Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2500k Vs 2600k ?

Options
  • 02-05-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭

Im bewildered by the host of options for my next upgrade .(First 'full' upgrade in 2 or 3 years !)Ive currently got an E8600 @4.5GHz (can bench at 4.6+ and have seen a sub 10sec SuperPi 1M time but Im not fooling myself that thats a 24/7 stable OC) ,mobo is Maximus 2 Formula and GTX295(replacing it with a 5970) .I mostly use pc for gaming at 2560x1600 res and obviously like to overclock.'Bundles' seem to vary wildly in price from GB£299 to 599 on Ebay .
    Heres some of my questions...

Is the 2600k worth the extra dough over the 2500k?
    Is it true 2600k is far more likely to pass the 5GHz mark OC-ing?
    Best motherboard ?Value sweet spot vs max oc speed?
    RAM?Does it matter as much as with Core2Duos?
    Link to best (bundled) seller?
    8gigs RAM dual chanel the way to go?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

The only difference that matters between the 2600k and 2500k is that the 2600k features hyper-threading, which is only useful in a limited number of desktop applications. For all other purposes there is almost no difference, they perform the same in games and in overclocking. In fact to overclock the 2600k it's is recommended to disable hyper-threading, rendering it's one advantage moot, hyper-threading can even stymie games performance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

2011abc wrote: »
    Im bewildered by the host of options for my next upgrade .(First 'full' upgrade in 2 or 3 years !)Ive currently got an E8600 @4.5GHz (can bench at 4.6+ and have seen a sub 10sec SuperPi 1M time but Im not fooling myself that thats a 24/7 stable OC) ,mobo is Maximus 2 Formula and GTX295(replacing it with a 5970) .I mostly use pc for gaming at 2560x1600 res and obviously like to overclock.'Bundles' seem to vary wildly in price from GB£299 to 599 on Ebay .
    Heres some of my questions...

Is the 2600k worth the extra dough over the 2500k?
    Is it true 2600k is far more likely to pass the 5GHz mark OC-ing?
    Best motherboard ?Value sweet spot vs max oc speed?
    RAM?Does it matter as much as with Core2Duos?
    Link to best (bundled) seller?
    8gigs RAM dual chanel the way to go?

Thanks!

1)In general no, for gaming especially no. Only some heavy 3D modelling/video editing stuff take enough advantage of hyperthreading to make it worth it.

2)If anything it would overclock worse

3)ASRock P67 Pro3 is a pretty decent motherboard if you aren't planning on SLI/XFire

4)Try and get 1.5V RAM, a cheap 1600 CL9 kit is probably best value for money.

5)Dunno, HWVS is cheapest if you are buying enough parts to overcome the €30 shipping

6)Considering how cheap RAM is at the moment, 8GB is a good idea if you have the budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Definitely go for the 2500k... I went a bit power hungry and opted for the 2600k and wish I'd just saved the price difference/put it towards an SSD.

Hell, I've even gone and disabled hyperthreading at the moment which makes it even more of a waste! (some apps just weren't making good use of 8 cores)

Advertisement