Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco (?) rush

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gasher

yeah that eurospar a rip off,rush too small for a giant like tesco,small business's are ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

The scummers of the town have already staked their claim to the front of the shop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Well folks whats the verdict?

I went in to it this evening to see what it was like and heard a few mixed reviews. The place was jammed like Christmas eve with a famine, a lot just in for look but I also saw a few trollys full of stuff. The tills were hopping. Not sure about the prices but I spoke to a few people who felt Eurospar matched them on quite a few products. Maybe this is what Eurospar needed? maybe Tesco are basing their prices on Eurospar and set their prices accordingly? People will go just because its Tesco and if they pick up a few bargains all the better and they will go back.

Heard tonight a few staff handed in their notice already?? Hours not quite what they supposed to be.

The scummers of the town have already staked their claim to the front of the shop :)

Thats a bit strong. What or who do you class as a scummer? Were they doing any harm to anyone? Just youmg lads hanging around from what I saw. Mind you It looks a good spot for skateboarding

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Was up there earlier and it was extremely busy. Whether we like it or not, I think it's curtains for Eurospar. It's too little too late from them to try and do some price matching and anyway they just won't have the financial clout to compete with Tesco f Tesco want them gone.

To be honest i will have no sympathy for Eurospar. They've ripped people off for the last few years and the constant shortage of staff on the tips has been a complete joke. As I said too little to late from them. I used to love going in to the old Prices supermarket but I've avoided Eurospar asa much as I can the last couple of years.

I already usually do the bulk of my shopping in Tesco (Clarehall or Balbriggan) so will definitely be shopping in Tesco more often than not.

• Advertisement

eye eurospar dead now

Jasus people quit allready,i never got past interview stage such a shame:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 badtinegirl

How big is the shop? Was going to head up but someone told me
    it was very small as tescos go? Worth a trip from Swords?

Fed up with JCs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

How big is the shop? Was going to head up but someone told me
    it was very small as tescos go? Worth a trip from Swords?

Fed up wit JCs

Worth a trip alright. Dont know much about shop sizes but seems big enough to me

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NDB

I think they tried to fit too much into the space they had. They could have ditched the clothing and electrical bits and had a greater selection on the food. I've been a few times when I haven't needed much, but to do a 'full shop' I'd still go to Balbriggan or better still Clare Hall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

NDB wrote: »
    I think they tried to fit too much into the space they had. They could have ditched the clothing and electrical bits and had a greater selection on the food. I've been a few times when I haven't needed much, but to do a 'full shop' I'd still go to Balbriggan or better still Clare Hall.

Thats like comparing a 6 bed house to a 15 bed house, Clarehall and Balbriggan are Tesco Extra so they will have a wider range and choice across the board because they have twice the floor space. By the way clothes and electrical goods have higher profit margins than foods hence the reason Tesco now offers them in their stores. The 3rd biggest retailer in the World might know a thing or two about selling goods. You would be amazed at how cheaply in Asia you can get clothes made and shipped over to Europe. Dunnes for years subsidised there grocery dept with drapery sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NDB

I'm comparing Tesco with Tesco though, not house sizes. In my opinion it doesn't have enough selection of food to stop me from going to one of the bigger ones. Unless I'm only looking for a couple of things that I know they have.

I'm sure the other stuff is more profitable, but for the market they have, I would have thought that they would be better served with a greater range of food.

Funnily enough, I'm headed out shopping now, and I choose to go to Balbriggan even though it's further away. Not very profitable for Tesco in Rush, but just the same for Tesco overall...

NDB wrote: »
    I'm comparing Tesco with Tesco though, not house sizes. In my opinion it doesn't have enough selection of food to stop me from going to one of the bigger ones. Unless I'm only looking for a couple of things that I know they have.

Thats the idea, Extra would have 6 choices of Ketchup, a store of Rush size 4 choices and an Express like Swords 1. Its floor space so thats why I used the house analogue. Others posters in this thread have compared Eurospar to Tesco Rush but you could fit 4 Eurospars into the Tesco store in Rush so unfair to compare on range.
    I'm sure the other stuff is more profitable, but for the market they have, I would have thought that they would be better served with a greater range of food.

Range in Rush is prob at its peak since its a new store, usually when they work out what doesn't sell the range reduces to what sells to reduce costs. I have checked the new store out a few times and apart from peak shop times its pretty dead and overstaffed.
    Funnily enough, I'm headed out shopping now, and I choose to go to Balbriggan even though it's further away. Not very profitable for Tesco in Rush, but just the same for Tesco overall...

Enjoy but with increasing fuel prices and the jettisoning of the second car by many families after the budget the local supermarket around the corner that might have limited range is becoming more attractive to shop in than driving to one of the large Tesco Extra two towns over even if it has a petrol station.

Well we done a little comparision and found that Euro spar is competing very well with Tesco. Most people were under the impression things would be very cheap in Tesco but from what I hear its not that cheap and some of the smaller shops can compete reasonably well. Good for the 3 for 2 and buy one get one half price

I was in Eurospar on Christmas eve and it was packed and again about an hour ago. Maybe people are making a decision to stay local for what they can.

Anyway seasons greeting to you all. Im out to get some fresh air.

Is Tesco not local?

Is Tesco not local?

The store in question might be located in Rush but most people would not regard it as "local". Tesco are a major international player.

Eurospar would be recognised as a "Local" shop coming from its days as Price's, Spar and then Eurospar but in the same location with a good few of the same staff.

I believe from what I see they are matching Tesco on a lot of products and I sincerley hope they keep it up. They do have the power to match Tesco which is something that was said a few pages back when we consider the size of B.M.G Foods and the spar brand worldwide

You've said it in your post - Spare are worldwide. Tesco and Spar have both hired from the local community so so hairs can't be split there.

You should take into account that Rush's population has grown a lot since the days of Price's so I don't think loyalty is going to be a factor as you have alluded to in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Eurospar is a franchise with the local outlet most likely owned by local people. Tesco is owned by a UK company.

Eurospar is a franchise with the local outlet most likely owned by local people. Tesco is owned by a UK company.

In this economy, with as many foreign nationals and just as many nationals having moved here in the last 7 or 8 years, I would hardly think this would have a baring on where people will shop.

If what posters have said about Spar competing with Tesco is true, then by all means - fair play. A bit of competition won't do the town (and hopefully not either of the businesses) any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

A bit of competition won't do the town (and hopefully not either of the businesses) any harm.

In my view its the nature of the competition that customers should consider. Tesco are known internationally, to be a predator Co. They have the major distribution warehouse near Donabate, and can import direct from manufacturers, and undercut local shops which do not have the same buying power. Then when/if the local goes under, their prices will, and do revert to more normal levels of profit taking.
    They also do damage in other areas, Petrol, Insurance, Mobile Phones, Credit Cards,Electrical Goods, and in UK replacment Windows, where again they muscle in on local traders, they are not satisfied with Groceries.
    A few local suppliers will benefit in the short term supplying Veg, but eventually Tesco will decide they can buy cheaper and import leaving locals out of the supply chain. It has happened all over UK, again and again.

Have a look at this

http://notesonthefront.typepad.com/politicaleconomy/2011/03/tesco-admits-to-price-manipulation-increasing-the-price-of-products-before-reducing-them-again-as-part-of-a-price-promoti.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Eurospar are doing too little too late IMO. They've been taking the piss for the last few years and now when their hand is forced they decide to take action.

Their customer service and staffing levels have been brutal for years. I wouldn't give them my business unless they were alot cheaper than Tesco, which is never going to happen.

I get the ethical argument but Eurospar is in no way a quaint little corner shop. They have treated their customers appallingly over the years. You reap what you sow. I wont be back there anytime soon.

How many of the 90 jobs Tesco brought to Rush are locals?

You've said it in your post - Spare are worldwide. Tesco and Spar have both hired from the local community so so hairs can't be split there.

You should take into account that Rush's population has grown a lot since the days of Price's so I don't think loyalty is going to be a factor as you have alluded to in your post.

Its not just about "local" jobs its about what they can do with this community. The population has grown by about 50% but loyalty is going to be a factor as people are starting to see how multi-nationals like Tesco operate
    martinn123 wrote: »
    In my view its the nature of the competition that customers should consider. Tesco are known internationally, to be a predator Co. They have the major distribution warehouse near Donabate, and can import direct from manufacturers, and undercut local shops which do not have the same buying power. Then when/if the local goes under, their prices will, and do revert to more normal levels of profit taking.
    They also do damage in other areas, Petrol, Insurance, Mobile Phones, Credit Cards,Electrical Goods, and in UK replacment Windows, where again they muscle in on local traders, they are not satisfied with Groceries.
    A few local suppliers will benefit in the short term supplying Veg, but eventually Tesco will decide they can buy cheaper and import leaving locals out of the supply chain. It has happened all over UK, again and again.

Have a look at this

http://notesonthefront.typepad.com/politicaleconomy/2011/03/tesco-admits-to-price-manipulation-increasing-the-price-of-products-before-reducing-them-again-as-part-of-a-price-promoti.html

That sums it up for me.
    adox wrote: »
    Eurospar are doing too little too late IMO. They've been taking the piss for the last few years and now when their hand is forced they decide to take action.

Their customer service and staffing levels have been brutal for years. I wouldn't give them my business unless they were alot cheaper than Tesco, which is never going to happen.

I get the ethical argument but Eurospar is in no way a quaint little corner shop. They have treated their customers appallingly over the years. You reap what you sow. I wont be back there anytime soon.

Well the good thing is they have been forced to take action and are doing it. I have complained about some of their staff in the past and this was a problem is so far as people would moan but not go talk to a manager.

I am not saying Eurospar is a quaint little corner shop by nay means in fact I have critised them for usimng their collective power to match Tesco which I felt they could do. The community gets a fair bit out of Eurospar in terms of sponsorship and they have always bought local produce when it would have been easier to import or go elsewhere. This makes a big difference now to a growing number of people and should be taken into account. If Tesco did manage to squeeze Eurospar out believe me they would push up prices to a level where people would have to go outside the town, just have done all over the U.K

I don't think anyone is trying to make Tesco look like the good guy, here. We all know what tactics they use but when you're given the choice between something cheaper out of Tesco than out of Spar, you're going to choose Tesco everytime. If Spar goes pop and Tesco hike their prices, then so be it.

This is a practiced and proven technique. Tesco don't care that they'll lose customers when they raise their prices. The profit margin will stay the same with slightly higher prices and a slightly lower footflow as when the prices were slightly lower and footfall was higher.

I don't think anyone is trying to make Tesco look like the good guy, here. We all know what tactics they use but when you're given the choice between something cheaper out of Tesco than out of Spar, you're going to choose Tesco everytime. If Spar goes pop and Tesco hike their prices, then so be it.

This is a practiced and proven technique. Tesco don't care that they'll lose customers when they raise their prices. The profit margin will stay the same with slightly higher prices and a slightly lower footflow as when the prices were slightly lower and footfall was higher.

We aint going to agree. I know no one is trying to paint Tesco as the good guy here.

But whether we like their tactics or not does not mean we have to accept them. People power does make a difference and until more people complain it wont change, and I mean complain in Tesco as well as Eurospar.

Also something cheaper in Tesco does not mean you are getting value for money. I would not buy (anywhere) unless it was a quality product and some of the own brand products are just plain second rate in all chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

People seem to think that tesco will put prices up when eurospar closes. This is rubbish. Prices for Tesco are set regionally so the milk teabags and everything are descided for the whole country. There are some tiny variations ie when a product is overstocked shortdated etc.

I welcome all competition big or small. It should make all involved better in all aspects of their job. service availability Freshness price etc
    I hope Eurospar stays but before tesco opened i had several issues with the above hopefully they looked at all aspects of the business not just moving things around and matching some prices

Advertisement