Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious Dog Attack - Landsdowne Valley Park

Options
  • 02-05-2011 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

I just want to warn all dog walkers in the Crumlin, Drimnagh & Inchicore areas. While my girlfriend and I were walking our dogs on their leads this morning at approximately 11am in Landsdowne Valley Park (across the Blackhorse Luas Stop) three dangerous-breed dogs attacked our 11month old Maltese pup. These dogs were with their owners but were not on a lead or muzzled as is required by law for these breeds. The owners were unable to control their dogs. Unfortunately despite the best efforts of the emergency vets in UCD our dog had to be put to sleep this afternoon.

Two of the dogs were identical, tan / light brown in colour wearing black leather harnesses with sliver studs. These dogs were similar to Staffordshire/Pit Bull type dogs but taller. The third dog was light brown and white in colour and we think was a young Japanese Akita dog or pup. The owners were two men in their twenties wearing tracksuits. The men with the dogs were later seen on the Crumlin Road. If anyone has any information please contact Sundrive Road Garda Station.

If you walk your dogs or children in this area please be careful these animals are dangerous and not controlled by their owners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

thats terrible
    in sorry to hear about you lovely dog

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Oh My God, I have a Maltese too, my Jaw hit the ground reading that.

You must be absolutely devastated? I can't even contemplate how bad I'd feel.

you're poor pup, hope your ok OP.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The dogs didn't happen to be with a group of men no? Going past there the other day on the Luas and seen groups of lads with them type of dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ianmalone

Hi all, thanks for the comments. Just to mention the dogs were with two men in their 20's. They were seen in the Crumlin area later so definitely locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Gosh that is so awful. The poor dog. Sorry for your loss.

What a terrible thing for you and your grlfriend to experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I know it's a slim chance but have you contacted LUAS. They have alot of cameras on their trams. Perhaps they happened to walk alongside the luas stop that gavin Shels mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

I hope you pursue this to the very end. Could have easily been a person who was mauled.

Never thought about the Luas. Good idea. I'll be checking it out tomorow. Next time is could be a kid thats the worrying thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Try going back tomorrow and looking out for them, if they're local more than liking they always go there with there dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

If you do happen to see them personally I wouldn't approach such people but get a photo and ring the Gardai.
    Any decent person whose dog attacked another would have expressed remorse and at the very least paid for vet bills.
    My father-in-laws greyhound (on a lead) managed to bolt when he spotted a small jack russle a few years back.
    Thankfully the FIL managed to save the jack russle but paid for vet bills and in the process learnt a valuable lesson to ALWAYS keep your dog muzzled!

• Advertisement

I definitely will be checking the area for the dogs again. Its a small park used mostly by locals so they're likely to be back.

I just want to thank you all for your messages on this thread and other thread under pets. There was some great advice in them. My girlfriend has visited some of the free vet clinics in the Drimnagh area to warn pet owners and to try and get some more information to help us catch these guys. These dogs were physically well looked after and I reckon the owner might have used these facilities in the past or future. I have heard reports of them leaving the park by the Drimnagh Road exit near the Bank of Ireland and Elenora Pub. If any forum readers have any ideas please let me know, next time it could be a young child attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

That's frightening - I'm sorry about your dog and you are right to highlight that it could easily happen to a human, child or adult.
    Scarey stuff, hopefully those people are identified.
    What are the penalties for having these type of dogs unleashed in public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

gambiaman wrote: »
    That's frightening - I'm sorry about your dog and you are right to highlight that it could easily happen to a human, child or adult.
    Scarey stuff, hopefully those people are identified.
    What are the penalties for having these type of dogs unleashed in public?

If I recall properly its a €35 fine.

Yeah i think it only €35 fine but in a serious case (i think like this one) the dog can be impounded and put to sleep or re-housed to a responsible owner.

Thanks All for the great suggestions on this thread and others. We are checking out the reward idea and working on posters and flyers. We noticed this evening that there is a Luas CCTV right across from where the dogs and their owners entered the park. We are going to contact Luas tomorrow to get access to the footage. We visited a few vets local vets today and in the process of contacting more. Our other puppy is still sad but managed to play with some of his doggy buddies today. We'll keep you posted as we make progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Sorry to hear about your dog OP:(
    I've absolutely NO tolerance for the sort of scumfucks who knowingly buy dangerous dogs and then give them free roam in public spaces:mad:. I remember when I was 18 I got bitten by a sheepdog on a public area near my estate, tracked down the owner who basically didn't want to know and was basically telling me to piss off:mad:I'm kicking myself now that I didn't take the opportunity to sue the everliving fuck out of him, as would've been my right. Hope you catch those those scummers and then take them to the cleaners!:mad:
    If only there was the option of having the owner destroyed rather than the dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sheenaaziz

I was horrified t read about this on Facebook and I send my sincere sympathy to you both. I have shared this info and as I often walk that way I will keep my eyes peeled wide open. I cant say anything that will ease this at all but know the GOOD dog owners of Ireland are searching for these scum.

ianmalone wrote: »
    Thanks All for the great suggestions on this thread and others. We are checking out the reward idea and working on posters and flyers. We noticed this evening that there is a Luas CCTV right across from where the dogs and their owners entered the park. We are going to contact Luas tomorrow to get access to the footage. We visited a few vets local vets today and in the process of contacting more. Our other puppy is still sad but managed to play with some of his doggy buddies today. We'll keep you posted as we make progress.
    GREAT. THEY WILL BE FOUND. There is no doubt.

Thanks Sheenaaziz, the Gardai have got the CCTV footage. We have got no feedback yet but hopefully there will be footage of the dogs and their owners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Hey OP i am so sorry to hear about your puppy :( What a awful traumatic thing to see.
    These people should not have any animals at all ever.
    I have so many times seen people with dogs that are obviously dangerous off lead in residential areas also.
    I never let my dog off lead even though a absolute pet, because you just never know and i would never put anyone else or their pet in jeopardy.

I hope they are found and dealt with properly,dogs removed from them and given to proper homes and them banned for having any sort of dogs.:mad:

I just want to warn all dog walkers in the Crumlin, Drimnagh & Inchicore areas. While my girlfriend and I were walking our dogs on their leads this morning at approximately 11am in Landsdowne Valley Park (across the Blackhorse Luas Stop) three dangerous-breed dogs attacked our 11month old Maltese pup. These dogs were with their owners but were not on a lead or muzzled as is required by law for these breeds. The owners were unable to control their dogs. Unfortunately despite the best efforts of the emergency vets in UCD our dog had to be put to sleep this afternoon.

Two of the dogs were identical, tan / light brown in colour wearing black leather harnesses with sliver studs. These dogs were similar to Staffordshire/Pit Bull type dogs but taller. The third dog was light brown and white in colour and we think was a young Japanese Akita dog or pup. The owners were two men in their twenties wearing tracksuits. The men with the dogs were later seen on the Crumlin Road. If anyone has any information please contact Sundrive Road Garda Station.

If you walk your dogs or children in this area please be careful these animals are dangerous and not controlled by their owners.

Have been thinking of you and if there is any updates from the Garda please let us know.

sheenaaziz wrote: »
    Have been thinking of you and if there is any updates from the Garda please let us know.
    We will definately keep you posted. But I am beginning to fear even if we do find them I don't think the law is able to do anything about it.

We will definately keep you posted. But I am beginning to fear even if we do find them I don't think the law is able to do anything about it.

That just about makes me sick.

I am sorry there is nothing else I can say!!!

Thanks for letting us know what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Hows the dogs brother keeping without him around?

seanybiker wrote: »
    Hows the dogs brother keeping without him around?

Enzo was very lonely at the start. He wasn't himself for about a week but he was certainly began to pick up over the past few days but he is still missing the fun of another dog to play with. My girlfriend spoke to a few dogs trainers and was advised that we should get little friend for him. So last Friday we got another little Maltese Terrier for him to play with. Early days but they look like they will be good mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

i can't imagine the horror of watching your pet be mauled to death like that, absolutely sickening. do all you can to get these bastards done, they do it on purpose, walkin around thinkin they're "hard men". theres loads of pitbulls in my area too without muzzles, even leads sometimes. they train them to pull small weights behind them for strength. i carry a baseball bat with me now when i walk our spaniel mix, we adopted her from dogs trust and i will be damned if i let scum like this hurt her or worse. the poor little thing, its horrific. did they just stand there watching? what was their reaction? :mad:

cocokay wrote: »
    i can't imagine the horror of watching your pet be mauled to death like that, absolutely sickening. do all you can to get these bastards done, they do it on purpose, walkin around thinkin they're "hard men". theres loads of pitbulls in my area too without muzzles, even leads sometimes. they train them to pull small weights behind them for strength. i carry a baseball bat with me now when i walk our spaniel mix, we adopted her from dogs trust and i will be damned if i let scum like this hurt her or worse. the poor little thing, its horrific. did they just stand there watching? what was their reaction? :mad:

One of them tried to open the dogs jaws but useless the dog just eventually let go. I asked for their names but refused to give them and walked away. I wasn't hanging around as I was hoping we could save the puppy by bringing it to the vet plus the dogs could have attacked me also. These dogs will attack again; please God don't let it be a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

One of them tried to open the dogs jaws but useless the dog just eventually let go. I asked for their names but refused to give them and walked away. I wasn't hanging around as I was hoping we could save the puppy by bringing it to the vet plus the dogs could have attacked me also. These dogs will attack again; please God don't let it be a child.

My dog was attacked near here by a staffie too, she's a bigger dog and my husband & the dog's owner managed to get the dog off before TOO much damage was done. At the time he was in a bit of a shock, so he didn't think of calling the Gardai, I can only imagine the state ye were in when it happend. I still see him walking the dog along the canal without a muzzle AND off the leash. She goes ape$hit every time she sees another female dog (including my own), and her owner has to physically lift her up and restrain her so she won't break away and attack other dogs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    My dog was attacked near here by a staffie too, she's a bigger dog and my husband & the dog's owner managed to get the dog off before TOO much damage was done. At the time he was in a bit of a shock, so he didn't think of calling the Gardai, I can only imagine the state ye were in when it happend. I still see him walking the dog along the canal without a muzzle AND off the leash. She goes ape$hit every time she sees another female dog (including my own), and her owner has to physically lift her up and restrain her so she won't break away and attack other dogs :rolleyes:
    Thats shocking. I have spoke to so many people on the canal who have told me that their has been attacked by another dog with no muzzles and leads. This is a big problem in Dublin.

Advertisement