Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tires for a hybrid

• 02-05-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Lo All,
    I have a Trek 7.1Fx that currently has 700x35 tires on it. They are now getting a little bit on the worn side and I was thinking of replacing them.
    I have Conti Gatorskins on my road bike and was wondering is there a similar tire for a Hybrid, ie good puncture protection.
    Also I was thinking of coming down a size maybe to 700x32. Would anyone see an issue with this? The bike will be doing the Ring of Kerry in July and as I have a relation coming from abroad to cycle it I want it to be right. Mostly the bike is used for the odd commute to work and for pulling the kids bike trailer at the weekends.

Thanks in advance

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Go for it, most hybrids are going to be fine with 32, maybe even with 28s.

You can get Gatorskins for the hybrid too, they'll be nice. If you're looking for something a bit harder, Schwalbe Marathons are pretty bombproof - but not as nice a ride as the gatorskins.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭enoonan

Thanks Civilian Target. I will check them both out.

Eoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I have a Trek 7.3 and started this thread about the very same subject: linky. In the end I went with Continental Gator Hardshells (available here if you're interested).

I went for the 28s and could definitely feel the difference over the 35s my bike came with. Some say the hardshells offer less grip than other tyres. That may be true, but I haven't had a puncture to date with them over the last 10 months and 1000 KMs.

Thanks Route66.
    Thats great info.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Headdy

Hi Eoin, Beware the 28mm, I took some good, well intended advice here last week to go from 35 to 28. The 28 was fine on the back but for some reason it wouldn't sit right on the front. I ended going for 32mm f&b, they sit well and the ride is good too, it was noticeably worse on 28's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Headdy wrote: »
    Hi Eoin, Beware the 28mm, I took some good, well intended advice here last week to go from 35 to 28. The 28 was fine on the back but for some reason it wouldn't sit right on the front

Did you change the tubes? You don't want to be squeezing a fat tube into a narrow tyre.

28mm tyres are generally considered fine for hybrid wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Headdy

Lumen wrote: »
    Did you change the tubes? You don't want to be squeezing a fat tube into a narrow tyre.

28mm tyres are generally considered fine for hybrid wheels.

did on the back not on front - probably the reason, guy in shop didnt offer that reason though and gave me a 32mm as replacement (Halfords).

I have a lot to learn.......................

Thanks Headdy & Lumen.

I'm guessing from above comments that I should have no prob getting a 28 onto the rims that I have(Bontrager 750 wheels)?

Eoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

enoonan - I have a Trek 7.1 FX. After a few punctures I replaced the Bontragers with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x32. Now 6000kms without incident!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

enoonan wrote: »
    Thanks Headdy & Lumen.

I'm guessing from above comments that I should have no prob getting a 28 onto the rims that I have(Bontrager 750 wheels)?

Eoin

I'm sure your wheels will be fine with 28s but the only way to know for sure is to measure them!

And yes, the ride is harder with 28s but the bike is faster! Choices, choices ...

• Advertisement

Thanks Wishbone Ash.

Will have to look at all the choices and see.

Thanks all

Eoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

The wheel rims on the 7.1FX are wider than your standard road wheel. That may be why the 28s weren't the best...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

cdaly_ wrote: »
    The wheel rims on the 7.1FX are wider than your standard road wheel. That may be why the 28s weren't the best...

I googled a bit last night. Loads of people are running those Bontrager 750 wheels with 28s. Was probably the inner tube - that explains why only one of the two wheels posed a problem.

Halfords man should have checked boards ;-)

Advertisement