Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Alternative Fuel Source

• 02-05-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

With the price of diesel through the roof has anybody tried any different fuels in their camper? Recent trip away really got me thinking about it.

Vegetable oil, lpg, etc. Anybody tried them and how successful have they been?

I'm sure this will interest everybody.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

i would not dream of trying if i were you. you need heaters and special filters, and even then you will have blockages i tried half and half in a jeep worked for a while done pump and filters .and your average camper a much more refined engine. a friend of mine was always trying alternative fuels he is no dud i might add he has a garden of vans and jeeps with blown engines . i could be wrong but i am nearly sure with many it will effect your guarentee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Depends really, I have an aul 96 transit van converted. I don't think i'd have much bother with it on a van like that tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I know somebody who has had a van that started on deisel and then switched over to veg oil when the engine has warmed up and would switch back a few miles from home worked for him but it's almost the same price now.

I've an old van with a simple engine don't think I would risk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

I've had no probs with using up to 25% veg oil from the supermarket with my '94 Ford diesel - lovely smell, too! But what's the point? Veg oil has gone up every time diesel goes up - it's 1.49 per litre in LIDL today.
    Might make sense if you had a source of cheap oil, or free recycled stuff from a restaurant - but you have to be careful as the used oil can have water and impurities in it even after filtering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I've had no probs with using up to 25% veg oil from the supermarket with my '94 Ford diesel - lovely smell, too! But what's the point? Veg oil has gone up every time diesel goes up - it's 1.49 per litre in LIDL today.
    Might make sense if you had a source of cheap oil, or free recycled stuff from a restaurant - but you have to be careful as the used oil can have water and impurities in it even after filtering.

There needs to be a considerable amount of filtering on used oil if you want to use it, to get all the little bitties out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement