Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Build Trek Top Fuel 9.9 2011 ***Warning A LOT of Pictures***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i suppose its preference, id always use flats on my mtb, i like being able to put a foot down in the tight corners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Ronin2009

Stem004.jpg

Stem001.jpg

Stem002.jpg

Stem003.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Keep it up, loving this thread. We need more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

Those Wellgo flats are seriously light. Might be tempted to stick a set on my DH bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morninwood

Nice goodies you have there. I hope to see your baby in the imgaes of beauty soon.

• Advertisement

Seatpost004.jpg

Seatpost005.jpg

Seatpost006.jpg

Seatpost017.jpg

Seatpost003.jpg

chainpics001.jpg

Actually turns out these where included with the brake sets :S so i didn't need to but them separately

ah well! if anyone is looking for a set let me know

Seatpost001.jpg

Seatpost002.jpg

Really enjoying this thread, many thanks

Seatpost002.jpg^^^^^what are these for??

I had eventually gotten around to applying the FrameSkin Protection to the frame. Crank and Fork.

I have to say I'm REALLY impressed with the stuff, very easy to apply with soapy water and a hairdryer and is invisible from a foot or two away.
    (more visible against the white of the fork)

But have a look at the pictures and judge for yourself.
    Note added about 5-6 grams to the weight of the frame

Seatpost009.jpg

Seatpost011.jpg

Seatpost010.jpg

Seatpost012.jpg

Seatpost007.jpg

Seatpost008.jpg

• Advertisement

Installed the headset without any problems going to leave the length in the steerer tube for now and re-evaluate once fully built up and and see what needs to be cut off it

chainpics002.jpg

chainpics003.jpg

chainpics004.jpg

The Hose also had to be bolted down from inside the frame at the BB and headtube

Seatpost013.jpg

abcdggs wrote: »
    Really enjoying this thread, many thanks

^^^^^what are these for??

they are clamps designed to hold the brakes, triggers and lockout remotes on the one clamp, as apposed to one clamp each

Ronin2009 wrote: »
    they are clamps designed to hold the brakes, triggers and lockout remotes on the one clamp, as apposed to one clamp each
    i see, crazy MTBers

Encountered a big problem today!
    I have been having trouble with the BB and Crankset installing it and i eventually decided to take it to a professional.

i'm now being told the BB/Crankset are not compatible :(

now i checked all of this before buying with many posts and phone calls to my frame supplier.

told there are two versions of BB90 you can get with the frame and i was told i was getting the one that would fit Sram, also told Sram XX Q156 Crank GXP would have no problem.

now someone told me either a porky or i didn't get the BB bearings i was meant to.
    i got Shimano Kit 404699 (told this was the one i needed)
    either way i'm looking at a wait for a part to be replaced :(

if anyone has any input or advise i would greatly appreciate it

I spoken with dealer going to get the correct BB (GXP Top Fuel Specific 415734) i had Shimano 404699 kit,

I do remember specifically asking for 415734 kit when i ordered the frame, as I knew from research back in Feb what i needed.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/viewtopic.php?p=16756808&sid=b302b47ab0eea280bfc0982cc4857295

i just assumed i got the correct BB and never checked ah well my fault for not checking sooner

I may not have the new BB until Monday next week coming from Trek UK at a cost of €20

more waiting :(

Hope to have the new BB tomorrow and have it finished before the end of the week.
    in the mean time i'm just preparing the wheels etc and other parts
    so i got a few more pictures to go up

I had decided to upgrade my old Bontrager XXX handlebar with the new 2011 white and black version as it matches the seat post that came with the frame

chainpics005.jpg

chainpics006.jpg

chainpics007.jpg

i stripped the old tubes, tires, cassette & rotors from the wheels weighted them and then added the new cassette and clean sweep rotors

chainpics008.jpg

chainpics009.jpg

wheelscassettesaddle001.jpg

wheelscassettesaddle002.jpg

wheelscassettesaddle003.jpg

My old saddle it's a Specialized Carbon carbon based saddle with Ti rails
    can't for the life of me remember the correct product code/description.

it's one of the few parts from the old bike i'm keeping for now may change later down the line

wheelscassettesaddle004.jpg

i have assembled the bike as much as i can with out the Crankset installed (no pictures yet until it's ready) but have also realized i will need to get the seat post cut :S
    hopefully it's not going to be a big problem and the seat posts are made for cutting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Nice thread, keep the photos coming plz,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

hopefully it's not going to be a big problem and the seat posts are made for cutting

What material is it? One of these might do the job.

Genealogy Forum Mod

cant wait to see it put together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

With regards to the flat pedals, I'd recommend something from Superstar (I've ridden the name brand version of the nanos and they're great) or - if you really want to show off - some Straitlines.

Looks like a lovely bike coming together. It's so beautiful, it's almost making me wish I had a job :D

Hermy wrote: »
    What material is it? One of these might do the job.

it's carbon, i think i'm going to need to take at least acouple of inches off hopefully it's will still be ok

With regards to the flat pedals, I'd recommend something from Superstar (I've ridden the name brand version of the nanos and they're great) or - if you really want to show off - some Straitlines.

Looks like a lovely bike coming together. It's so beautiful, it's almost making me wish I had a job :D

I like the superstar stuff, quite a few things on there to add some colour like the rotors and thru bolts etc.

Just browsing CRC and i think i really like these :S i like the pedals small

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52881

I was supposed to have my new BB bearing kit today and typical Trek UK have made a b@lls of it and given my order to someone else and now i have to wait until next Wednesday before they get a restock.
    it's unbelievably frustrating to be waiting on one part and for delays to keep getting in your way!

I’m just going to finish the build and leave the crank installation until last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Whitehawk wrote: »
    Nice thread, keep the photos coming plz,
    And some photos of it after your first crash :D
    I like the superstar stuff, quite a few things on there to add some colour like the rotors and thru bolts etc.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52881
    The wellgo pedals you posted a photo of earlier are actually quite big though.

I was supposed to have my new BB bearing kit today and typical Trek UK have made a b@lls of it and given my order to someone else and now i have to wait until next Wednesday before they get a restock.
    it's unbelievably frustrating to be waiting on one part and for delays to keep getting in your way!

I’m just going to finish the build and leave the crank installation until last

i know that feeling quite well, was waiting for a mech hanger for a good month :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

They look like they'd have zero grip.

Ah don't worry about that, cranks are hardly essential.

Advertisement