Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disputed 6 month ban from Conspiracy Theories forum

Options
  • 02-05-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭

Received a 6 month ban from Conspiracy Theories forum earlier. Moderator is yekahS.

Alleged abuse:

Accusing people of anti-semitism is against the charter. It doesn't matter that you didn't accuse anyone directly by using their username, your intentions were obvious.

Actual context here:
    Originally Posted by Brown Bomber
    Actually there is no reason why they can't be both as evidenced by the CCTV footage of the bungling Mossad asssasins in Dubai in funny disguises.
    Funny disguises? Anyone catch them? Their intended victim still alive?

Compare with a few kids taking photos miles from the WTC with ****ty cameras and not demonstrating best taste. Oh and therefore opening themselves up to armchair anti-Semites and their half-baked conspiracy myths.

Now, aside from a six month ban for an infraction that is supposed to be a single point matter, there's the absense of any actual charter breach. I didn't accuse anyone in the forum of anti-Semitism, but rather pointed out that anti-Semites latch on to this sort of misinformation. The terms of moderation appear to have gone walkabout in this case - and subsequent PM's from yekahS suggest that the ban didn't actually relate to the supposed infraction, but to a "disruptive and insulting posting pattern" and "trolling" - though no actual evidence of the same was offered to support the contention.

yekahS is arguably working outside the bounds of normal moderation terms, even allowing for a generous 'spirit, rather than letter' reading. A six month ban for a single point infraction is one thing, but an erroneous breach really does take the biscuit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71985640&postcount=43

cheers,
    alastair

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi alistair,

I've taken the morning to have a look at your DR.
    alastair wrote: »
    Now, aside from a six month ban for an infraction that is supposed to be a single point matter, there's the absense of any actual charter breach. I didn't accuse anyone in the forum of anti-Semitism, but rather pointed out that anti-Semites latch on to this sort of misinformation.
    I don't think anyone including yourself actually believes that. The implication in your post is that the poster you quoted - and with whom you have quite a bit of history - is an anti-Semite. Any objective reading will reach that conclusion. It doesn't matter that you've tried to couch it in such a way as to be vague, the intent is clear.
    The terms of moderation appear to have gone walkabout in this case - and subsequent PM's from yekahS suggest that the ban didn't actually relate to the supposed infraction, but to a "disruptive and insulting posting pattern" and "trolling" - though no actual evidence of the same was offered to support the contention.
    I would certainly count your six previous bans from the forum as evidence of the above. Does that not suggest a pattern to you?
    yekahS is arguably working outside the bounds of normal moderation terms, even allowing for a generous 'spirit, rather than letter' reading. A six month ban for a single point infraction is one thing, but an erroneous breach really does take the biscuit.
    Much as it would suit a lot of boards users to have every post taken in isolation, you aren't receiving a six month ban for a single infraction. That much should be obvious to you.

So to conclude, for the reasons above, I don't see any reason to change the mods decision in this case.

Dades

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Dades wrote: »
    Hi alistair,

I've taken the morning to have a look at your DR.

I don't think anyone including yourself actually believes that. The implication in your post is that the poster you quoted - and with whom you have quite a bit of history - is an anti-Semite. Any objective reading will reach that conclusion. It doesn't matter that you've tried to couch it in such a way as to be vague, the intent is clear.
    An objective reading of the post would lead to no such conclusion - a subjective reading might, but then that's no way to moderate a forum - either a statement is taken at face value or we should all just pack up and forget about dialogue. I've previously stated my opinions about the poster's obvious bias, and make no bones about it, but I'm not referencing him here - rather the broader problem
    I would certainly count your six previous bans from the forum as evidence of the above. Does that not suggest a pattern to you?
    It would suggest a pattern of banning alright, but that's assuming I've had six bans from the forum, which I haven't.
    Much as it would suit a lot of boards users to have every post taken in isolation, you aren't receiving a six month ban for a single infraction. That much should be obvious to you.

So to conclude, for the reasons above, I don't see any reason to change the mods decision in this case.

Dades

Grand so, I'd ask that an admin cast an actual objective set of eyes over the post in question and my posting history and see what they make of the situation. Do I need to do anything more to flag the request?

Cheers for your time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It would suggest a pattern of banning alright, but that's assuming I've had six bans from the forum, which I haven't.
    Apologies, FIVE bans from Conspiracy Theories and one from Radio.

2011-01-28, 10:24 am Conspiracy Theories yekahS Banned 3 Month(s)
    2010-10-04, 7:46 pm Conspiracy Theories The Recliner Banned 1 Month(s)
    2010-09-13, 5:33 pm Conspiracy Theories The Recliner Banned. 14 Day(s)
    2010-08-29, 12:49 pm Conspiracy Theories humanji Banned. 7 Day(s)
    2010-08-18, 8:56 am Conspiracy Theories humanji Banned. 3 Day(s)
    Grand so, I'd ask that an admin cast an actual objective set of eyes over the post in question and my posting history and see what they make of the situation. Do I need to do anything more to flag the request?
    An Admin should spot this shortly enough and take it from there.
    Cheers for your time.
    You're welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

For the record I support Dades' analysis here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

2011-01-28, 10:24 am Conspiracy Theories yekahS Banned 3 Month(s)
    2010-10-04, 7:46 pm Conspiracy Theories The Recliner Banned 1 Month(s)
    2010-09-13, 5:33 pm Conspiracy Theories The Recliner Banned. 14 Day(s)
    2010-08-29, 12:49 pm Conspiracy Theories humanji Banned. 7 Day(s)
    2010-08-18, 8:56 am Conspiracy Theories humanji Banned. 3 Day(s)
    I really don't think there is anything to add to that. Thats history. 6 months was the next ban on the list and that is what you got. When this one is up, the next could be permanent. I would reflect on that if I were you.
    As always, the Mods and CMods can if they see fit request to have this ban shortened or removed. Till then, I see no reason to over turn this current ban.
    This thread is resolved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement