Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Lemass

Options
  • 02-05-2011 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

I did a search on Lemass in the forum and I couldn't find a specific thread on the man considered by many including Garrett Fitzgearld as the best holder of the Taoiseach office in our history. A man linked to the 12 Apostles, who lost a brother during the Civil War, who was Minister for Industry and Commerce at the height of the economic war with Britain, who was Minister for Supplies during WW2 before taking over from Dev as Taoiseach in 1959.
    The son-in-law tarnished the family rep in later years. What was Lemass the man like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭teekayd25

RTE screened a documentary about him maybe around the mid 90s . . . found it recently on a video tape and will hopefully get around to uploading it some time.

Not a FF supporter myself but he did seem to have a very positive influence on the state . . . seemed like a fairly sincere character who had a good grasp of industrial / economic issues. Also held two meetings with his Northern Irish counterpart, which was considered a progressive / open-minded move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

This should trigger a great discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

He seems to have been a man with alot of substance behind him. There are not many blunders in his records. Any moments of controversy that he was linked to seem unsignificant to me. His visit to Stormont and courting relations with O'Neill was seen as controversial by some at the time but I think is now recognised as being progressive. Similarily when he said that FF was a slightly constitutional party he was paving the way for their progression into a position where thay could come to power IMO rather than discounting democracy. He had Devs confidence for a long time thus similar criticisms could be levelled to him as get thrown at Devalera. I would usually be able to find a controversial angle to try and further explore someones actions, i.e. opposing viewpoints, but I'm struggling to argue against any of Lemass's policies and views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Lemass was the leading politician behind the "Corporate State" we have today" with TK Whittaker- edit - I strongly disagree with that part of his legacy.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056127781

He did not seek revenge (at Dev's request) for his brother Noel who was killed after the Civil War ended.

There is a good off topic article on the executions etc of that time here

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/the-truth-behind-the-murder-of-sean-hales-498947.html

I did a thread on John Jinks and he was most gracious concerning him -where others were not and he did say "slightly constitutional" in thise debates.

He also was behind Ireland's first EU application in 1961.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Since we mentioned TK Whittaker, Vincent Browne interview with TK provides some insight into Lemass.

http://www.politico.ie/component/hwdvideoshare/viewvideo/298/tonight-with-vincent-browne/ken-whitaker-on-sean-lemass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I suppose the reason we haven't had a thread about him is that there wont be many dissenting opinions that he was a very adept taoiseach and possibly the best we have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I suppose the reason we haven't had a thread about him is that there wont be many dissenting opinions that he was a very adept taoiseach and possibly the best we have seen.

Anyone who has strong views on the operation of the public & civil service which evolved from his premiership should.

It is his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lebowski11

One slight criticism...As minister for Industry and Commerce Lemass done much to create the protectionist policies of the 1950's, the same policies that he is given credit for dismantling during his premiership.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I did a search on Lemass in the forum and I couldn't find a specific thread on the man considered by many including Garrett Fitzgearld as the best holder of the Taoiseach office in our history. A man linked to the 12 Apostles, who lost a brother during the Civil War, who was Minister for Industry and Commerce at the height of the economic war with Britain, who was Minister for Supplies during WW2 before taking over from Dev as Taoiseach in 1959.
    The son-in-law tarnished the family rep in later years. What was Lemass the man like?
    lemass never courted love &affection from people.dev overshadowed him,,some criticised him for rationing ww2. he came too late due to loyalty(that would never happen now,look at haughey,reynolds,aherne,cowan) hence why not much on him.he was quite but steely with serious integrity.when he resigned his speech was simple,'i have resigned'.on the cover on time magazine?john horgan has a book on him.a great chairman taoiseach

lebowski11 wrote: »
    One slight criticism...As minister for Industry and Commerce Lemass done much to create the protectionist policies of the 1950's, the same policies that he is given credit for dismantling during his premiership.
    wasn't protectionism the norm in the world of 1930-1940's?with setting up state groups like irish cement and building aer lingus neccessary then?some anti eec people protested when his funeral cortege,blaming him for starting it in ' 63.

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »
    Anyone who has strong views on the operation of the public & civil service which evolved from his premiership should.

It is his legacy.
    civil servants had politicans by the nuts a bit before that.jj walsh at dept of externa/foreigner affairs is a good example(obviously not devs).thank godness whittaker was heard.mcentee was still about & one of the old boys. hearing bout haughey and documentary on him, he tried to control them,then there's peter berry of arms trial affair.doesn't it beat having people like john mcquaid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 McHu

For those of you interested in reading an alternative biography of Lemass I noticed the following book on amazon - Bryce Evans 'Sean Lemass: Democratic Dictator'. Personally I'm really looking forward to this - its about time we had a critical biography of the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

McHu wrote: »
    For those of you interested in reading an alternative biography of Lemass I noticed the following book on amazon - Bryce Evans 'Sean Lemass: Democratic Dictator'. Personally I'm really looking forward to this - its about time we had a critical biography of the man.

Here is the blurb for the 'alternative biography' ;

41%2BYq5CODRL._SS500_.jpg
    Product Description
    Product Description
    Ways out of Ireland s current economic malaise often include We need another Lemass , Seán Lemass (1899-1971) enjoys unrivalled acclaim as the Architect of Modern Ireland , to Fianna Fáil he is a modern icon. While highlighting the use and abuse of the Lemass legend, The Other Lemass shows phenomena such as cronyism, tribunals and jobs for the boys are not exclusive to recent political leaders. This groundbreaking study asks questions previously skirted around: How did Lemass achieve such power within Fianna Fáil and the Irish State? How much did he owe to the martyr status of his murdered older brother? Did he use his economic powers wisely? How deep did his relationship with bishops and businessmen run? How did Lemass view writers, artists and women? What emerges is the real Seán Lemass: an authoritarian, cunning, workaholic patriot; a shrewd political tactician whose impatience lay not just with the old Ireland, but with democracy itself; whose achievements owe a debt of gratitude to more people than T.K. Whitaker. This is the untold story of a great man and his lasting impact on a nation s imagination.

About the Author
    Bryce Evans is an historian based at the Humanities Institute of Ireland, University College Dublin. A graduate of the University of Warwick and the NUI, he teaches modern Irish and European history in the School of History and Archives, UCD. A regular contributor to the Sunday Independent, his doctoral thesis appraised Lemass s Department of Supplies (1939-45) and has appeared in part across various media.

Advertisement