Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preventative tablet for 'runner's trots'

Options
  • 02-05-2011 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Help, please! I have had the above complaint three times on my long runs since I started running more than 15k. Each time I've had to do something about it, including squatting behind a wall, behind a tree and going into a coffee shop.

My book ''The Marathon and Half Marathon: A Training Guide"
    Graeme Hilditch says that it's due to stomach not tolerating what I've consumed. In most cases, as I'll start the long run at 9AM I've had would have been a small bowl of milky porridge with a few blueberries in it and a cup of tea two hours beforehand. Then 30-40 mins before I leave, I have a banana.

I'm running the Kildare half marathon in two weeks and want to avoid this affliction. Graeme Hilditch (author of above book) says that some people take tablets but that some tablets can cause discomfort during running.

Can any of you please help by sharing the names of your trot-removing but non-gut-wrenching tablets?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Imodium should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

Take 2 Imodium about half an hour before going for your run (or at the 12 - 15k point if it's only after this distance that you get the complaint).

Alternatives that will do the same job: Arret, Lomotil.

Pop into your local pharmacy and they'll sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Oswalder

Brilliant - thanks a million, Northern Monkey and spdmrphy.

I'm feeling a lot more relaxed about this now. Phew! Muchos gratitude to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I'm not so sure, would that not stop you absorbing any nutrients from the food you just ate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I'm not so sure, would that not stop you absorbing any nutrients from the food you just ate?

I dont think it stops the absorbtion of nutrients just slows the passage of food through the digestive system. . I usually take a couple before a long race just to be safe and never had any issues. It can cause cramping in some people though so definitely worth trying it out on a short run first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Oswalder wrote: »
    In most cases, as I'll start the long run at 9AM I've had would have been a small bowl of milky porridge with a few blueberries in it and a cup of tea two hours beforehand. Then 30-40 mins before I leave, I have a banana.

You could try changing your pre-run food. Some people find fruit before a run is a bad idea, so ditch the blueberries. Or try something bread-based instead of the porridge. Or go for the breakfast fry :D
    Just try out a few different options.

(and see if you can clear the system before your run)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Alternatives to tablets (that work for me) are, not eating for 3 hours before a run. So, if your run is early then you either get up that much earlier or else skip breakfast, and eat a good carb based meal the night before. 30-40 min before run, just drink a sports drink, if you feel the need to top up.

Advertisement