Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gear upgrade advice

• 02-05-2011 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

i have a landrover g4 MTB with crappy tourney running gear, the whole lot came apart in spectacular fashion yesterday leaving me 5k from home, from reading on net the tourney gear is utter rubbish so im looking at upgrading the front/rear derailleur, chain and freewheel as the whole lot got damaged, i notice my old gear is sis index shifting and some of the rear derailleurs ive looked at dont mention thi,s is it a factor i need to consider at all, sorry if all this is common sense to you:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Just to say I have Tourney on my old mtb which over the years I have used for mtb, xcountry, city commuter and loaded touring and no issues with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Tourney is fine. I doubt that bike is worth sinking money into though. It wouldn't just fall apart, what did you do that caused damage to all those components?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

bought the bike second hand i had a feeling the bike had a hard life previous to me being in possesion of it, i have done 800km on it since i got it, always felt that the rear derailleur didnt sit rite it came apart at the bottom gog then the whole thing came of the frame of the bike

How did that damage the front derailleur, chain and freewheel (I presume you mean cassette?) I'd get it fixed as cheaply as possible, Tourney is fine and there is no point spending money upgrading the drivetrain on that bike IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

the chain was running outside the derailleur unknown to myself and also the chain had come off a few times and got stuck between the frame and the front chainset, the front derailleur is fine but when im at it im going to upgrade the lot not going mental with it just next level up

so far no one has answered my question however

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

SIS stands for 'shimano index system', and is not likely to be the discriminating factor on upgrades. As has ben mentioned before, with the quality of the frame as it is, there is little point upgrading; repair/replace as necessary from a reputable shop who will set it up right and enjoy your cycling, you shouldn't have too many problems with it under normal stress.

To answer your question, Altus is the next level up. It is an extra speed so you will have to replace basically the whole group, and will see little difference. If you are replacing the whole group, Deore is probably the entry level for a proper MTB group. Figure on paying around €500 plus installation.

Or you could just get a new Tourney rear derailleur for €15 or so which is absolutely fine :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

As blorg says, stick with replacing what's on it, and save your money for a better all round package. You could upgrade to Deore, but you'd still be riding a very basic frame, which would still not allow you to mtb properly.

Advertisement