Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disk Drive Not Working: Help Appreciated

• 02-05-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, recently installed Football Manager 2011 without a hitch and played it for a few hours when i got a message asking me to insert the disk even though the disk was inserted. I quit the game and tried again but it wouldn't load. I then tried reinstalling the game but it wouldn't. I tried another game and it wouldn't work either, so i'm guessing it has something to do with the D-Drive and not the game itself.

I read a similar thread on here that suggested testing it with Microsoft Fix It, it didn't work, someone else suggested reinstalling the drivers, but i'm not sure how to do that or if i should?

As an aside, when i went into D-Drive properties, it stated in Device Status, that the drive is working correctly.

Anyhow, i'd appreciate if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem is.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

try a dvd lens cleaner kit, 2 euro in a 2euro shop, leave it to dry out for tens minutes then try a disk,use a tiny amount of the fliud on the dvd brushes.most of the time its a bit of dirt on the dvd lens.stops it loading up the disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Did cleaning the lens work for you?

If not
    Can you tell us what type of drive it is? (this will also be in the "Hardware" tab of the drives properties)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

Work around and generally useful, so no need for inserting CDs and DVDs while playing games:
    http://m0002.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_football_manager_2011.shtml

Tbh dunno which of those 6 versions you should download but I always make copy of my original game files

If one version is not working, then download another fix and try.. etc until you find which one is working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

wolf99 wrote: »
    Did cleaning the lens work for you?

If not
    Can you tell us what type of drive it is? (this will also be in the "Hardware" tab of the drives properties)

No i haven't got the lens cleaner kit yet.

The drives are:

PLDS DVD & RW DS - 8A4S
    TOSHIBA MK2555GSX

So i bought a lens cleaner disk tonight it's not working - the drive won't recognise it just like the other disks. Any other ideas on what may be wrong?

• Advertisement

you put a tiny amount of fluid on the 2 brushes,try and play it, or just click on it, you need to get the disc going round for about 2- to 3minutes to clean the lens, there may be no data on the disc thats in pc windows format ,there may be special dvd discs avaidable for cleaning pc/laptop dvd lens, drives ,see pcworld or maplins.Has the drive got a play button .
    put in a music cd ,does the drive acess light flash, is it trying to read the cd.
    see http://www.ehow.com/how_5062879_clean-lens-dvd-burner.html
    http://www.computerdust.com/store/computer_cleaning_supplies.html#memorex_cd_dvd_lens_cleaner
    some come with an audio track to tell you when the lens is clean.
    the drive should try and acess the disk anytime you insert a music cd ,it should appear in my computer
    as audio disc.
    its easier to clean a dvd video player,you just press play,the disc spins up.some pc drives have a triangle/ play button.or next /previous track play buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭baz909

It sounds like the lens is dead.

You should be able to pickup a cheap dvd drive from the adverts.ie section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Have you tried another cd? Does anything read in it?

If it is a dead drive and OEM drive is cheap, you just need to establish whether it is a Sata or IDE drive, just look at the cable going into the drive,

One is a power and is relatively small and standard the other will be either the IDE or SATA cable

IDE: ide_133_cable.jpg

SATA: SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg

Something like this is what your looking at picking up: http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/07_OPTICAL/04_DVD/productdetails/15573264/Samsung_DVD_RW_burner_SH_S223C_Black/SH_S223C_BEBE/default.aspx

a new dvd rom drive is only 20 euro, it makes no sense 2 drives failing at the same time ,maybe a data or power cable is loose from the motherboard.

PLDS DVD & RW DS - 8A4S is DVD drive

TOSHIBA MK2555GSX is hard disk

I recon DVD drive is dead but hopefully cleaning lens will help. I never did lens cleaning myself because didnt want to spend money and hassle on that since new drives are so cheap. Next time my pops up, will buy external USB one.. rearly in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

from personal expierence best bet is to download steam :D no more disks needed.

also if you have it installed already another solution, can't remember if it was suggested or not is to download an image of the disk and use a vitual disk emulator for this. such as daemon tools is what i use.

yeah you can just buy a external drive for about 20-30 euro also

Uch external DVD drive's are kind of pointless its easy and cheap to put an new OEM drive in..

Just check the cables first.

fionny wrote: »
    Uch external DVD drive's are kind of pointless its easy and cheap to put an new OEM drive in..

Just check the cables first.

Pointless? because its handy to connect thru USB and because its handy to carry around to another PC?

easy to put new OEM? well.. its certanly not difficult but wouldn't call it easier than external.

I think they are pointless because they use yet ANOTHER power outlet used and another usb port.

Each to their own of course.

ricman wrote: »
    you put a tiny amount of fluid on the 2 brushes,try and play it, or just click on it, you need to get the disc going round for about 2- to 3minutes to clean the lens, there may be no data on the disc thats in pc windows format ,there may be special dvd discs avaidable for cleaning pc/laptop dvd lens, drives ,see pcworld or maplins.Has the drive got a play button .
    put in a music cd ,does the drive acess light flash, is it trying to read the cd.
    see http://www.ehow.com/how_5062879_clean-lens-dvd-burner.html
    http://www.computerdust.com/store/computer_cleaning_supplies.html#memorex_cd_dvd_lens_cleaner
    some come with an audio track to tell you when the lens is clean.
    the drive should try and acess the disk anytime you insert a music cd ,it should appear in my computer
    as audio disc.
    its easier to clean a dvd video player,you just press play,the disc spins up.some pc drives have a triangle/ play button.or next /previous track play buttons.

The cleaning disk won't play at all, just like the other disks.
    fionny wrote: »
    Have you tried another cd? Does anything read in it?

If it is a dead drive and OEM drive is cheap, you just need to establish whether it is a Sata or IDE drive, just look at the cable going into the drive,

One is a power and is relatively small and standard the other will be either the IDE or SATA cable

IDE: ide_133_cable.jpg

SATA: SATA-Signal-Cable-1.jpg

Something like this is what your looking at picking up: http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/07_OPTICAL/04_DVD/productdetails/15573264/Samsung_DVD_RW_burner_SH_S223C_Black/SH_S223C_BEBE/default.aspx
    Being honest, i wouldn't have a clue of what to do in this regard, i was hoping it would be a problem i could fix without taking the comp apart:) I think my best bet is to take it into a computer shop and let them fix it for me. If a new drive only costs 20 quid, it should only cost €50 or €60 to fix it i reckon. Thanks anyway.

No worries, if your not comfortable doing it then go for it but it is a really simple operation, small guide here:

http://www.pchardware.co.uk/install-optical-drive.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

i can see where your coming from, but the one i got uses two usb ports and no power lead. so you can just use them till you install something. then use deamon
    tools. :D

Advertisement