't the actual steering, just the steering fluid leaking out of the steering column, has happened twice in a month and a half.

The handbrake is the manual type, I wish I could blame it on the new switch handbrake.

That sounds about right on the brakes, Vauxhall blame it on sub-standard parts fitted at the factory. As I said, Vauxhall have a recall outstanding to replace the brakes in the UK, but Opel do not have this recall here.

The steering fluid issue I'm yet to come across. Bring the car back to the dealer you bought it from, they should be warranty items, assuming the car is still within warranty.

yeah, thanks for that.

Its been in to the local Opel dealership twice for the steering issue, once for a service, once for a handbrake check and now going in for pads and discs. All within 2 months.

Unfortunately I will have to pay for the pads and discs:(

• Advertisement

It sounds like the dealer is trying to avoid the real problem at hand, and are hoping that a simple fix will do the job.

Bring it back, and tell them you don't want the car back until it is fixed properly. Also ask them for contact details for Opel Ireland and inform them you are planning on making a complaint.

Hopefully that should solve the issue.

I bought it at a different Opel dealer to the one that has been fixing these issues, i did complain to Opel Ireland about the handbrake (which resulted in damage to another car). They simply fobbed me off.

My family have had Opel's and only Opel's since the Manta came out and I have never had such trouble in a couple of months from the one car.

i'll bring her back to my local Opel dealer (again!) tomorrow.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Had handbreak issues in the first few months, then some electric problems (no brake lights, no cruise control, radio turning itself off) and last week had the steering issues (leaky pipe on power steering, drained itself of oil)

All sorted by the dealer under warranty.... which is now up next week :(

thats the steering problem I had twice, very annoying!

My warranty is out in June, so have to try get my money's worth out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dhd

I am also having major problems with my Insignia. Its a 2009 160 bhp 2.0 cdti. The list never seems to end and to make it worse the warrenty was up two weeks ago and even though it was left in to be sorted out on many occasions - nothing was ever done! Their customer service was appalling to be honest. Another family member also drives a 2010 model and can't wait to trade in in 2012 with the hassle he is getting! The only thing that has ever been done is clutch relaced ... they said due to a technial error? What hasn't been fixed is:

• Massive engine noise ... like mounts not correct
    • Steering wheel when turned makes a huge banging sound .. for want of a better term!
    • Brakes are very bad in my opinion and seem to have gotten worse ... now they have a type of thump sound for a few seconds before the car comes to a halt
    • Leaking doors - reportly fixed - not so as still leaking
    • Faulty handbrake

Now the problem is I need to pay to have these fixed ... no doubt the problem will then be able to be fixed now the warranty is out of date!? Really annoyed as I love the car itself looks wise and would have bought again next year but at the moment I feel like its going to have me killed with the carry on with the brakes etc! I don't know whether I was getting the brush off being female or what but Opel have really drove me mad with the carry on since I got the car - all you get is "ah love theres nothing wrong" - I mean stop talking to me like I'm driving a micra or something!!!

Anybody ideas on these faults so perhaps I can try get them sorted? I would really appreciate it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It is surprising to hear that Opel are not doing more when people have problems - Opel are normally very good at goodwill gestures for cars that are out of warranty (even up to two years out of warranty) if it is something that one would not expect to fail in a car at a relatively young age.

That's assuming the car has been serviced on time and at a main Opel dealer, of course.

My car has been fully serviced by Opel dealer to date. she is in there now, one of the brake pads on the rear brake got stuck in a weird position and damaged the disc. So new discs and brakes needed, mid 09 car, 40k miles.

Apparently, brakes and discs after 30k miles are not covered under warranty, I would assume so for the pads but not for damage caused by faulty/ defective calipers/pads.

Anyway, my nice garage has managed to sort it all out for me at a very reasonable cost, I like them!:)

I do really hope this is the end of my dramas with my Insignia.

dhd wrote: »

[*]Faulty handbrake

What was happening with your handbrake? Is it a new switch one or good old manual?

missloulou wrote: »
    [*]Faulty handbrake

What was happening with your handbrake? Is it a new switch one or good old manual?

I have the switch with the "hillstart"... except on hills it would release in the middle of traffic, great craic.

Add more electric gremlins to my list, radio randomly turns itself off, the automatic lights randomly turn themselves on during the day & the seat belt warning buzzer doesn't turn itself off (you have to turn off the car, take out the key and wait a minute or so for it to stop)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Just reading through this, there seems to be a lot of problems with the Insignia. Have any of you emailed or spoken to Opel Ireland and if so what did they say?

Despite the issues with the car (it was one of the launch models) my dealer has looked after everything, sorted me out with a car any days it's had to stay in.

Tomorrow will be the first time I've had spoken to them about issues outside of the warranty so will see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I have a 2010 Insignia Tourer only a few weeks and no problems with it, It has the electronic handbrake, 21,500kms and Opel were the only owners as it was the demo model, i'm defintely going to be on the lookout for these problems now.

But on the point of Opel Ireland, i find them great, I got a replacement car when they recalled my Tigra in 05, They sent me petrol vouchers for being an Opel customer which i didnt think anyone did. That was one of the reasons i stayed with Opel and bought both my cars from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I am also having major problems with my Insignia. Its a 2009 160 bhp 2.0 cdti. The list never seems to end and to make it worse the warrenty was up two weeks ago and even though it was left in to be sorted out on many occasions - nothing was ever done! Their customer service was appalling to be honest. Another family member also drives a 2010 model and can't wait to trade in in 2012 with the hassle he is getting! The only thing that has ever been done is clutch relaced ... they said due to a technial error? What hasn't been fixed is:

• Massive engine noise ... like mounts not correct
    • Steering wheel when turned makes a huge banging sound .. for want of a better term!
    • Brakes are very bad in my opinion and seem to have gotten worse ... now they have a type of thump sound for a few seconds before the car comes to a halt
    • Leaking doors - reportly fixed - not so as still leaking
    • Faulty handbrake

Now the problem is I need to pay to have these fixed ... no doubt the problem will then be able to be fixed now the warranty is out of date!? Really annoyed as I love the car itself looks wise and would have bought again next year but at the moment I feel like its going to have me killed with the carry on with the brakes etc! I don't know whether I was getting the brush off being female or what but Opel have really drove me mad with the carry on since I got the car - all you get is "ah love theres nothing wrong" - I mean stop talking to me like I'm driving a micra or something!!!

Anybody ideas on these faults so perhaps I can try get them sorted? I would really appreciate it :)

Thats pretty appalling. If I knew my warranty was coming to an end and still nothing had been fixed, I would have abandoned the car at the dealers and demanded it be fixed. Sounds like they were stalling until it expired. If you have a record of the attempted repairs before the warranty ended, you should still legally be obliged to get the faults repaired now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Garmal1

Have had a lot of niggly problems with my Opel Insignia Elite, I bought it in Feb 2009

1. Particulate filter full message happened about 10 times

2. Drivers seat heater replaced twice

3. Passenger seat heater currently faulty, waiting for replacement

4. Door open alarm when keys in ignition stays on after door is closed, have to lock and unlock doors for it to switch off

5. Just yesterday the centre digital display not showing time, date or temp but radio was working

6. Today the cetre digital display is still not working and the radio is not working

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've an Insignia Sri, 160bhp, bought Mar 2009, over 40k km on it, and haven't had any of the problems listed above, thankfully.

I have had some issues, but these were caused during a service and repaired (FOC) by the service centre.

I guess like everything, there are always a few issues on some cars (all makes/models though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Nearly40

I bought my 2.0ltr Insignia brand new Feb 2010, it has spent 3 months so far (out of 16) of its life back in the Opel garage. The fly wheel, gear selector, clutch, numerous small parts and now the full gearbox replaced. The problems with it, is that the gearbox jams, after changing down to stop at a junction, it will not change back up again, the problem is intermittent, not there all the time, but extremely dangerous when it happens. I am now taking legal advise. Anyone else out there had such problems, or had a case against Opel/Vauxhall for their money back or a replacement car? :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jhal34

Nearly40 wrote: »
    I bought my 2.0ltr Insignia brand new Feb 2010, it has spent 3 months so far (out of 16) of its life back in the Opel garage. The fly wheel, gear selector, clutch, numerous small parts and now the full gearbox replaced. The problems with it, is that the gearbox jams, after changing down to stop at a junction, it will not change back up again, the problem is intermittent, not there all the time, but extremely dangerous when it happens. I am now taking legal advise. Anyone else out there had such problems, or had a case against Opel/Vauxhall for their money back or a replacement car? :mad::(

Opel Replaced my car earlier this year after 6 mths of issues which I escalated through the management chain in Opel, feel free to contact me at www.customercomplaint4u.ie where I'd be delighted to act on your behalf.

Regards,
    John Halvey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jhal34

Not all cars are tested, only a %

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Nearly40

jhal34 wrote: »
    Opel Replaced my car earlier this year after 6 mths of issues which I escalated through the management chain in Opel, feel free to contact me at www.customercomplaint4u.ie where I'd be delighted to act on your behalf.

Regards,
    John Halvey

Thanks John for your reply and offer of help. Thankfully, I've good news, Opel replaced my car with a brand new one since I last posted, and my new one is going like a dream (almost 4 months old now). I have to say Opel are good to deal with, and I will recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I tell you what I dont understand, alot of these new cars go through silly miles in testing (I think the last laguna did over a million) and yet car owners come back with some of the most basic issues in just over a year.

So what exactly are they doing in testing?
    Yes, the last laguna did record breaking test miles and it is infinitely more reliable than the model it replaced.

Advertisement