Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language Graduates and Career Paths

• 02-05-2011 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi everybody,
    I'm interested in finding out whether there are graduates of language studies or just people out there who know of possible career paths from degree level studies in languages. To give you some background, I'm in my second year of a BA in French and Spanish language, literature and cultural studies.

In terms of possible careers, I have considered careers such as Secondary School Teaching and Translation. Although I am not certain about the demand for language graduates for these professions. On that note, I do not know much about the Translation Industry in Ireland either. I am also interested in teaching English as a foreign language, since I like working with other cultures and helping people to improve their English. I would like to explore the idea of using my language skills in the business world also. I would like to travel, so opportunities in Ireland or abroad would suit me.

I have gone to talks organised by the Careers Advisory Service in college, but I would like to hear personally from graduates/students, who have studied/are studying similar subjects. Any general advice, thoughts or graduate stories would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

The Polish kid working at the tills in Lidl is fluent in English and Polish. The Chinese kid who works in the takeaway can speak English and Cantonese. Heck, even the gypsy begging on the street is multi-lingual. None of these people went to college and yet have a better command of their languages than you ever will. Sorry but the truth hurts. Forget about a career in translation. There are computer programs now that can receive an audio recording in one language and output a translated version (we're not talking about simple text translation here á la google translate. I mean audio translation rendering human translators redundant).

The only constructive advice I can give you is to perhaps foucs on a career in teaching but this will require further education after your undergrad degree. For the record, I'm fluent in English (because I'm Irish and grew up here, duh!) and also Italian because I have close Italian relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Patricia_

The last reply is rather harsh, but there is truth in it....

I speak fluent Polish, English, Russian, can understand Ukrainian, have Masters and teaching qualifications, TEFL qualifications and struggle to find work.

Only the best of the best can work as interpreters or translators (mainly because it is stressful and hard work), there is no chance for comprehensive training in Irleland, only UK. You would have to take an exam to qualify for sworn translations etc. I am convinced that the market for translators if absolutely full. Try to research it.

I think teaching and tourism (guiding etc) is the best option. Spanish, French and Italian are sought after in Tourism, and Dutch, German, Swedish, Norwegian in Business.

Years ago someone told me: 'If you want to learn a language - just take up a course in a language school; if you want to learn how to learn a language - apply for the culture and language course in University'. It is so true. If I had a second chance I would study law or medicine...but don't get me wrong, being able to speak a foreign language well is really satisfying. Best of luck!!

Advertisement