Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TENCH AND BREAM IN THE CANAL??

Options
  • 02-05-2011 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

was wondering if anyone knows if there is any tench or bream on any stretches of the Royal Canal near Leixlip?? If any are they plentiful?

Would it be best to groundbait a swim the night before or would it be ok to do it the morning you are fishing?

I went fishing the Grand Canal at Sallins last weekend and stayed for hours with no luck, not even a perch or roach :confused:

I was using the right techniques and baits so this is the reason for seeking some knowledge for the Royal. Im dying to catch my first tench or bream and would be greatful of any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 derek1717

the "harbour" beside the train station in maynooth is fishing well nice bream and tench caught regurlarly

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

Thanks for that Derek, really going to try to get out there soon, ive never caught a bream or tench but ive done my research (if not to much) and think i could get a bit of sucess.

Could you tip me off on good techneque and groundbaited days/night before? or morning of fishing be ok?

would love a bit of info to get top results on the venue, pm me if you have the time.

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

the straight stretch up to the bridge before the harbour is good in the evening for tench

thanks for that Shblob, will be getting out soon, could you tell me does a partical mix work best or sensas black magic be a good choice, my last session on the grand canal i think i saturated the swim with to much groundbait :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Id do either 1kg swim stim (green) with 1kg bread crumb, or just the crumb, and in that half a tin of corn and half a pint of maggots, and feed gradually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

any one fish it in kenagh longford or ballymahon area??.....

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

i fished in leixlip today and got nothing. not even a bite. i raked the swim three days ago and prebaited since then.really disappointed to tell the truth.
    we used to fish the canal in leixlip a lot up until about 5 years ago and caught a lot of tench up to specimen size but the last few years when we've given a swim a go it hasnt produced.
    anyone had any sessions in leixlip in the last two years that were up to much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

lads lads lads, can you please relax on namin specific locations. your only giving undesirables a headsup to rape your hotspots. pms please;)

delsalmon, ive been fishing for two to three years, I understand 100% where your coming from, but I have no intension of raping any "hotspots".

I aint got a car so to fish I have to use public transport, not a very easy task when you have to travel from Dublin to midlands or west, so that is my reason for seeking advice, is that what the board is for? :confused:

Im not trying to sound bad but google hasnt provided much info on certain topics so i was looking for first hand advice, Im no poacher, I have very good knowledge of fishing but want to expand.

Of course your right on naming specific spots but a little detail wouldnt go amiss. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

delsalmon, ive been fishing for two to three years, I understand 100% where your coming from, but I have no intension of raping any "hotspots".

I aint got a car so to fish I have to use public transport, not a very easy task when you have to travel from Dublin to midlands or west, so that is my reason for seeking advice, is that what the board is for? :confused:

Im not trying to sound bad but google hasnt provided much info on certain topics so i was looking for first hand advice, Im no poacher, I have very good knowledge of fishing but want to expand.

Of course your right on naming specific spots but a little detail wouldnt go amiss. :)

I think what Dell is saying is you have every right to ask on a public forum but the answers should be sent by PM. there are a lot of fish munchers online that will take the information provided and use it to remove the fish that the rest of us want to catch and release

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Anyone who gives out the locations of their favourite swims on freely accessed waters needs their head examined.
    You are supposed to fish and find out. That is a vital part of this hobby.
    And it is not just fish killers that mess up water.
    Slobs that leave their litter behind provoke landowners to close off access in many places. Rebuilding a farmer's trust and getting back in can take years.
    Pass the info and some day you will realise exactly how much doing this hurts your own results. Then you learn another fishing fact: learning to keep quiet is one of the essential lessons you must learn on your way to fishing mastery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

coolwings wrote: »
    Then you learn another fishing fact: learning to keep quiet is one of the essential lessons you must learn on your way to fishing mastery.

+1
    i know i am the only person that fishes my favourite spot for bream. only around 5 people know about it, and only 2 of us know how good it actually is ;)

+1
    i know i am the only person that fishes my favourite spot for bream.;)

Its such a great thing to have a place to yourself. I used to have a spot, small resesvoir, only me and 3 mates know about, last summer it was producing good perch and roach, the odd rudd. It seems to have deminished nowadays :(

And sorry if i came across as picky in my last post, didnt mean for it to sound like that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

this is what i mean shane
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056244801
    i wasnt reffering to you shane, where i live i have first hand experience of a certain group of foreign nationals wiping out whole sections of water, fact, i have been threatened with weapons, abusive and intimidating behaviour. this is a fact and not fishytales. it has all been reported to gardai, ifi, local litterwarden, and acted upon everytime. its ok asking about a general area, then pms about more specific areas rather than have specific areas and all manner of info on them. loose lips sink ships

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

shblob wrote: »
    Id do either 1kg swim stim (green) with 1kg bread crumb, or just the crumb, and in that half a tin of corn and half a pint of maggots, and feed gradually.

can you use a fly rod flys in the canal would anything take a fly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

can you use a fly rod flys in the canal would anything take a fly

The only thing worth trying to catch on a fly on a canal is perch or pike on big lures but it's hard to get a cast in most places with trees and ditch lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭jay tipperary

thanks for the reply

Advertisement