Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen Disco in Supernova

Options
  • 02-05-2011 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey, just heard that it says on facebook that there is a new teen disco "Disconova" starting in Supernova Ballincollig on Fri May 20th. €10 entry fee includes free ice skating and free video games. Anyone know where to get tickets for this? Im not on Facebook but my 13 and 15 year old would love this.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'd guess there'd be information on the Facebook page itself.

On a side note, I'll never be sending my kids to a Teen Disco, not after the stuff I got up to :D

edit:
    Website here http://www.supernova.ie/
    Should be able to contact them or get the answers directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I'd be worried about teenage discos in general. I've found (from going myself, from taking siblings, and from seeing them about town) that some of them can get very rough, with people looking for fights. I'd be wary of commercial promoters, but I found the one's run by community organisations like sports clubs and youth services were much better policed. They usually had parents managing the security, with the parents making sure there was no messing.

Another thing to look out for is Blast*. They run live gigs, with bands rather than a DJ, usually during the day. And I've never heard of a problem at them.

Edit: A couple of tips;
    The promoter should have his number available for parents. I made mine available and fielded a few calls from parents checking out the story, from starting and finishing times, to policies on alcohol and security to patrons ratios. I was only a young fella myself so the owner of the bar fielded a few calls as well, so you should be able to check out with the actual venue as well, rather than the promoter who may only be hiring the place.

Check with the bouncers or staff what time it'll be finishing, even if you've already checked with the promotor, they can change times. Also kids can get the times wrong, and most discos will kick them out on the street and abandon them and kicking out is when things can get rough, you really don't want any teenagers hanging around on their own after it finishes. The bouncers won't interfere if something kicks off after they've closed the disco.

If this is a series of discos (i.e. there's been one or two of them before) chances are the Gardai community officer for the area will have checked it out, mine was checked the first time we opened. The guard was in plain clothes, paid entry and didn't tell anyone who she was until she had hung around for a while. If you check with Anglesea St. or the local station for the area, they should be able to tell you if they've checked the place out and what the disco is like.

*Although I think they're vastly overcharging kids. I ran a few underage rock gigs as a teenager and Blast as a professional outfit don't have the local knowledge and community feel of gigs run by local bands and the like. They're good at what they do and put on a good show, but there's something special about a gig organised by teenagers for teenagers, or by amatuer promotors trying to service the underage music community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Tennis Village 5aside

Thanks for the advice guys. I did check it out with Supernova and they say that the facebook page is www.facebook.com/disconovacork. They say that there will be plenty of staff on and the kids arent allowed leave during the disco or they wont be allowed come back in again if they do. Tickets arent on sale until Monday but the kids get disco, free ice skating and free video games. Its a far cry from cold dingy school halls in the 80s :), my two girls are so excited

Advertisement