Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any results kanturk 3 day?

• 02-05-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

Nothing on cycling ireland or Irishcycling would love to hear an update.
    Failed with 200 m to go last year to win the final stage and unfortunately broken this year and unable to compete

Any results? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

A2/A3 Race:
    1. Damien Shaw (Mullingar Lakeside Wheelers)
    2. Wes Murphy (Dublin Wheelers)
    3. Tom Shanahan (Limerick CC)

I have the GC after the TT but that probably didn't change much by the finish....Shaw won the 1st stage and the time trial. Damian Travers (Dungarvan CC) won the 3rd stage and Declan Hanrahan (Worldwide Cycles) won the 4th and final soaking wet stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Thanks for that. No info to be found yet on the websites.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

A2/A3 Race:
    1. Damien Shaw (Mullingar Lakeside Wheelers)
    2. Wes Murphy (Dublin Wheelers)
    3. Tom Shanahan (Limerick CC)

I have the GC after the TT but that probably didn't change much by the finish....Shaw won the 1st stage and the time trial. Damian Travers (Dungarvan CC) won the 3rd stage and Declan Hanrahan (Worldwide Cycles) won the 4th and final soaking wet stage!

What was the winning time in the TT?

What was the winning time in the TT?

10:28 :eek:

Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

by some 19 year old on a normal race bike, he wasnt even on a TT bike!!

my brother did 11.06, 4th in A4's, but still only got 1 measly point for it,

just to clarify the measly 1 point, everybody that competed got 1 point, so why bother put in all that effort to get such a good time just to get the same points as the lad that came last :mad:

the weather was shocking this morning, credit to anyone that finished that stage, worse rain ive seen in a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat Kavanagh

just to clarify the measly 1 point, everybody that competed got 1 point, so why bother put in all that effort to get such a good time just to get the same points as the lad that came last :mad:

Ya, the fella that came fifth got the same result as the fella who came 40th, and the same as everybody in between. Made no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

the weather was shocking this morning, credit to anyone that finished that stage, worse rain ive seen in a long time

Absolutely miserable this morning! By the look of things there was a lot that didn't start the A4 race this morning, compared to yesterday.

Well done to Kanturk CC for putting on a great event, would like to think I'll be back again next year.

cormpat wrote: »
    Absolutely miserable this morning! By the look of things there was a lot that didn't start the A4 race this morning, compared to yesterday.

Well done to Kanturk CC for putting on a great event, would like to think I'll be back again next year.

i think the fact that the race wasnt done by a timed GC and just points, alot of riders weighed up the risks with gaining 1 little point, and went with their health instead, understandable really,

the rain really was intense.

yesterdays stage was great viewing though, amateur sports at it finest, credit to all involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Well Chris, how did your big brother get on, and the rest of the Tiernans lads?
    Great night on Saturday , very impressed with your team set up!

• Advertisement

J Madone wrote: »
    Well Chris, how did your big brother get on, and the rest of the Tiernans lads?
    Great night on Saturday , very impressed with your team set up!

they all threw a wobbly when they found out the race was done on points, so did a runner, besides, Tuck had to be back in work for 5

Bren inparticular was not a happy bunny, in fairness to him, he did a smashing time in the TT, got 4th,

on sunday, he thought the race lead was decided by time, so on that stage he punctured at the foot of the first climb on the second lap, lost close to a minute with perhaps only 20km left yet dug in like Cancellara (and im not bull****ting), and finally got onto the back of the group right on the line in Kanturk, so after all that effort in 2 stages, he only had 1 point, he was damn near tears. he thought he was still in the top 5

a special mention to some chap that helped Bren from Tiernans back onto the main group on the Sunday, Alan something, ill have his name tomorrow, and my god does this man deserve a clap on the back!!! trojan work by this guy.

as for the "team set up", you missed sunday night, six 12oz sirloin steaks and close to what seemed like 15 stone of pasta was cooked, and mainly munched by our very own strength and conditioning expert "John".

i swear that lad has hollow legs,

we had great craic on saturday though Ed, very nice to meet you indeed, some great stories and often inspiring ones too!

I thought the lads all knew that they were 3 separate races as A4s this year aren't allowed have stAge races. Great effort from Bren in the TT and from the puncture. Was glad to see John and Tuck getting top 10 in the bunch sprint. Was not an easy stage yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

I thought the lads all knew that they were 3 separate races as A4s this year aren't allowed have stAge races. Great effort from Bren in the TT and from the puncture. Was glad to see John and Tuck getting top 10 in the bunch sprint. Was not an easy stage yesterday!
    Tuck and John done great, but Dave also did really well to bring himself right from the back of the bunch, he was saying he was cramped up like mad but gave it a good old push to get back up to the group.

Knew I forgot someone , great weekend and nice to meet you Fran. The fastest wheel change man in the country!

Knew I forgot someone , great weekend and nice to meet you Fran. The fastest wheel change man in the country!
    Great to meet you to, i have to say Chris takes the honours for the quick wheel change for Bren on Sunday as i was driving. Good weekend had by all though, and by the end of the season i'm sure there will be one or two more weekends away.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭First Focus

Any sign of pictures on any site, its disappointing coverage, especially with the terrible conditions
    :confused:

Tuck and John done great, but Dave also did really well to bring himself right from the back of the bunch, he was saying he was cramped up like mad but gave it a good old push to get back up to the group.

I was in that group that chased back on after getting dropped on the climb. We were like men possessed! I tried attacking coming into Kanturk then, got about 100m up the road but the well was dry, couldn't even contest the sprint then. Have to get the tactics right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

So it was a 'pretend' stage race for A4? :eek:

Any idea where we can get the TT times for A2?A3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I thought the lads all knew that they were 3 separate races as A4s this year aren't allowed have stAge races.

AFAIK there is nothing in the rules that says A4s can't have proper time-based stage races.

The rules DO say:

"Holders of an A4 licence may only compete with other A4 licence holders with the exception of handicap races."

...but that just means they're not allowed in stage races with other cats.

Were transponders used in the other stages?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

AFAIK the rules state A4's cannot compete with other categories except as past of a handicap race.
    This is the reason they cannot take part in existing stage races.
    There is noting I can find in the regulations which stops the running of an A4 only stage race .....

The relevant rules are copied directly below

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/getattachment/6d0cb862-3446-4e33-90bd-555f9bd0ec31/TR-R--2011-Final-Jan-11-V18.aspx
    TECHNICAL REGULATIONS
    CHAPTER T1 - LICENCES
    1. All persons riding a race or carrying out any function, in connection with any team, or with the
    organisation of any race, will hold a current licence from their National Federation, save marshals or
    other persons who are assisting in the running of the race, but who are not the race organisers. The
    organiser will be able to identify these non-licence holders if requested by the Chief Commissaire.
    2. Before competing or participating in any approved race, a person may be requested to produce a current
    licence which must be signed by the licence holder to the appointed Commissaire, for inspection. Failure
    or refusal to do so may result in the person being prohibited from taking part in the race.
    3. A person, not being a member of a National Federation nor under suspension from a National
    Federation, may take out a one-day licence to comply with rules T1.1 and T1.2 above. One-day Licences
    are not valid for National Championships other than MTB Championships.
    4. A rider’s licence may contain both the name of his UCI Registered Team and his Cycling Ireland
    Registered Club. (See Glossary)
    5. A rider being a member of both a Team and a Club as defined in rule T1.4 above, unless given written
    approval by the Board of Cycling Ireland, must compete under the Team name save for the following
    exceptions.
    (a) A National, Provincial or County team selection
    (b) As a member of a mixed team
    (c) In a stage race where the approved special race regulations allows for a rider to compete as a
    guest, on a team other than that stated on his licence. No more that one guest rider will be
    permitted on any team with a maximum of 4 riders and 2 guest riders on a team of 5 or more
    riders.
    6. In respect of rules T1.5(b) and T1.5(c) above, a rider participating on a composite team or as a guest
    rider, must be in possession of a letter from his Team/Club giving permission to compete for a team other
    than that as stated on his licence.
    CHAPTER T2 - GRADING/CATEGORIES
    1. Grading which is based on age will be determined by subtracting the year of birth from the current year
    With the exception of Youth (10) and Youth (12).
    2. Licences will be issued for the following grades: -
    (a) Youth (10) A rider who has not yet reached their 10th birthday. Such a licence will be
    restricted and will exclude competition on open roads. But will permit the holder to
    complete in Mountain Bike, Track, Skills, Cyclo Cross and events, which are run
    on closed circuits. (Maximum gear is in line with gearing for 12’s)
    (b) Youth (12) Riders who have reached their 10th birthday, 11 and 12 years of age in the current
    year.
    (c) Youth (14) 13 and 14 years of age in the current year.
    (d) Youth (16) 15 and 16 year of age in the current year.
    (e) Junior* 17 and 18 year of age in the current year.
    (f) Espoirs (U23)* 19 to 22 years of age in the current year and not a member of a UCI Pro Team
    (g) Elite* 23 years of age or over in the current year.
    (h) Veterans* an optional class for those in the 40 year or over age group.
    A rider who satisfies the criteria above regarding a Veterans licence may only
    apply for such a licence on their initial licence application for that year
    The term Senior refers to Elite and Espoirs i.e. 19 years and up to the taking out of a Veteran’s Licence.
    * Categories may be A1, A2, A3 or A4
    Any rider who is members of a UCI registered team will be deemed to be an A+ rider.
    3. Where appropriate the following grades are recognised by the UCI.
    MALE: -
    (a) Youth Aged 16 years and under.
    (b) Juniors 17 and 18 years of age.
    (c) Under 23 19 to 22 years of age.
    (d) Elite 23 years of age and over including all those persons who are members of a UCI
    Pro Team .
    (e) Master 30 years of age and over and are not members of a UCI registered Trade Team.
    This is an optional category.
    FEMALE: -
    (a) Youth Aged 16 years and under.
    (b) Juniors 17 and 18 years of age.
    (c) Elite 19 years of age and over.
    (d) Master 30 years of age and over. This is an optional category.
    CHAPTER T3 - UPGRADING
    1. Points will be awarded on all open races in Ireland as follows: -
    (a) In road races up to 50km, points to be awarded 3-2-1;
    (b) In road races over 50km and up to 100km, points to be awarded: 6-5-4-3-2-1;
    (c) In road races over 100km, points to be awarded, 8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1;
    (d) National League road races points will be awarded 12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1;
    (e) In any road race with 20 riders or less points to be awarded 3-2-1;
    (f) National Senior Road Race Championship – Double points as detailed in (d) above;
    (g) National Veterans and National A3 Road Race Championship, National Junior Championships,
    National Women’s Championships 12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3.
    (h) National Time Trial Championships 6-5-4-3-2-1;
    (i) National Hill Climb Championship 6-5-4-3-2-1;
    (j) National Criterium Championship 12-10-8-6-4-2;
    (k) International Calendar single day races – Double points awarded as (d) above;
    (l) Stage races – per stage as (a), (b), (c) above in respect of road stages and time trial stages 3-2-1,
    final general classification - points to be awarded: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.;
    (m) International Calendar stage races – per stage as (f) and (h) above, final general classification
    points to be awarded 34-32-30-28-26-24-22-20-18-16-14-12-10-8-6;
    Points Table
    Placing 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    RR up to 50km T3.1.(a) 3 2 1
    RR 50 - 100km T3.1.(b) 6 5 4 3 2 1
    RR over 100km T3.1.(c) 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    National League T3.1.(d) 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    Race < 20 riders T3.1.(e) 3 2 1
    National RR Champ T3.1.(f) 24 22 20 18 16 14 12 10 8 6 4 2
    National Vet, A3 Senior Men,
    Junior & Womens RR Champs T3.1.(g) 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3
    National TT Champ T3.1.(h) 6 5 4 3 2 1
    National HC Champ T3.1.(i) 6 5 4 3 2 1
    National Crit Champ T3.1.(j) 12 10 8 6 4 2
    UCI Race Single Day T3.1.(k) 24 22 20 18 16 14 12 10 8 6 4 2
    Stage Race Final GC (1) T3.1.(l) 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    UCI Stage Race Final GC (2) T3.1.(m) 34 32 30 28 26 24 22 20 18 16 14 12 10 8 6
    Note (1) - Stage Points as (a), (b), (c) above in respect of road stages with 3-2-1 for TT Stage
    Note (2) - Stage Points as (f) and (h) above
    2. (a) Newcomers to the sport may be granted an A4 licence. Holders of an A4 licence may only
    compete with other A4 licence holders with the exception of handicap races. Those returning to the sport
    after an absence will normally be granted an A3 licence, however this may be reviewed following an
    application to the National Grading Officer.
    (b) An A3 rider on amassing 15 points in a calendar year will be upgraded to A2 with zero points.
    (c) An A3 rider with less than 15 points at year end will carry 50% of total points obtained, rounded
    down, to the following year.
    (d) An A4 rider on amassing 10 points, cumulative across years, will be upgraded to A3.
    3. (a) A junior on reaching senior grade will not be categorised as A1 or above.
    (b) An A2 rider on amassing 15 points in a calendar year will be upgraded to A1.
    (c) An A2 rider with less than 15 points at year end will carry 50% of the total obtained, rounded down,
    to the following year.
    (d) An A2 rider, on the first full year following their upgrade and each year thereafter, must obtain 6
    points or revert back to A3 grade with 7 points.
    (e) An A1 rider, on the first full year following their upgrade and each year thereafter, must obtain 6
    points or revert back to A2 with 7 points.
    4. (a) Senior riders in the year of their 40th birthday and each year thereafter may apply for a veteran’s
    designation on their licence.
    (b) A1 riders in the year of their 50th birthday or greater may apply for an A2 licence before the
    commencement of the following season. ;.
    (c) Subject to Board approval I.V.C.A. members not in possession of a Cycling Ireland licence will be
    deemed to be an A3 rider.
    Notes:
    i. A1 riders with zero points at the end of the 2010 season will not be automatically downgraded but may
    apply for downgrading to A2.
    ii. A2 riders with zero points at the end of the 2010 season will not be automatically downgraded but may
    apply for downgrading to A3.
    iii. Applications for re-grading in respect of points (i) and (ii) above must be submitted to the National
    Grading Officer during the months of November and June.
    iv. Certain conditions, possibly not in line with T3 above, may pertain to the re-grading of some riders going
    from season 2010 to 2011 to allow for the smooth changeover to the new system.
    5. Upon reaching the necessary points for upgrading, the riders will submit their licence and number to
    Cycling Ireland for re-issue with their new category.
    6. Commissaires have the power to withdraw a rider's licence if his points total is in excess of that required
    for upgrading and to submit it in accordance with rule T3.5 above.
    7. When a rider reaches the appropriate points total for re-grading the rider will be deemed to be re-graded
    from that point in time.
    8. When a grading dispute arises, this may be submitted to the National Grading Officer for resolution.
    9. Former International riders will normally be issued with an A1 licence. However on representation to the
    National Grading Officer he may be re-graded as A2 or A3.
    10. Riders may apply for re-grading to the Provincial Grading Officer. Similarly the Provincial Grading Officer
    may request, with the riders agreement, that they be re-graded. However all decisions are subject to the
    final approval of the National Grading Officer. Riders upgraded under this rule will be subject to the
    same conditions as a rider who has been re-graded in accordance with rules T3.2, T3.3 and T3.4 above.

• Advertisement

Any sign of pictures on any site, its disappointing coverage, especially with the terrible conditions

There are some here:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Limerick-Cycling-Club/148776895134506

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

A really great weekend. I learned a lot and I even enjoyed some of it.
    1. Stage racing is hard.
    2. Cork has some ROUGH roads. Double bar tape and sturdy bottle cages rough.
    3. I need to race more aggressively and not take so long to get my race-head on.
    4. You can never be too well warmed up for a sub-10km time-trial.
    5. There are loads of cyclists MUCH stronger than me.
    6. This will continue to be true no matter how much I improve.
    7. Stage racing is hard.

On an organisational basis, it's a bit of a mixed bag in the way it's run - absolutely fine if you're just riding it for experience and a laugh but if I was taking it really seriously and thought I had any chance of a good result I would probably find the lack of info about routes, times, standings etc. a bit frustrating. That said, the marshalling was exceptionally good for our (A2/3) races and the courses were challenging without ever feeling unsafe. The general atmosphere was really good and friendly without any of that cycling-is-serious-business attitude and officiousness that occasionally creeps in at some races.

The bunch felt good too - very well behaved and safe with very very little in the way of nervy braking or kamikaze attempts to make up for lack of legs with a surfeit of balls.

The winner, Shaw, rode like a monster. I had a quiet enough time on the first stage so didn't see him at all up the road in the break, but for stages 3 and 4 he just dominated proceedings with brute horsepower. On the last (horrifically wet) stage he rode the last two laps - about 44km - chasing the break unaided, while the rest of us took turns trying to jump off the front. He was playing with us, or that's how it seemed. He'd give you a gap and he wouldn't jump after you, but if more than one or two bridged to you he'd, gently gently, up the pace and tow the bunch up to you as you cooked out there in the wind. You could have 10 seconds but any more would be greeted with more watts and you would be back in the bunch where you belonged. He did this again and again and again, all while riding on the hoods and looking completely unflustered. Very impressive.

I have hundreds of photos, I might pick out a selection and send them onto Irish Cycling or else put them up online somewhere for people to see. Also, as aidan.offbeat said I put some on the Limerick CC facebook page.....
    Any idea where we can get the TT times for A2?A3?
    See attachments below! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

I have hundreds of photos, I might pick out a selection and send them onto Irish Cycling or else put them up online somewhere for people to see. Also, as aidan.offbeat said I put some on the Limerick CC facebook page.....

I was 26th here that was the easiest part of the weekend.

I have hundreds of photos, I might pick out a selection and send them onto Irish Cycling or else put them up online somewhere for people to see.

Would love if you could stick them up online, if it's not too much trouble....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭First Focus

Thanks Ballyhoura, i'd love if you put them up online also, thanks again

cormpat wrote: »
    Would love if you could stick them up online, if it's not too much trouble....
    Thanks Ballyhoura, i'd love if you put them up online also, thanks again

Alright lads will put em up later on if I get a chance...what website would you recommend to you that is free? I use flickr for other stuff but they start asking for money after you have uploaded 200 photos which would happen to me after about 1 race!

niceonetom wrote: »
    A really great weekend. I learned a lot and I even enjoyed some of it.
    1. Stage racing is hard.
    2. Cork has some ROUGH roads. Double bar tape and sturdy bottle cages rough.
    3. I need to race more aggressively and not take so long to get my race-head on.
    4. You can never be too well warmed up for a sub-10km time-trial.
    5. There are loads of cyclists MUCH stronger than me.
    6. This will continue to be true no matter how much I improve.
    7. Stage racing is hard.

On an organisational basis, it's a bit of a mixed bag in the way it's run - absolutely fine if you're just riding it for experience and a laugh but if I was taking it really seriously and thought I had any chance of a good result I would probably find the lack of info about routes, times, standings etc. a bit frustrating. That said, the marshalling was exceptionally good for our (A2/3) races and the courses were challenging without ever feeling unsafe. The general atmosphere was really good and friendly without any of that cycling-is-serious-business attitude and officiousness that occasionally creeps in at some races.

The bunch felt good too - very well behaved and safe with very very little in the way of nervy braking or kamikaze attempts to make up for lack of legs with a surfeit of balls.

The winner, Shaw, rode like a monster. I had a quiet enough time on the first stage so didn't see him at all up the road in the break, but for stages 3 and 4 he just dominated proceedings with brute horsepower. On the last (horrifically wet) stage he rode the last two laps - about 44km - chasing the break unaided, while the rest of us took turns trying to jump off the front. He was playing with us, or that's how it seemed. He'd give you a gap and he wouldn't jump after you, but if more than one or two bridged to you he'd, gently gently, up the pace and tow the bunch up to you as you cooked out there in the wind. You could have 10 seconds but any more would be greeted with more watts and you would be back in the bunch where you belonged. He did this again and again and again, all while riding on the hoods and looking completely unflustered. Very impressive.

the marshalling was excellent, and all fair play to everyone that helped out in that respect.

some things that need addressing would be the lack of information on routes, start and finish, times etc......

also, a cup of tea and a cake for the lads after they race wouldnt go a miss,

i personally think each team entered should be given a race pack, with Race Rules explained, Race Routes, time of sign ons, and where the start is, in relation to the sign on

also, i dont expect people to have the results as soon as the race ends, but again, explain in your race pack when the results will be issued, that way it would save everybody asking for them.

its just small things, but i think for a race the size of this one, a small race pack should be provided, because most of the competitors travelled from afar, and alot of the information seemed very "cloak and dagger"

the marshalling was excellent, and all fair play to everyone that helped out in that respect.

some things that need addressing would be the lack of information on routes, start and finish, times etc......

i personally think each team entered should be given a race pack, with Race Rules explained, Race Routes, time of sign ons, and where the start is, in relation to the sign on

also, i dont expect people to have the results as soon as the race ends, but again, explain in your race pack when the results will be issued, that way it would save everybody asking for them.

its just small things, but i think for a race the size of this one, a small race pack should be provided, because most of the competitors travelled from afar, and alot of the information seemed very "cloak and dagger"
    I couldn't agree more, the guy that was taking times at the finish on the TT missed about three people because he was being asked for times by so many people, it should be a case that you either wait around until it's all over to get them, or head off straight after the race and get them the next morning IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Results were issued at the sign on for each stage thats fairly Standard for most stage races.

Race packs are a good idea but do cost money and as far as i know there was no sponsor for the weekend.

At a stage race you wont get fed after each stage usually after the last stage at the prize giving.

Alright lads will put em up later on if I get a chance...what website would you recommend to you that is free? I use flickr for other stuff but they start asking for money after you have uploaded 200 photos which would happen to me after about 1 race!

I've never used this website but according to Wikipedia it says there's unlimited storage, plus it's run by the guys from Pirate Bay.

http://bayimg.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Originally Posted by Home:Ballyhoura
    pixie
    It's an Irish photo sharing website, alot of folks on the photography forum use it ;)

Results were issued at the sign on for each stage thats fairly Standard for most stage races.

Race packs are a good idea but do cost money and as far as i know there was no sponsor for the weekend.

At a stage race you wont get fed after each stage usually after the last stage at the prize giving.

i think for €50 per head, that could well cover a few sheets of paper for a small race, im not talking about every rider getting one, but each team should have one

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hammerheadjack

http://www.dropbox.com/ is excellent

Enjoyed the weekend, but couldn't understand why the A4's were not chipped to give a true placing, I know there are costs associated with the chips, but we paid the same price as the other racers.

On the racing itself, The race pack idea is a good one and would cost no more than printing out a few sheets with the information outlined above. I help organise our own events and know the work thats involved, but if people are constantly asking for clarifications or information then thats a sign that something can be improved.

i think for €50 per head, that could well cover a few sheets of paper for a small race, im not talking about every rider getting one, but each team should have one
    Even a few direction signs on the road for the start and finish points would be better. I'm not sure what the prizes where for the riders, but it seemed like they got very little for the 50 euro they paid IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Enjoyed the weekend, but couldn't understand why the A4's were not chipped to give a true placing, I know there are costs associated with the chips, but we paid the same price as the other racers.

I don't think it was about that Hammerheadjack. The A2/A3 guys didn't have chips either. It's all done via the camera in the van at the finish line. It was more about the apparent Cycling Ireland regulations supposedly. I did the A4 race myself, first open race in a couple of years and although I had a fairly poor TT, I would still have been in second place with a realistic chance of contending over the next 2 stages, so when I was told on the start line of the next stage that it was a points race I more or less threw the hat at it there and then and had to be convinced not to just pull out and go home on the spot, in fact I think some folks did just that.

That being said, it is a nice atmosphere down there. It's not the most clinically organised event and is famous in cycling circles for it, nonetheless it was still functional. It's kind of part of it's charm is it not ? I wouldn't criticise too much because the fact of the matter is that there is a lot of work involved in running one of these things and anyone who attempts it deserves some credit. The routes themselves were marshalled quite well I thought too. Also, I got to see what the roads of mid cork were like and in that respect I would like to formally apologise to Waterford County Council for all the mean things I said about them and their road crews over the years, stirling work folks. I have seen the grass on the other side and it is certainly not any greener. Considerably less so. Mental note, bring training wheels down next year, leave the bling bling at home.

Were the A4s taken for a bit of a ride here if ye'll excuse the poor pun. They had one 'stage' less than A2/3s and there are no cash prizes allowed for A4 races. About 50 signed on judging from TT results, so that's about 2,500 Euros in entry fees from A4s alone.
    It was good to have the event(s) for A4s, but you'd expect a bit of info beforehand about how it was to be run etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Were the A4s taken for a bit of a ride here if ye'll excuse the poor pun. They had one 'stage' less than A2/3s and there are no cash prizes allowed for A4 races. About 50 signed on judging from TT results, so that's about 2,500 Euros in entry fees from A4s alone.
    It was good to have the event(s) for A4s, but you'd expect a bit of info beforehand about how it was to be run etc.

The no cash prizes was/is a guideline rather than a rule. It is certainly not in the rules and regulations.
    As per previous quote there is also nothing in the rules preventing A4's from riding a stage race with other A4's. Kind of irrelevant here anyway as this was a stage race , simply one where the organisers had decided not to time but simplt to decide on placings.

There were 55 in the A4 Race to be exact.

To be honest I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't timed. I did a crap TT (29th place) but finished with the lead group in the 1st stage & and near the front of the bunch on the 2nd so should have moved up the GC. Instead I just ended up with 1 point per stage.

I wouldn't be bothered about prizes, I don't enter races because I think I can win money. I enter because I enjoy it (I would say most people would are the same here?).

There does seem to be an appetite amongst racers for a proper A4 Stage Race which would be decided by GC. There did seem to be a good spattering of racers from around Munster & Dublin (I came from Mayo). I would personally, love to do another as I really enjoyed this one.

I don't want to slag off Kanturk CC because by and large I very much enjoyed the race, & it was excellently marsheled.However they could let us know the routes beforehand. A link from map my ride would keep most people happy I think, & costs nothing.

Does anyone know are there any other A4 Stage Races on this summer?

• Advertisement

Thanks and fair play to Usher for having them up. 24 DNFs on final stage!!
    Any hope of 'full' A4 results anyone?

Organisation: Kanturk CC Country: IRL
    Class: na .
    Winner's Time: 2h20'36" Deadline: None
    Race Dist: 60.00 kms / 37.31 Miles Total Dist: 224.00 kms / 139.29 miles
    Speed: 25.60 kph / 15.92 mph Average: 31.01 kph / 19.28 mph
    Number of Starters: 78 Number of Finishers: 54
    Did Not Start: 2 Did Not Finish: 24

That race was ~92km long and the avg was 39kph(ish). The fact that the organisers could be so wrong about something so basic isn't exactly confidence inspiring. I haven't looked at the rest of the docs posted there, but I'm not sure why I would.

It was suggested to me that one possible reason for not timing the A4s time trial (if it can still be called that) was because they had screwed up the timekeeping so badly that an ad-hoc points system had to be adopted. Now I don't think that's what happened, that's pure conspiracy theory stuff, I just wish it sounded less plausible.

Thanks for posting that link H:B. If, while going through the weekend's photos, you come across a pic of someone in an Orwell jersey waving at the camera like a goon while everyone around him is trying to look PRO, that's me. Sorry about that.

The A4 results would be just points I'm afraid, so largely irrelevant. All I remember is that Barry? from Blarney won overall and he won well, attacking from the front a lot, fair play to him. A Clonmel rider was second I think. Mark Flavin of Dungarvan 3rd after the ride of the weekend on stage 3. A Fermoy rider was 4th, a Galtee rider, Stephen something perhaps ? thoroughly decent chap who won stage 2 was 5th and I was 6th.

Not surprised with the amount of DNF's on the last stage. The weather was lousy and the pace was hot in the A2 / A3 race on lap 1. A lot of fella's decided to pack it in early and salvage what was left of the bank holiday weekend and to be honest when I heard the rain banging on the window of the B&B I would have bolted for home as well if our team car driver hadn't told me not to be a baby !

There was prize money for the A4's too, between 2nd on the TT, 6th on the last stage and 6th overall I reckon I covered my petrol costs and the 2 nights B&B, so that was alright. There were full times taken from the A4 TT by the way Niceonetom. I had the list in my hands at the signon for stage 2, there was only one of them when I was there and it was being passed around and I was told that there were more earlier on but people had taken them, although they did have lots of sheets with points on them. The winner did 10:47. I was on 10:59, a few others were there or thereabouts and there was a fair spread after that. Did anyone happen to hear what happened to the girl who was knocked off by a tractor during the TT by the way ?

To be fair, I thought the racing itself was quite well organised. There is a casual nature to certain aspects of the event which might frustrate some when compared to RAS Mumhann or Gorey for example, but as I said before, thats part of it and with a significant other from the locality, my observation is that the casual, relaxed attitude is kind of part of the makeup of the place ! If you just go with it, you will be fine.

That race was ~92km long and the avg was 39kph(ish). The fact that the organisers could be so wrong about something so basic isn't exactly confidence inspiring. I haven't looked at the rest of the docs posted there, but I'm not sure why I would.

It was suggested to me that one possible reason for not timing the A4s time trial (if it can still be called that) was because they had screwed up the timekeeping so badly that an ad-hoc points system had to be adopted. Now I don't think that's what happened, that's pure conspiracy theory stuff, I just wish it sounded less plausible.

Thanks for posting that link H:B. If, while going through the weekend's photos, you come across a pic of someone in an Orwell jersey waving at the camera like a goon while everyone around him is trying to look PRO, that's me. Sorry about that.
    Well I think you are spot on about the time keeping, because I seen the mistakes with my own eyes in the A4 TT.

Well I think you are spot on about the time keeping, because I seen the mistakes with my own eyes in the A4 TT.

Really!? What happened?

Interesting, what mistakes did you see ? PM me if more appropriate, I would be interested to know. My own time was accurate, and the time of the riders I knew were accurate also, but that represents a group of perhaps half a dozen people.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Did anyone happen to hear what happened to the girl who was knocked off by a tractor during the TT by the way ?

I only have second or third hand info on that. Apparently she's okay - bruised and a bit battered but basically okay. The bike was a write-off I think.

From what I heard (again, this is not direct info here) the commissaires did not take the incident overly seriously and, once they knew she was not badly injured, were happy to ignore the incident. The guards were, I've heard, equally happy to make nothing of it. This, if true leaves a much worse taste in my mouth that any lackadaisical timekeeping or not knowing how long your races are. It's one thing to be relaxed about punctuality, you can even see that as part of the easy going culture of the area, but if that relaxed attitude extends to rider safety and crashes with tractors, well, that is not okay.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has more direct knowledge of the incident.

In fairness what Fran saw was riders being timed going over the finish line,but the timekeeper was unsure of some of the riders numbers (because there numbers were pinned between their shoulders and near impossible to make out at 50kmh)
    Each one of these riders came back to the finish and their id was established, nobody was left incognito or with out a time.

Just to add fair play to these people who time and referee these races, it is unpaid and done for the love of the sport.

I only have second or third hand info on that. Apparently she's okay - bruised and a bit battered but basically okay. The bike was a write-off I think.

From what I heard (again, this is not direct info here) the commissaires did not take the incident overly seriously and, once they knew she was not badly injured, were happy to ignore the incident. The guards were, I've heard, equally happy to make nothing of it. This, if true leaves a much worse taste in my mouth that any lackadaisical timekeeping or not knowing how long your races are. It's one thing to be relaxed about punctuality, you can even see that as part of the easy going culture of the area, but if that relaxed attitude extends to rider safety and crashes with tractors, well, that is not okay.

I didn't see what happend myself, but two women came up to us that seen it, the tractor was from of the fields that the TT went alongside.

This one is it??? :p;)

157514.jpg
    Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Did anyone happen to hear what happened to the girl who was knocked off by a tractor during the TT by the way

I know the girl, she was OK thank god only torn muscles in her back. The tractor came up along side her and was there for about a minute before he veered in on top of her and took her out!! She was lucky it was not more serious, but they managed to get paint of the tractor off the bike and as a result know the driver so it is up to the people involved if they wish to pursue it further.

• Advertisement
Advertisement