Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious Dog Attack - Landsdowne Valley Park

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I'm not being facetious here but if a dog has its jaws locked onto something it will release immediately if you insert something (your finger, a stick, whatever) into its anus. Not pleasant, but if it's your pet or child involved it's a minor inconvenience.

Link so you know I'm not trolling:

http://ask.metafilter.com/101895/Dog-attack

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

latenia wrote: »
    I'm not being facetious here but if a dog has its jaws locked onto something it will release immediately if you insert something (your finger, a stick, whatever) into its anus. Not pleasant, but if it's your pet or child involved it's a minor inconvenience.

Link so you know I'm not trolling:

http://ask.metafilter.com/101895/Dog-attack
    Insert with force. A pen is good - it's straight, and pointy. Shouldn't do much damage either.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Esel wrote: »
    Insert with force. A pen is good - it's straight, and pointy. Shouldn't do much damage either.

Just strangle it to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just strangle it to death.
    Contrary to popular belief, attempting to kill any animal to save another is usually the least effective method. Strangling, for example, can take several minutes to result in death, by which stage the other animal has already been mortally wounded. The attacking dog possibly won't even be aware of what you're doing until it falls unconcious.
    So unless you're willing to carry around a 12-inch hunting knife and risk being arrested, then simple methods are the best.

By far the simplest method is to stop any attack before it begins. Know your dogs body language and other dogs body language. If another dog makes you nervous in any way, put yourself between your dog and the other dog and shout at the other dog (in a deep but calm voice) to go away. If the other dog is being determined, make yourself as threatening as possible to take focus off your dog. Remember that even fighting dogs are rarely trained to attack humans. The risk to you is minimal if you stay calm. Do not pick up your own dog under any circumstance. This will cause panic and leaves you and your dog vulnerable to attack.

If you're really worried that you can't stop it, then grab the other dog by the collar and let your own dog go. Unless the other dog is a St. Bernard or a Great Dane, then you should be able to immobilise it by sitting full weight on its shoulders until someone arrives to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ianmalone

Thanks for all the advise but unfortunately in the heat of the moment and three dogs circling around it was hard to stay calm. I'll definately be keeping in mind this advise should i find myself in that position again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

Any update OP?

I presume the fellas have never been caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mynameissarah

This is awful.

Tbh I'd be less concerned about it maybe being a child or adult next time, that this happened to a poor innocent pup is actually worse imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

latenia wrote: »
    I'm not being facetious here but if a dog has its jaws locked onto something it will release immediately if you insert something (your finger, a stick, whatever) into its anus.

It certainly will let go, it will let go, turn around too see what's up it's hole and bite whoever is shoving something up that hole faster than a rattle snake. You will not have time to pull your arm away. Their reflexes are way quicker than ours. I have heard of people choking dogs off other dogs, but I would be nervous doing this, even with my own dog. I would make sure he knew it was me before doing it. The most effective way I have seen a dog fight broken up was at a dog show. They looped leads around their hind quarters (the back loins) (dogs were completely locked on to each other) and dragged them apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ianmalone

Any update OP?

I presume the fellas have never been caught?

Unfortunately we seem to be no closer to catching these peoples. But I haven't given up on it. These dogs need regular walking so i'll see about at some point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement