Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Roaming on Meteor Billpay

Options
  • 02-05-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

hey all,

I am heading over to the UK for a few days in a few weeks. I have Galaxy S on Meteor Billpay.

The data seems so expensive at €10 for 1Mb. That is crazy. I want to be able to keep on my emails/facebook/etc but that price is mad.

What do other people do when going abroad on Meteor? They dont seem to have an add on for this!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Nope, they have no add-on. It is pretty ludicrous pricing.
    Is your phone unlocked? You could pick up a Vodafone prepay SIM which will give you 50MB of usage for €2.99 per day while roaming in the EU, you could just use that for the few days you are over there?

Other than that, stick to free WiFi!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Unfortunately n ot unlocked so thats an issue. I have a SE C510 which i may just pick up a sim for and use that for the few days and get €5 credit and use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

I've an unlocked n8 and I'm heading to Spain for 2 weeks soon. It seems to make more sense to get a prepaid sim over there than getting one here and roaming. Is it as simple as that or is there a snag. And does anyone know where's/who's best to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

dr ro wrote: »
    It seems to make more sense to get a prepaid sim over there than getting one here and roaming. Is it as simple as that or is there a snag. And does anyone know where's/who's best to get one.
    Well, the SIM will have a Spanish number so anyone calling you from Ireland will be hit with the cost of calling internationally. If you're calling back to Ireland, then you'll also be paying the price of an international call - same with texts.
    Obviously if you're calling other people with Spanish numbers it'll be cheap enough and you'll be paying a good bit less in data charges.
    Whereas roaming, the maximum you pay back to Ireland is 47c on any network and the maximum you pay to receive a call is 18c. Anyone calling you while you're abroad just pays the usual cost of calling your number. Data charges are a killer though.

Networks wise, movistar (Telefónica aka. O2 here) is the incumbent operator over there so is fairly decent coverage wise. Vodafone's coverage is also quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

thanks for that. I'd switch between my sim and Spanish one for using calls to home or data over there. Wouldn't be giving Spanish number to anyone so it wouldn't be a concern for anyone calling me. I primarily want to use it with ovi maps. I know it works without data connection but i think it works better with it. I'd also miss boards!

• Advertisement
Advertisement