Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone on the 3 network in Limerick? whats the 3g data like?

Options
  • 02-05-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

more specifically; UL, Castletroy and Annacotty area?
    is it patchy at times?

im on meteor and while my 3g and hsdpa is very good with them, sometimes hitting 5500kbps :o im limited to 250mb a month and it would be handy to get the 15gb offered by 3, i just dont want a massive drop in speed, as with 15gb it'd actually be handy enough to tether without worrying about it.

Thanks for any comments.

EDIT: going by their coverage map, outcome looks bleak. but it seems patchy country-wide? is that up-to-date?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i can at least speak for UL and say i've never had any problems with 3G there, altho usually i just connect to the UL wireless access point :P :o, but i have skype active in the background on my phone all the time, and that has never disconnected on me. i have a spare 3 sim i originally got with my phone but never used if you wanted to PM me to pick it up and try it out? but i think they're only €5 in the 3 shop on cruises street anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

I've been getting good speeds from them in and around town/south circular road area on an iPhone.. The only problem I've had is that it will sometimes change to edge coverage and won't go back to 3g until you go in and out of airplane mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I've been getting good speeds from them in and around town/south circular road area on an iPhone.. The only problem I've had is that it will sometimes change to edge coverage and won't go back to 3g until you go in and out of airplane mode.
    thanks. that sounds like a bit of a pain re the edge thing... can anyone do a quick speedtest or similar to show kinda what speeds your getting if you get a chance when around UL or castletroy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Coverage map shows near full 3G for the Limerick city, Castletroy area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Walkman wrote: »
    Coverage map shows near full 3G for the Limerick city, Castletroy area.
    maybe im being confused. whats the difference between "indoors" and "out -and -about"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

speed test over 3G taken outside the Library in UL, downloading a 1.0 MB file over 3G from www.dslreports.com/mspeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    maybe im being confused. whats the difference between "indoors" and "out -and -about"?

Indoors is the lightblue where you will have full 3G signal indoors, outdoors is the darkblue where you'll get 3G signal outdoor but it's not strong enough to penetrate a buildings walls so you'll get 2G signal indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

The o2 network 3G coverage is very patchy in Annacotty via iPhone. The 3 network was better, as I remember.

Advertisement