Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious Dog Attack at Landsdowne Valley Park

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Knew opening the thread was going to be upsetting...

Anoter blow for restricted breeds even though out of the 10 dogs classed as dangerous, I see no harm at all from them if brought up well and to be honest would be more wary of a collie or yapping jack russel.

My current dog, a Rhodesian ridgeback is ranked number 7 or something on the list and although is pretty strong minded and tries to get his own way he still is very obedient and very friendly.

Hope you dont mind me correcting you on those 2 things ive highlighted.
    Firstly, no dog on that list is classed as dangerous so its better if you refrain from using those kinds of words when referring to a restricted breed.

Secondly, there is no ranking on the list, so saying your dog is number 7 is incorrect. They are just listed as an amount of dogs, not ranked in anyway shape or form.

To the OP, im very sorry about your little dog, please god you get justice for him and you find these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

ianmalone wrote: »
    Just to update everyone. the gardai have managed to get a hold of the Luas CCTV. We just have to hope that it captured an image of the dogs and their owners. Whispered you were looking for some photos. Herohounds who do some dog minding for us have some great pictures of our pups, Enzo and Dino. Dino was the one that was attacked. Check out the facebook link below. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/herohoundsdublin

great pics. cool little guys.

did you think about media...Liveline for eg. I know Joe can be a bit hyper but it may have the desired effect to flush out these morons.

If it was my dog I would turn the whole country upsdie down to find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ianmalone

We'll try everything PPink. First we will help the gardai locate these guys by talking to local vets, walking to local parks and speaking to walkers with their dogs. Flyers and posters also. I believe this will flush them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I have to say I'm delighted that the police are taking you seriously. You hear so many horror stories regarding animals and there is usually very little done by the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Lustrum

My folks are still living in Drimnagh and regularly bring the dog walking in the valley park, so I send the link of the thread on to them. My Dad told me then that he's meet the 2 lads and dogs a couple of times down there, but luckily enough he's never had any trouble (they have a big enough collie/russian greyhound cross) but just to be aware they're obviously locals and this may not be a once off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

We'll try everything PPink. First we will help the gardai locate these guys by talking to local vets, walking to local parks and speaking to walkers with their dogs. Flyers and posters also. I believe this will flush them out.

Have put your story up on Petsireland too and shared on FB. Have spoken to park rangers and dog walkers in Brickfield. There is a pet shop and dog groomers on Keeper Road Drimnagh, might be a good idea to get posters up there and on gates of Brickfield Park.
    Might be worth getting on to local papers to get the word out.(Southside People etc) Glad to hear your other pup is coming round a bit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DaveM-sport

andreac wrote: »
    Hope you dont mind me correcting you on those 2 things ive highlighted.
    Firstly, no dog on that list is classed as dangerous so its better if you refrain from using those kinds of words when referring to a restricted breed.

Secondly, there is no ranking on the list, so saying your dog is number 7 is incorrect. They are just listed as an amount of dogs, not ranked in anyway shape or form.

To the OP, im very sorry about your little dog, please god you get justice for him and you find these people.

Oh, I was told by somebody that made themselves out to know all about which breeds are "Restricted or Dangerous" as they say :rolleyes:
    Always should check things out for yourself I suppose :o

I have never really looked into the whole restricted breeds thing anyway other than knowing a few breeds are on it and dogs must be muzzled in public, my own dog has muzzle but never has any need to put it on plus the fecker seems to be able to get them off no matter how well secured they are.
    He has met the dog warden too and in her opinion, he was one of the most gentle dogs shes ever met :)

Personally I couldn't care less what dog is on the list or not as all dogs can can any sort of temperament due poor owners or to it's nature in some cases unfortunately but 99% of that is still due to raising the dog anyway.

Also, for those of you saying that your going to go out with a stick to every dog that looks at you sideways. Almost guaranteed, your going go be considerably increasing your chances of getting attacked if you start getting nervous of any dig you see and go waving a stick at any dog no matter what size he is or how dominant or submissive the dog looks.

Thats all getting away with the point though that is in hand but just my own opinion.

Looked like two lovely little dogs, hope something is done about it and the owners are prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

In the 40 years I have been out walking my dogs I have never been asked to produce my dog licence nor have I ever a seen a dog warden in any park anywhere in Ireland.

There are more and more of these incidents but yet the local authority animal welfare department sit behind the desks in the county council offices pen pushing.

Get out from behind the desks and start making your presence known. We don't want ANYMORE polices WE WANT ENFORCEMENT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

This incident angers me on so many levels.

It's just so sad and a terrible reflection of day-to-day life in Ireland. We are up to our eyeballs in legisalation and there is absolutely no enforcement when it matters. They just don't give a damn about the ordinary person. The irresponsible on the top and bottom are having a ball. And we pay everytime!

I used to know this little pup and it's very depressing to see something like this happening. He was a little beauty and obviously had a very strong bond with the other pup (which was his brother) and therefore it adds to the sense of frustration. Even though he wasn't my dog I still feel very angry.

Anyway, let's focus on getting some kind of resolution. Hopefully someone here can help and talk to the gardai or point the OP in the right direction in relation to the owners of these dogs. I used to foster dogs and I saw the same people all the time while walking so keep an eye open even while driving in the locality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

OP - I second the suggestion of local media - are there local newspapers to carry the story?

Also, what about your local politicians, they tend to have facebook pages with 100s of friends/likes so if they could post about it the story would be seen by many locals.

Also, ask the animal charities to post about this on their facebook page (I see the DSPCA have already).

Get as many friends and family as you can to drive/walk around the area to try and spot these thugs.

Theres as much chance that these people or someone who knows them have seen this thread or Facebook too and know you are trying to locate them so they may be laying low and only show up when interest wanes.

• Advertisement

Thanks Lustrum for that. Could you ask your Dad if he noticed what time of the day the dogs would be walked or any certain day, just want to see if there any patterns to their movements. Would he know what gate they used to get in and out of the park and what direction they would walk when leaving the park? Any info would be a big help. That’s great stuff thanks.
    Thanks Tesslab for the paper tip. Are there any other local papers worth contacting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Markmcl

So sorry for your loss, he was a lovely little fella. I hope those two idiots are caught and soon as they clearly have no idea how to look after an animal. While its absolutely horrendous what happened to your little darling, clearly if these dogs are allowed to run riot in a public area like this, then small children could very well be at risk also. The Gardai need to prioritise this case and make an example of those two clowns ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OMG the pic of him squinting/smiling!!!!! Poor little thing - RIP Dino :( It's bad enough to lose a pet but I can't imagine how horrible it must have been for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Pombo

So sorry to hear about this OP. I hope you and your girlfriend are doing better. Dogs are very resilient and as long as you do not let this change your attitude towards other dogs he should pull through it fine. Being overprotective of him will only make him paranoid, antisocial and may even make him violent towards other dogs.

My last dog was poisoned by a neighbour so I understand your pain. I'll put this up on my FB too just in case somebody can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Are there any other local papers worth contacting?

The Local Echo would be worth contacting.
    http://www.echo.ie/index.html
    Seems their new website is still not live mad.gif but if you pick up a copy of the paper locally you will get contact details.
    I would also get onto the Evening Herald and daily Star. they have a good readership with local men in the pubs,bookies and work wink.gif
    http://www.herald.ie/
    http://www.thestar.ie/

Hope the LUAS footage proves fruitful!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Sorry to hear about your terrible ordeal and the loss of your beloved Dog.

Your awareness campaign will hopefully have alearted other people to this danger and possibly save another Dog or Persons life.

Thank you for your post Ian, I hope you and your Girlfriend recover soon from this terrible tragedy.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Thanks for the newspaper tips Sundew- will be checking them out. Thanks to All for the continued support & ideas. We have been pounding the local pavements and taking to dog owners in the area to raise awareness and will continue til we find them. Our other dog is exhausted after a day of playing and being spoiled rotten by the great team at dogtraining ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

spoiled rotten by the great team at dogtraining ireland.

Yes they're very good at that aren't they!!:pac: I think I saw Enzo earlier in with the small dog gand behind the gate at reception when I was collecting my guy.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭pgd-pgd

So sorry to hear that , it makes me sick . Im a dog trainer and have posted your link to my facebook page . Hope you catch the dogs !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I've been keeping my eyes open for dogs off the lead on my way to work as i go through Fairview Park. I would say that about 50% of the dogs are off the lead.

The worst case I saw was a gorgeous english bull terrier off the lead and not muzzled. The lady owner also had no control of him since he was approaching other people with their dogs and was taking no heed to her calls. Thankfully, he seemed like a friendly guy

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    Yes they're very good at that aren't they!!:pac: I think I saw Enzo earlier in with the small dog gand behind the gate at reception when I was collecting my guy.:)
    Yeah that was Enzo. He was with the older dogs earlier in the day but just sat in the corner. The Day Care people put him with the younger dogs so he might cheer up a bit. He doesn't look to happy behind bars either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Hi IanMalone

I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss and shocked at what occurred. I am local to the area and used to walk my dog often in that park, though I usually use one of the other parks these days as I walk the hound very early in the morning and feel that the one at Lansdowne isn't the best of areas at that hour purely because it's a long, narrow park with only one entrance down opposite the Luas stop and beside the entrance to the housing estate. There is no exit up at the other end as the park was bisected years ago with a big fence dividing it up between the park and a pitch & putt course which does have an exit up near the Halfway House/Drimnagh Road. I saw your posts where you had thought the owners of the attacking dogs may have used an alternative exit but there isn't one unless they either jumped that big fence (at least 6 feet high galvanised posts - security type fencing) or else swam or otherwise crossed the Camac River and used the exit on the Naas Road which is also highly unlikely as the river is deep and fast moving there. The only other alternative would be if they climbed or had access to any of the houses backing on to the park, again unlikely though not impossible.

I hope you find these people and get justice, and agree with others in that it's entirely the fault of irresponsible owners and their choice of dog as fashion accessory.

Thinking of your loss and hoping that you all, including the surviving pup, find closure soon.

Lpfsox.

Thanks Lpfsox for the info. It was the Gardai that spotted the dogs at the rear of the park after our 999 call. Unfortunately they never approached them as they thought the dogs in question would be still in the park. Hard to believe that the Gardai didn't put two and two together and realise that these were the dogs that attacked us as they fitted our description and were wearing no muzzles. They were heading to investigate an attacked by three dogs and walked past these ones which by law should be on muzzles. A serious dereliction of duty on their part.

Sorry to hear what happened , but what happened after the attack took place. They they approach you or say anything to you ?

Sorry to hear what happened , but what happened after the attack took place. They they approach you or say anything to you ?

They just walked away. I asked for their names but just turned their backs to me. I rushed the puppy to the emergency vet hoping we could save it so I didn't have time to confront these guys plus they have three dangerous dogs with them so didn't want to mess around with them.

That makes me so angry . Hopefully the will be caught for this.

Just to let you all know that the Gardai have managed to get CCTV footage of the owners of the dogs that attacked us on the May Bank Holiday weekend. Unfortunately they are apparently not know to the Gardai. We have requested them to share this photo to other Garda Stations in the local area. Hopefully someone will know them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just to let you all know that the Gardai have managed to get CCTV footage of the owners of the dogs that attacked us on the May Bank Holiday weekend. Unfortunately they are apparently not know to the Gardai. We have requested them to share this photo to other Garda Stations in the local area. Hopefully someone will know them

Can you get some images printed up from the footage and post them in the appropriate places?
    With the weather warming up lots more people will be out and about in parks etc and it would be terrible if such an attack happened again or god forbid a small child was involved!
    Good to hear that the pressure on the gardai has actually got some results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

I'm not sure you would legally be allowed do that.

It's good to know that the gardai are taking it so seriously though.
    They'll be caught, don't worry. They can't hide at home with their dogs forever.

• Advertisement

It was done on another forum for a guy who had his bike stolen . He put the CCTV images up here. Also on the car forum CCTV footage was put up of another guy who broke into a car. If you can get the images , talk to the mods and see if its possible.

Advertisement