Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend an integrated cooker & hob?

• 02-05-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

We're looking to replace the crapped out Belling that came with the house.

I've a budget of about €2K max. I realise this is a lot, but I want to get something of quality that will last 10+ years and be energy efficient.

For starters, I'm looking at getting an induction-type hob. Are they all that they're cracked up to be?

Are Miele the best? Are there any makes to avoid? Is getting a combi cooker-microwave a good idea? Are self-cleaning ovens (the pyro-type) all that good and is it dangerous to have them running so hot? Do they need a separate vent for self-cleaning?

Any options greatly appreciated.

DW.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

The induction hobs are very good. I have fitted three of them for my mother,father and a neighbour. All three think they are amazing. You might have to buy new pots. They need to be ferrous. They are not like using other electric powered cooktops. The power transfer is more similar to gas. When you adjust the power setting the change is visible instantly in the pan/pot. The pyro ovens are very good for cleaning. My sister has one and I regret not buying one. As to which brand, Meile are said to be best although you pay for it. I wouldn't recommend paying big money for an oven and hob though. Buy reasonably priced appliances. As to lasting ten years, I wouldn't count on it. Manufacturers don't make appliances like they used to. I bought all AEG appliances and if I could go back I would buy Zannusi, in my opinion same appliance different badges. My mam bought a Dietrich Cooker, top is induction oven is pyro. Personally I think its a fabulous appliance, when it did break though, I think within first 2 years it took 3-4 weeks to get it fixed, parts had to come from England. Thats a lot of takeaway. My experience with AEG was the same time frame for repairs, again parts from UK. Happy Shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

nice budget - i personally would go with the neff brand -or at least a german brand - kal up in city west do the neff range and you can arrange to go up to one of thier demo mornings i think ,so you can try before you buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, induction is all it's cracked up to be and more. Our DeDietrich is still going after 11 years. It's a combi induction gas hob which is handy for when the power goes out. One of the induction rings stopped working some months back and I took it apart and re-seated connections and looked for dry solder joints, didn't find any re-assembled and it started working again and has continued to do so.

Despite the good service, I wouldn't recommend DeDietrich because they have changed hands several times and identifying model numbers is near impossible and part availability is supposedly dreadful.

When looking at the possibility of replacing our hob, I had more or less concluded i would get this one: http://www.appliancesonline.co.uk/product/s7c900tciwok-stoves-accolade-induction-hob-black-13126.aspx

S7-C900TCIWOK_BK_01m_p.jpg

As i do use a Wok.

Many, many appliances are made by just one factory and are just re-badged. with various brand names This one seemed to me to be identical to a Kuppersbusch model:

http://mydeco.com/p/kuppersbusch-built-in-5-zone-wok-induction-hob-ekiw9570f/GB69BFC0WLRI57JZYTFFUJNTO66P4NS4FV3UGSUI/

product_zoom2357.jpg

Now don't they look pretty similar except for the control layout, which having seen how they are made inside is simple to differentiate a bit to give the appearance of different models.

£1100 vs £3800 - now let me see, which would I choose - Hmmmm... difficult decision that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 spikey95

Hi cnocbui

Which induction cooker did you buy in the end? When I click on either of the links, it doesn't seem to work.

Never mind. I just realised that it's http://www.kitchenscience.co.uk/cooking/hobs/built_in_electric_hobs/stoves_s7_c900tciwok.html

How is it by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I didn't upgrade because my original De Dietrich is still going fine. One of the elements went on the blink, I took it out and and had a fiddle with likely causes like oxidised connectors and it has been good since.

If I was to replace it it would be with this: http://www.gdhaonline.co.uk/Stoves/Products/Hobs/S7-C900TCiWOK-900mm-Induction-Wok-Hob/444448061

Think I could find it a bit cheaper if I looked harder, but it is still good at that price I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

Hi Spikey

I wouldn't take that type of option if I were you. I cook with a wok all the time. I started out using a non stick one, this is a joke for wok cooking due to the high temp needed, the expensive wok got destroyed. I then moved house and put in an electric hob with an added side burner in gas. I bought a cheap wok in one of the Asia type food markets. Never looked back. After years of cooking with a wok, I find myself banging it around on the hob whilst stirring the food. You could never do that with induction. If you want let me know and i'll private message you a photo of my hobs.

Best of luck pal.

Hi Wytch

What you said makes a lot of sense. I never thought about the impact moving and banging the wok around. An induction cooker will eventually start to give way.

Thanks for your offer of a photograph though; I managed to see it first hand at a friend's house. They're pricey but certainly a beauty.

Advertisement