Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a car VS buying a car in OZ

Options
  • 02-05-2011 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all I'll be doing the eastcoast of Oz for six weeks this summer with a couple of pals and looking at the option of a car as transport (mainly as I'd like to get as much surfing done as I can while over there)

Can anybody advise me as to which would be a better option renting a car or buying a banger with the intent of selling on at the end of the six weeks?

Also does anybody know that if I am buying, would I have to take out a year's insurance like in Ireland?!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You can get 6month insurance, but when you buy the car make sure it has a long Pink slip (NCT) on it, as if you only have a short amount on it you can get stung big time if something wrong, and difficult to sell.

Unfortunately saying which one is better is impossible, as it depends on what car you buy ...

I know people who bought and sold the car and made profit, and I know people stung for a big NCT bill before they could sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 John_M

Thanks! Is car insurance anything like the mad prices we have here?!

I wonder has any boardsies have experience renting cars in Oz? And if so what kind of prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

John_M wrote: »
    Thanks! Is car insurance anything like the mad prices we have here?!

I wonder has any boardsies have experience renting cars in Oz? And if so what kind of prices?

I found them half the price for the same car i had here and very reasonable on the other halves car,it is considerably cheaper.

Also found out after doing an oral test in QLD for a our driving licenses we got a refund @$30 each a few weeks later as you can get one without testing and we shouldn't have been charged,probably the only luck you will bring from Ireland ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

just rented a car with hertz in tasmania, worked out 185 dollars (70e a day) for 2 days, might be cheaper per day if you keep it for 6 weeks.my fee is with the maximum cover included which is 32 dollars per day

you really need to do the maths in order to make a decision

consider factors like you definetly need a credit card for renting, and the person who owns the card is taking on a big responsability , more than the obvious costs.

For example the fine prints of the rental companies are very strict. There are certain off roads where you are not allowed to drive,
    also i 've read that if someone crashes into you, the rental company will take the money off you first and then give it back to you when its recovered from the other party, something to consider when you are driving in rural areas and there are many 'cowboys' in their trucks around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

for the insurance use www.progressivedirect.com.au , they are a 100% online insurance and very easy to deal with. Price is correct too.
    you need to pay for the year but can cancel anytime and they will refund you. choose to pay monthly if you don't want to pay one year upfront.
    Bying a car might be a good idea but selling it is not that easy, i mean it takes time. and don't buy a big v8 they drink 16 liter + per 100 kms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I use these guys regularly for hire car insurance, but I've never had to claim so can't vouch for them 100%.

http://www.carhire-excess-insurance.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 John_M

THanks guys, didn't consider that about the fine print when renting cars! That could be a nightmare to deal with.

I presume you could just sell direct to a car dealer? (I know you won't get the best price, but I'll only be in the country 6 weeks)

Advertisement