Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acces Course this year, Uni next year?

Options
  • 02-05-2011 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hello there,

So about a month ago I started thinking about going to uni in Ireland. I am Dutch, born and raised. However my mother and father are Irish. And thus english is my mother tongue. I also have dual citizenship. Dutch and Irish passports.

At high school here in the Netherlands I did not do too well. I did VMBO, which is one of lower routes you can take here. I'm not exactly dumb, I was just extremely lazy. Passed without studying for anything.

I was planning on taking a slightly higher course in computer science here in holland when a good family friend advised me to try and apply to universities in Ireland. As a mature student; something I can't do right now as i'm 22 and only turn 23 in September.

I thought he was taking the piss, as personally I assumed I would never be able to handle higher level education. However the more I thought about it, the more the idea got stuck in my mind. So, the last few weeks I've been going through a whole bunch of different college websites. UCD, Trinity, Maynooth and DCU. My eye is on UCD. (The good family friend is a dean at UCD and is 100% convinced I can handle it, although I'm not so sure. Also my mother went to UCD.)

And while my English is at an acceptable level. I'm afraid it is not good enough for uni. I was kinda getting cold feet about the whole idea. Afraid i would screw up, and let down my parents and family. And waste a huge amount of money.

This evening I came across the access courses on the UCD website. AND i'm not too late to apply for this year apparently.

So I've been thinking about heading to Dublin a year early and get a feel for the city (although I've been there more then 30 times in the last 22 years). And to get used to writing (and reading) in English.

I'm planning to do Sociology. And I can't decide whether to do English or Politics as the second subject. This is still the access course.

I figure it would give me a better chance at getting accepted next year if/when I apply as a mature student.

My friend the dean does not think I will need it to get in, but I'm not so sure. I think it would definitely help. He has agreed to write a letter of recommendation, which should help as well.

Only thing which is not so great is that it's part time, and I've heard finding jobs in Ireland is not the easiest thing at the moment.

Wow, did not realize I typed such a freakin long story.:eek:

Anyway, if anyone could give me some advice it would be much appreciated.

Is it a good idea to do the Access Course? Or should I just try my luck next year as a mature student?

Anyway, thanks a lot in advance. I'll check this tommorrow evening again and hope for some replies.

Cya,
    Ionesco :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭onion rings

Edit. Just saw there now it's next year your hoping to return..

Regarding the access course, it's a good way to ease yourself back into the habit of studying and making it into class. It will certainly help your application, from what I gather mist colleges are more concerned that mature students are not going to drop out over academic achievements, although that's important too. While doing the access course you will meet new people and some of them my be in the same course as you the following year, so your not walking into a room full of mostly school leavers and know no one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ionesco

Well, I could not apply for a course this year anyway. As I am not old enough to apply as a mature student.

I have to wait and try and get in next year. But i'm thinking i should do an access course in the mean time instead of staying in holland and working. Will mean less money, but ah well. Hopefully i can find some work in Dublin.
    And you seem to agree :)

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ionesco wrote: »
    Hello there,

So about a month ago I started thinking about going to uni in Ireland. I am Dutch, born and raised. However my mother and father are Irish. And thus english is my mother tongue. I also have dual citizenship. Dutch and Irish passports.

At high school here in the Netherlands I did not do too well. I did VMBO, which is one of lower routes you can take here. I'm not exactly dumb, I was just extremely lazy. Passed without studying for anything.

I was planning on taking a slightly higher course in computer science here in holland when a good family friend advised me to try and apply to universities in Ireland. As a mature student; something I can't do right now as i'm 22 and only turn 23 in September.

I thought he was taking the piss, as personally I assumed I would never be able to handle higher level education. However the more I thought about it, the more the idea got stuck in my mind. So, the last few weeks I've been going through a whole bunch of different college websites. UCD, Trinity, Maynooth and DCU. My eye is on UCD. (The good family friend is a dean at UCD and is 100% convinced I can handle it, although I'm not so sure. Also my mother went to UCD.)

People surprise themselves when they go back to College. I, like you, wasn't the most dedicated student when I was in high school (secondary school), but I went back initially around the same age as you, and as I was doing it on my own terms and had matured somewhat, I found that you focus on study more and appreciate more that it is something you want to do.

Don't let confidence be an issue, really and truly, anyone can do it, it's not impossible and University is aimed towards understanding subject matter, but unless it's completely out of your depth (such as technical maths subject for someone without an apptitude towards numbers) it really isn't rocket science. You have to work, and work bloody hard, but you get out of it what you put in, and if you make a lot of effort, you'll understand a lot of the subjects.

There's no question that you can do it if you give it a shot and take it seriously and aren't afraid to do a bit of work. The main thing is to go to all of your lectures, you will pick up a lot of information from that alone.
    And while my English is at an acceptable level. I'm afraid it is not good enough for uni. I was kinda getting cold feet about the whole idea. Afraid i would screw up, and let down my parents and family. And waste a huge amount of money.

Well, the fact that your post seems perfectly normal and you know the term "taking the piss", I'm sure your English is fine, and will improve in time also, obviously. Also, a lot of course work is based on reading and notes which you can study in your own time, and anything you don't understand you can ask your lecturer and I am sure there are some student union services for foreign tongue students.
    This evening I came across the access courses on the UCD website. AND i'm not too late to apply for this year apparently.

So I've been thinking about heading to Dublin a year early and get a feel for the city (although I've been there more then 30 times in the last 22 years). And to get used to writing (and reading) in English.

I'm planning to do Sociology. And I can't decide whether to do English or Politics as the second subject. This is still the access course.

I figure it would give me a better chance at getting accepted next year if/when I apply as a mature student.

My friend the dean does not think I will need it to get in, but I'm not so sure. I think it would definitely help. He has agreed to write a letter of recommendation, which should help as well.

Only thing which is not so great is that it's part time, and I've heard finding jobs in Ireland is not the easiest thing at the moment.

Wow, did not realize I typed such a freakin long story.:eek:

Anyway, if anyone could give me some advice it would be much appreciated.

Is it a good idea to do the Access Course? Or should I just try my luck next year as a mature student?

Anyway, thanks a lot in advance. I'll check this tommorrow evening again and hope for some replies.

Cya,
    Ionesco :D

The access course is an excellent idea for you. It is inexpensive (relatively) and it will not only give you time to adjust to the city, but you can meet people, make friends with people who will be on your course, even find a job perhaps and take the pressure off your worry about your family and financial strain, and just enjoy yourself and re-find your apptitude towards study. If you can do the access course you can do the degree, and the access course is designed towards easing people back in to education and I think it would be a very good idea for you to take this route. And, if at the end you find it's not for you, wsell that's fair enough and just put it down as a year away to enjoy yourself and explore your options, but I've a feeling you'll be absolutely fine if you do it.

Best of luck with it, but don't talk yourself down, go for it, you might just surprise yourself, but be realistic, there's nothing worth getting that you don't have to work for, and that alone could be the most important thing you will learn from this and develop if you go for it. But do believe in yourself, it's a lot more daunting in your mind than it is in reality and you can do it.

Best of luck. :)

Advertisement