Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco (?) rush

Options
  • 02-05-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

work has started opposite the church. i read the site notice and it says its for a retail building with 181 car parking spaces with 2 dwellings and a road upgrade with traffic lights at thsoe juntions.

any one know any more about this?

i dont think it would necessarily be a bad thing. i have seen smaller tesco stores pop up and they seem to cause little impact to the surrounding area. ( visually i mean as i knwon financially they can make life tough sor small businesses)

the volume of traffic will obviously increase. but its good to see they will upgrade the road too.

anybody with any other thoughts on it? will it be a blessing or curse?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

This is Tesco Rush.

I am not so sure it will be a good thing for Rush irrespective of what Tesco say they purchase from local growers.

Its a good site and I wonder what contribution they will have to make to F.C.C and how they will be dealt with for their rates. Would someone like Tesco get a deal with all the shops they have? Will we ever know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I think its great for Rush:D(Tesco shareholder here) Downside is that there so successful in Ireland that Rush and other Irish towns now start to resemble West Britain with all these English highstreet names like Tesco, Boots, Debenhams popping upin the last 10 years.

Ah we are not going to start disagreeing again;)

We are pretty much West British as it is with the huge influence of the stores already open, not to mention the football and other british sports a lot of us watch.

However I try not to be to much like the rest of the sheep and not get to influenced by them. It does not always work.

LeoB wrote: »
    Ah we are not going to start disagreeing again;)

We are pretty much West British as it is with the huge influence of the stores already open, not to mention the football and other british sports a lot of us watch.

However I try not to be to much like the rest of the sheep and not get to influenced by them. It does not always work.

Is there a noise restriction on that site? Since Tesco lorries deliver during the night, residents could easily be woke up at night by 40 foots dropping a delivery.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Is there a noise restriction on that site? Since Tesco lorries deliver during the night, residents could easily be woke up at night by 40 foots dropping a delivery.

Thats interesting point. The houses in Old Rd Court and Brookford Park are very close to the site and assuming the public will enter off the Whitestown Rd or will the car park be off the Park Rd and goods come in from Whitestown Rd? There are quite a few very young families in this area. Dont know if there is a residence assoc YET!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

well there is definately no res assoc in brookfrod park.

my main concern is not noise as i dont think there would be massive traffic. as in the site is on a road anyway so i dont think a couple more trucks will make a massive difference.

my current worries however are......
    1. vibration from construction. i arrived home there to my mirror vibrating on my wall. so i will need to do something about that.

2. light pollution : will the shop have lights on 24/7 these i feel will effect the houses ore than the trucks.

3. final finish on the centre. as i what will it look like from the back of the houses will the house be lookinging on to a service yard? or will they plant trees or build fencing which will hide it ? ( as i said before tesco seem to have done agood job in other spots where a new store has been built, but i have not ever looked at it form the point of view of " would i like to live beside it?"

I am not a NIMBY but i think before work started a leaflet could have been posted through the door and that we should have been informed that work was starting.

All i hope for is that no radiation comes from the shop!!! :D

Martron wrote: »
    well there is definately no res assoc in brookfrod park.

my main concern is not noise as i dont think there would be massive traffic. as in the site is on a road anyway so i dont think a couple more trucks will make a massive difference. my current worries however are......

1. vibration from construction. i arrived home there to my mirror vibrating on my wall. so i will need to do something about that.

2. light pollution : will the shop have lights on 24/7 these i feel will effect the houses ore than the trucks.

3. final finish on the centre. as i what will it look like from the back of the houses will the house be lookinging on to a service yard? or will they plant trees or build fencing which will hide it ? ( as i said before tesco seem to have done agood job in other spots where a new store has been built, but i have not ever looked at it form the point of view of " would i like to live beside it?"

I am not a NIMBY but i think before work started a leaflet could have been posted through the door and that we should have been informed that work was starting.

All i hope for is that no radiation comes from the shop!!! :D

I don't think it be open 24 hour in Rush but if they do take deliveries in at night you will have alot of noise at 12-5 in the morning. They may have a loading bay on the plans which should shorten the delivery time but you will still have the noise from the trunk reversing. Then the bread men deliveries and the dairy truck also deliver into supermarkets early in the morn.

If you notice when your in Tesco late at night in the 24 hour stores they use very nosey metal cages to carry stock so they may have to load empties and crates back on the truck to clear the yard at night. Then the dairy has take back their dairy trollies and the bread men have get their bread trolley out of the back yard. Back yards dont make supermarkets money so much more consideration is given to the supermarket shopfloor layout and service yards are generally over crowded so their is a constant need to send back equipment as much as possible. I don't think Tesco does noise landscaping, they just build a big wall to stop people knicking the stock.

Maybe the council with its foresight of dealing with these issues imposed a delivery time restriction on Tesco as a condition of planning? I know noise levels from deliveries got so bad in certain parts of dublin near Tesco stores that even after paying for new windows for residents beside the stores the councils had to still keep delivery restrictions in place. Hopefully your a deep sleeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

If it's a small enough store, deliveries may not be during the night, but begin at 5.30am. There's a similar situation in Ridgewood in Swords, where there's a Tesco Extra with apartments on top and all around. There's signs all over the delivery areas about keeping quiet, and deliveries are not allowed before 5am (I think). Trucks are also not allowed to wait around in the yard before 5am with their engines idling.

@corsendonk.

very true about the loading yard. i have not seen the plans but i hope its enclosed and away from the majority of the houses.

even if there is a big wall around the yard it will make a big difference to the noise.

i wont be able to see the final tesco from my house but i am sure the people who can would not like a large concrete wall with barbwire on the top of it either.

it will be interesting to see how this pans out.

tesco are quite good with putting up hoarding with artistic representations of the final struture so i would imagine when the buildings are demolished and the hoarding goes up i am sure it wont be long until we see a representation of it.

dust will also be a big issue during this project. and there is enviromental limits they have to adhere to. so will see how the surrounding estates will react to it. ( mind you it will only be an issue if the contractor takes there eyes off the ball)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

dan_d wrote: »
    If it's a small enough store, deliveries may not be during the night, but begin at 5.30am. There's a similar situation in Ridgewood in Swords, where there's a Tesco Extra with apartments on top and all around. There's signs all over the delivery areas about keeping quiet, and deliveries are not allowed before 5am (I think). Trucks are also not allowed to wait around in the yard before 5am with their engines idling.
    Deliveries will permitted as follows:

Mon - Sat: 8am - 10pm.
    Sun: 10am - 10pm

Christmas & Easter
    Mon - Sat: 7am - 11pm
    Sun: 9am - 9pm

• Advertisement

^^^^ thats acceptable i would imagine.

where did you see this information?

where did you see this information?
    In the planning permission grant order document.

very good. is this the document you can go into fingal offices to view?

You'll get all the documents here, where you can see the layout of the site amongst everything else.

very good. is this the document you can go into fingal offices to view?

I have just had a look at the map and a row of houses in Brookford park will be very close to the yard. If I am reading the map correctly HGVs will enter behind 29 to 35.

The trollies they use are lighter than the ones we use in An Post and are noiser when pushed on concrete but with the conditions this should not be a major problem. But I would watch them like a hawk.

The map used, if its the same as was used in planning is a little misleading as it does not show Brookford Park and Brookford is just a building site and I wonder if this could have been used to Tesco's advantage? Me being cynical!!

Good work and info N.C.Ds very own Investigation branch Bluetonic and Corsendonk.

dan_d wrote: »

Tesco Express in Ridgewood, the one in Balbriggan is an Extra. Express are just cornershops, Supermarket with 115 spaces that someone previouly mentioned would certainly have more deliveries than Ridgewood. Actually they would take in more stock in 2 days what Ridgewood would take in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Woops.My mistake, sorry! However the point about the delivery set-up in Ridgewood still stands.

Interesting to see that the map of the site in question (the photo) is old - there were no houses behind the site at that stage.....

got leaflet in the door today informing us of works and a layout of the site.

no too bad. looks like the service yard is backing on to the estate but the brder will be landscaped . so hopefully will be alright visual and eventually acoustically.

So the are going to access that service yard from Park Rd, where the recently put up that green fense?

got leaflet in the door today informing us of works and a layout of the site.

no too bad. looks like the service yard is backing on to the estate but the brder will be landscaped . so hopefully will be alright visual and eventually acoustically.

Could a 40ft drive in and swing about in the service yard? Or would they have to back in from the road?

• Advertisement

judging by the picture the entrance into the whole complex is thrgh a road which will be located where the existing gate into that old yard is now.

i tried scanning the picture but my scanner has not got enough resolution to pick it up.

anyway its hard to tell fro the scale of it but to give you a rough idea the service yard is about 50% the size of the finished building so i would imagine there is plenty of room to manuever a truck in and out without having to reverse in.

( besides from my experience of construction and purpose built building is that they will try and design it that un safe practices like reversing a truck in off a road is negated by safe design and proper traffic management. )

judging from the picture again there is not vivible scale on it but from what i can make out from the car park size etc etc its not bigger than the aldi in balbriggan. ( or if anyone know the teso in kinnegad i would imagine its a very similar size to that)

The complete drawings, dimensions etc.., are all in the planning link I posted. No need for guess work!

I did this mock up for you to scale to compare it to Lidl in Balbriggan, show Lidl, the site in Rush, and the plans overlaid the site all to the same approx scale (the site plans are a tiny bit larger)

Looks like plenty of parking space and a well laid out site.

2dqreif.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackiexx

Does anybody know when they will be starting to interview for jobs,Its just down the road from us and my boyfriend is interested in applying?

jackiexx wrote: »
    Does anybody know when they will be starting to interview for jobs,Its just down the road from us and my boyfriend is interested in applying?

They are due to open in Mid November this year so I would say phone their H.R Dept and they should be able to give you details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

jackiexx wrote: »

Ring Tesco to try and learn about the shop opening down the road and you're wired through to some fella in India.. I did it.

I asked for the number for the HR, he wouldn't give me it and asked if he could help me. I asked when they would begin recruiting for the shop, he said 6 weeks before opening. So I assume Novemberish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

theyll set up a recruitment office somewhere thats what they did in balbriggan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I'm not very familiar with Rush and the type and quantity of shops there currently. If this is not a Tesco express then I would expect several current shops to close down over the next 2 to 5 years as a direct result of this store.

Whilst initially a good thing for consumers, it will have a negative impact on other traders in the town which will eventually lead to empty units etc.

Obviously this is all just my opinion but based on what I've seen in other towns when a tesco has opened up, albeit a large tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

When does it open. They hiring .

• Advertisement

I'm not very familiar with Rush and the type and quantity of shops there currently. If this is not a Tesco express then I would expect several current shops to close down over the next 2 to 5 years as a direct result of this store.

Whilst initially a good thing for consumers, it will have a negative impact on other traders in the town which will eventually lead to empty units etc.

Obviously this is all just my opinion but based on what I've seen in other towns when a tesco has opened up, albeit a large tesco

I Think your bang on there. Centra IS going late October from what I hear and I have heard another large store will not be re newing the lease. This could lead to a right mess when it opens unless they provide proper jobs for locals and dont exploit cheap labour.

Two things come to mind
    1) People have a choice whether they shop there or not.
    2) Will people be prepared to picket for jobs to stay local?

I see they have signs up in fields around Rush saying this crop is being grown for Tesco and they are supporting local growers, as someone said to me "at what fckn price"

Advertisement