Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy in Ireland

Options
  • 02-05-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Guys, Whats the status of pharmacy in Ireland in May 2011. Trying to get information.Is it still difficult....Any info appreciated I know it difficult to project into future...
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Emiedoo wrote: »
    Guys, Whats the status of pharmacy in Ireland in May 2011. Trying to get information.Is it still difficult....Any info appreciated I know it difficult to project into future...
    Thanks

Not exactly peachy...

http://www.ipu.ie/more-news/735-pharmacists-respond-to-harsh-cuts.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

What do you mean about it being difficult? The course or the job??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Emiedoo

Thanks for info to press release. I appreciate it. I trying to understanf if if it a good career choice. Whats the starting salary etc and possibilities in the next 10 years. I have been accepted into pharmacy and grateul but I am worried it is not the best option as I am35 + and strapped for cash too but not sure if to invest.. Thanks.... Already have a job so one of the lucky ones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Thanks for info to press release. I appreciate it. I trying to understanf if if it a good career choice. Whats the starting salary etc and possibilities in the next 10 years. I have been accepted into pharmacy and grateul but I am worried it is not the best option as I am35 + and strapped for cash too but not sure if to invest.. Thanks.... Already have a job so one of the lucky ones

I'm 41, have been in the retail pharmacy biz for 23 years, over 15 as a pharmacist.
    If I had known at 21 what I know now, I'd have studied just about ANYTHING else.
    If I was 35, sitting on an offer to study Pharmacy and had a job, and knew what I know now, THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH that I'd leave a job - any job - to try to become a pharmacist.

Do yourself a favour...

Run away from Pharmacy as fast as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Is there any chance you could expand on that locum-motion? Just a few reasons as to why you feel that way?
    As someone finishing 1st year in Pharmacy it's not very reassuring to hear that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I just graduated, prospects are by no means peachy but there are jobs out there. Other professions are much worse off.

I'm 41, have been in the retail pharmacy biz for 23 years, over 15 as a pharmacist.
    If I had known at 21 what I know now, I'd have studied just about ANYTHING else.
    If I was 35, sitting on an offer to study Pharmacy and had a job, and knew what I know now, THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH that I'd leave a job - any job - to try to become a pharmacist.

Do yourself a favour...

Run away from Pharmacy as fast as you can.

So you would rather be a labourer etc? The money for pharmacy is still relatively good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Starting salary varies and I'm not going to disclose it on an internet forum. Possibilities in the next 10 years are unclear. Very much at the mercy of the HSE adn James Reilly. At present it's OK but will probably get worse. There are a good few of my class that have emigrated and some not working in pharmacy at all. It takes 5 years to train and the life long learning will be brought in by the time you graduate so I dunno if it would be the best option for you at 35+.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Emiedoo

Hi Everyone, Thanks for replyiing to my thread. Your comments much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Raindropper

I am an employer in pharmacy on the south Dublin city, the locum rate this month is 25 euro an hour, and from talking to locums they have no problem getting jobs. Permanent pharmacist starting out are getting around the same. At the moment I have been trying to get someone permanent, to work every sat and 3 evenings a week, with no joy! There are plenty of jobs out there for pharmacists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭deepimpact

Jesus, what is it with people posting rates?

The hourly rate is an agreement between employer and locum and is of no business to a public internet forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

lots of peoples payscales are readily available to the public. I see no need for secrecy.

Advertisement