Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wagg dog nuts

• 02-05-2011 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on Wagg dog nuts?
    My dog, lab x, usually eats Pedigree chicken & rice but lately he's not eating as much. He was in at the vets recently for a check up & the vet was happy enough with him but did suggest trying different brands.

I have already tried him with Royal Canine, James Wellbeloved, Burns, Red Mills & Bakers. None of which he seemed overly gone on. He does like the Pedigree but I was just wondering would it be worth my while to try out the Wagg in the meantime.
    I have concerns because it is so cheap, you get what you pay for. But in saying that he turned his nose up to the more expensive brands too.

Some days he will eat what's put in front of him & other days he doesn't seem to have much of an appetite. Usually if he hasn't eaten the nuts within about 20-30 mins I remove them & put them back after about an hour but sometimes even this doesn't work.

As I said the vet is happy enough with him. He's the correct weight, has a really good shine on his coat, bright eyes & is never sick (touch wood).

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Personally I wouldn't feed either pedigree or wagg; despite the fact that pedigree is so much more expensive, they are both very low quality foods. You would be better off feeding a better quality brand, even if he'll only eat a small bit at a time. Most reccomendation feeds are off, the food i feed reccommends to feed 600g for each of my dogs, I feed 400 and they are both perfect weight and going strong. If he isn't eating it, you're better off reducing the amount you feed him, and find a food that has as little preservatives in it as possible with a high meat content that is the first listed ingredient in the food. If either of my two dont eat their food straight off, its taken away after ten minutes, and they dont get it again until two-three hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

I feed my four Wagg , and they love it. Fills em up, and they are nice and healthy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Shanao wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't feed either pedigree or wagg; despite the fact that pedigree is so much more expensive, they are both very low quality foods. You would be better off feeding a better quality brand, even if he'll only eat a small bit at a time. Most reccomendation feeds are off, the food i feed reccommends to feed 600g for each of my dogs, I feed 400 and they are both perfect weight and going strong. If he isn't eating it, you're better off reducing the amount you feed him, and find a food that has as little preservatives in it as possible with a high meat content that is the first listed ingredient in the food. If either of my two dont eat their food straight off, its taken away after ten minutes, and they dont get it again until two-three hours later.

Well that's what brought my attention to the Wagg to be honest. No artificial colours, preservatives & no added sugar. The protein content is 21% & is listed first on the ingredients.

As regards the better quality foods, he just didn't bother with them but he will eat the Pedigree.

I tested him one day. I put a small bowl of Royal Canine & a small bowl of Pedigree out. He sniffed both of them & went back to the Pedigree & started eating them!

Well if someone put a salad and a cheeseburger in front of you, which would you be more likely to take? That's the problem with the low quality foods, they're so full of flavourings and additives that are banned from human consumption, but still somehow not banned from animal consumption, that they are pretty much in league with the likes of macdonalds. You can survive on it, but its not going to be very good for you. I prefer to use foods that have no preservatives at all in them, preservatives like BHA are used far too much in animal feed and they contribute to the growth of carcinogens and can cause stomach tumors. It doesn't matter if they're artifical or not, they still cause the same damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

I have read this a couple of times on different threads that maybe put the food into the microwave for a couple of seconds first, brings out the smell of the nuts. Mix a tin of tuna with it or crack an egg into it. How often are you feeding him?

• Advertisement

RubyGirl wrote: »
    I have read this a couple of times on different threads that maybe put the food into the microwave for a couple of seconds first, brings out the smell of the nuts. Mix a tin of tuna with it or crack an egg into it. How often are you feeding him?

He gets his breakfast in the morning. I leave a bowl of nuts for him during the day & he gets fed in the evening. I use the stainless steel dog bowls that are deep & I usually fill them up about half way.

His appetite is much better in the winter months, but as the weather is milder I have noticed that he doesn't eat as much. He's extremely active & gets two walks a day. One in the morning that lasts about half an hour & one in the evening that usually lasts about an hour. He also has over an acre to run around which he does with gusto. So given his level of activity I assumed that he would eat his food to keep up. His weight hasn't dropped at all & as I said the vet is happy with him.

Shanao wrote: »
    Well if someone put a salad and a cheeseburger in front of you, which would you be more likely to take? That's the problem with the low quality foods, they're so full of flavourings and additives that are banned from human consumption, but still somehow not banned from animal consumption, that they are pretty much in league with the likes of macdonalds. You can survive on it, but its not going to be very good for you. I prefer to use foods that have no preservatives at all in them, preservatives like BHA are used far too much in animal feed and they contribute to the growth of carcinogens and can cause stomach tumors. It doesn't matter if they're artifical or not, they still cause the same damage.

That's very interesting. I just assumed that no colours or additives meant just that.
    I have spent a small fortune on dog foods for him & have had to give bags of it away because he turned his nose up at it.
    I'll do a bit more research on it so, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

easyeason3 wrote: »
    He gets his breakfast in the morning. I leave a bowl of nuts for him during the day & he gets fed in the evening. I use the stainless steel dog bowls that are deep & I usually fill them up about half way.

His appetite is much better in the winter months, but as the weather is milder I have noticed that he doesn't eat as much. He's extremely active & gets two walks a day. One in the morning that lasts about half an hour & one in the evening that usually lasts about an hour. He also has over an acre to run around which he does with gusto. So given his level of activity I assumed that he would eat his food to keep up. His weight hasn't dropped at all & as I said the vet is happy with him.

Depending on his age, feeding him twice a day is enough unless he is under 6mts. Dont leave him food out for during the day to "graze" on. If its not eaten after 20mins take it up and offer it at his next meal. Do this and you might notice a difference in his eating habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

about 2 yrs ago i ran out of my usual dog food and couldnt get to where i usually by the food so bought a bag of waggs. OMG the amount of poo was unbelievable and as for the orange colour never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

about 2 yrs ago i ran out of my usual dog food and couldnt get to where i usually by the food so bought a bag of waggs. OMG the amount of poo was unbelievable and as for the orange colour never again.

Come to think of it, mine do poo ALOT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

TaraR wrote: »

That will always be the case with cheaper food..you feed more as well so ends up costing more than better foods.

TaraR wrote: »

That's because of the cereals used in lower quality foods. There are a lot of cereals an grains that dogs cant digest properly so most of it isn't absorbed and comes out the other end. Which adds up to you having to feed more to try and get them to absorb as much of it as possible.

Advertisement