Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A quick religion question.

• 02-05-2011 10:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody, just a quick Marital question.

So myself, I'm a protestant (Church of Ireland) and I'm currently in a relationship with a girl from the Eastern Orthodox church.

My question is, if we were to wed, would one of us need to change our religion or something like this?

Sorry if this has been asked countless times before :o

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

as far as i know you can get married in a register office.but if you want like a church wedding one needs to change ,my sis about 15 yrs ago got married and he had to be baptised and get his communion and conformation ,having said that i got married last year and all we had to do was promise to raise our kids same religion [catholic]:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Why not ask the Eastern Orthodox themselves on www.monachos.net? or you could always ask that question on Catholic answer forums www.forums.catholic.com

From myself? If getting married in the EO then you must change. I had a polish friend who married a protestant and he changed to Catholic.

Onesimus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭Quo Vadis

double GG wrote: »
    Hey everybody, just a quick Marital question.

So myself, I'm a protestant (Church of Ireland) and I'm currently in a relationship with a girl from the Eastern Orthodox church.

My question is, if we were to wed, would one of us need to change our religion or something like this?

Sorry if this has been asked countless times before :o

Many thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what the rules are in the Eastern Orthodox church, but as an example, if you're Girlfriend was a Roman Catholic for example, she would be allowed to marry a Protestant, provided she got prior approval, and a Roman Catholic Priest must be present at the marriage ceremony in order to provide the sacrament of marriage, and you both agreed to baptise and raise your children in the Roman Catholic faith. You would be able to keep your own denomination if you wished. Good luck to you both and God bless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

My cousin (Lutheran) married a Romanian Orthodox girl last year. They first got married in a Germany in a registrar office (to make it easier for them in Germany). They then married a year later in Romania in an Orthodox church without any problems.

I also know a few older German (Lutheran) ladies who are living with their Greek husbands in Athens and as far as I know none of them had to convert.

So I presume it should be similar possible for an Anglican and an Eastern Orthodox to marry without one having to convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

double GG wrote: »

If you both are practising and devote CoI and EO Christians then wedding is your least problem I guess. The main question is, are you prepared to raise your kids in EO Church or is your girlfriend prepared to raise them in CoI?

As far as the marriage is concerned, in general it's possible for you to get married in either Church without any conversions required. It might need some extra paperwork but nothing terrible. However, different EO Churches could have different rules on that; which particular Orthodox Church your girlfriend belongs to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You both subscribe to the same religion, Christianity. You probably meant to say "denomination".

If either of you are practising and regularly attending church then you should probably both have a word with somebody from both churches. Perhaps it is also best to explore the tenets of each denomination if either of you are unfamiliar with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Donatello

You both subscribe to the same religion, Christianity. You probably meant to say "denomination".

If either of you are practising and regularly attending church then you should probably both have a word with somebody from both churches. Perhaps it is also best to explore the tenets of each denomination if either of you are unfamiliar with them.

The Orthodox are not a denomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: In the Church of Ireland I don't think you have to change your religion formally as long as one of the partners is Church of Ireland. It isn't as strict as in the RCC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Donatello wrote: »
    The Orthodox are not a denomination.

That would be an ecumenical matter.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

There is no specific requirement to convert. From the Cathechism

Mixed marriages and disparity of cult
    1633 In many countries the situation of a mixed marriage (marriage between a Catholic and a baptized non-Catholic) often arises. It requires particular attention on the part of couples and their pastors. A case of marriage with disparity of cult (between a Catholic and a non-baptized person) requires even greater circumspection.
    1634 Difference of confession between the spouses does not constitute an insurmountable obstacle for marriage, when they succeed in placing in common what they have received from their respective communities, and learn from each other the way in which each lives in fidelity to Christ. But the difficulties of mixed marriages must not be underestimated. They arise from the fact that the separation of Christians has not yet been overcome. The spouses risk experiencing the tragedy of Christian disunity even in the heart of their own home. Disparity of cult can further aggravate these difficulties. Differences about faith and the very notion of marriage, but also different religious mentalities, can become sources of tension in marriage, especially as regards the education of children. The temptation to religious indifference can then arise.
    1635 According to the law in force in the Latin Church, a mixed marriage needs for liceity the express permission of ecclesiastical authority.137 In case of disparity of cult an express dispensation from this impediment is required for the validity of the marriage.138 This permission or dispensation presupposes that both parties know and do not exclude the essential ends and properties of marriage; and furthermore that the Catholic party confirms the obligations, which have been made known to the non-Catholic party, of preserving his or her own faith and ensuring the baptism and education of the children in the Catholic Church.139
    1636 Through ecumenical dialogue Christian communities in many regions have been able to put into effect a common pastoral practice for mixed marriages. Its task is to help such couples live out their particular situation in the light of faith, overcome the tensions between the couple's obligations to each other and towards their ecclesial communities, and encourage the flowering of what is common to them in faith and respect for what separates them.
    1637 In marriages with disparity of cult the Catholic spouse has a particular task: "For the unbelieving husband is consecrated through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is consecrated through her husband."140 It is a great joy for the Christian spouse and for the Church if this "consecration" should lead to the free conversion of the other spouse to the Christian faith.141 Sincere married love, the humble and patient practice of the family virtues, and perseverance in prayer can prepare the non-believing spouse to accept the grace of conversion.

I would imagine the Eastern Orthodox Church is not that different in its attitude give it is in communion with Rome so the only condsideration would be the upbringing of any children and in that case they should be raised Catholic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement