Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling @ pedestrian crossing

• 02-05-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it's just something I've never been quite sure of.

When you are at a pedestrian crossing on a bike can you cycle across? It seems like a silly question but I was just wondering what others do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Of course you can, what else are you supposed to do;), but jesting aside, you are still supposed to yield to pedestrians, thats the purpose of a pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

Ok, I just thought I'd ask since I was almost run over at lunch :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If light controlled cyclists must observe the red light. If not, ax xz says, cyclists must yield to pedestrians. Cyclists are in no different a position to motorists at pedestrian crossings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'm not sure that's what the OP meant.

To clarify: are you referring to a cyclist crossing the road along with pedestrians, or cycling through the crossing while pedestrians are using it?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    To clarify: are you referring to a cyclist crossing the road along with pedestrians, or cycling through the crossing while pedestrians are using it?

I meant cycling through the crossing but not when there are pedestrains using it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

swapple wrote: »
    I meant cycling through the crossing but not when there are pedestrains using it

I doesn't matter, if there is somebody crossing the road or not. A red light means red light. Otherwise you get in trouble, considering, there might be a Gardai round the corner ;)

What if it's not a light controlled crossing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I'm guessing that you were nearly hit by a cyclist as you were crossing at a zebra crossing.
    The pedestrian ensures that traffic is stopped before crossing.
    Cyclist on the road should stop at a zebra crossing when a pedestrian has made their intention of crossing known or is already in the process of crossing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

stoneill wrote: »
    I'm guessing that you were nearly hit by a cyclist as you were crossing at a zebra crossing.
    The pedestrian ensures that traffic is stopped before crossing.
    Cyclist on the road should stop at a zebra crossing when a pedestrian has made their intention of crossing known or is already in the process of crossing.

Why should the pedestrian ensure the traffic is stopped? The pedestrian has the right of way at a zebra crossing and should exercise it, not wait to be let cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why should the pedestrian ensure the traffic is stopped? The pedestrian has the right of way at a zebra crossing and should exercise it, not wait to be let cross.

Rules of the road states that

You do not have the right-of-way over other traffic until you actually step onto the crossing. Never step onto the crossing if this would cause a driver to brake or swerve suddenly.

You must not cross within the area marked by zig-zag white lines if these are provided on either side of a zebra crossing. If they are not provided, you must not cross within 15 metres of the crossing.

If there is a central island, treat each side as a separate crossing.

Always watch carefully for approaching traffic. Place one foot on the crossing to indicate that you wish to cross. Wait until traffic has stopped before you start crossing.

DC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Although you have the right of way, you should always check to make sure the traffic has stopped.
    Come on now, they teach you this when you're five!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Why should the pedestrian ensure the traffic is stopped?

Because if they don't, physics will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

Wow ..... good luck with that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I think you're generally supposed to get off your bike. At the light-controlled ones, no-one will mind if you cycle slowly across on the green man, but if it's a zebra crossing, definitely dismount.

If you get hit by a car crossing a zebra crossing on a bike, I think would expect the opinion of a court to be tough-sh1t

Advertisement