Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part-time Study: Thesis writing

Options
  • 02-05-2011 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭

I'm working full time and studying part time.
    I'm doing an MSc and I'm at the thesis writing stage.
    I'm finding time management really difficult.

I was never very good at working in the evenings after work. I was always too tired.

While I was doing the main body of my degree, I just pottered along with the course work. I used to bring my reading out with me and just have a go with it when ever I felt like it and it worked out. The assignments were pretty short so I could just bang them out over a weekend.

My thesis is another matter. I got the research out of the way by just plodding along and I could bring my background reading out with me, so that was fine.

The actual writing is kicking my ass. I won't be able to just write it on the weekends, I only have a month before due day.

Does any one have any advice to offer? Is any one in the same boat as me? I'm getting a bit freaked out with the work load!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

The only piece of advice I can offer is to take it a chapter at a time that way you won't let the word count get in your head and stress you out!!! Hope that helps a little...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I found when I had serious writing to do that if I got up early (ugh) I wrote much better first thing in the morning. Maybe make an hour for yourself every morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I'm taking it one chapter at a time that bit is fine.
    I write easier at night actually. I might try rearranging my work-hours so I can go in late in the morning. Then I can stay up late at night.

reallyrose wrote: »
    I'm taking it one chapter at a time that bit is fine.
    I write easier at night actually. I might try rearranging my work-hours so I can go in late in the morning. Then I can stay up late at night.

Hope I was clear about the one chapter at a time thing (i.e. I didn't mean to be smart). I just found that sometimes it can be difficult to see the woods from the trees in terms of word count:) I worked better in the morning but if you work better at night go with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Nhead wrote: »
    Hope I was clear about the one chapter at a time thing (i.e. I didn't mean to be smart). I just found that sometimes it can be difficult to see the woods from the trees in terms of word count:) I worked better in the morning but if you work better at night go with it!!

I know exactly what you mean.
    I actually have my remaining time/remaining word count.
    So in my head I 'only' have to write, say 350 words a day. So if I reach that word count in a day I can relax a little. It's not a great system but it seems to be keeping me sane. :/

What are you using/did you use for keeping track of references?

• Advertisement

I did the same thing with the word count:p My thesis was in History so I always updated the references as I went along just so I wouldn't forget where I got them from.

Advertisement