Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

out of bounds areas for cat

• 02-05-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Do you have places in your house that the cat isn't allowed to go to or chairs they can't sit on?

How can you train the cat to lie on certain areas in the house as mine likes to lie on the stairs, jump up on the table etc

Thanks for any tips

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

To keep them off the counters, try 'scat mats' - these are sticky mats that cats hate the feel of on their paws. Not sure if the product by that name will be available in Ireland, but a product following the same concept surely will. They're washable and reusable and you can store them away.

A spray mister full of clean water also works if you can squirt the cat the moment you find them doing something you don't want. Clapping your hands and making a loud noise can help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

serenacat wrote: »
    Do you have places in your house that the cat isn't allowed to go to or chairs they can't sit on?

How can you train the cat to lie on certain areas in the house as mine likes to lie on the stairs, jump up on the table etc

Thanks for any tips

Cats are very clever and can learn not to go somewhere or do something, assuming that they chose to learn and it's not a major inconvenience to them. But by their very nature they like to have free reign of the house and/or garden and like to suit themselves. We have four and they mostly do what they like, sleep where they chose and climb on whatever takes their fancy. They have learned that a stern 'NO' means that something is not allowed while we're there to supervise them but I'm under no illusion but that they do whatever they like when we're not in the house. They won't get on the table while we're eating as they know it's not allowed but they will sit and miaow and purr loudly in the hope of getting something from our plates. They climb on all the worktops and the dresser but know it's not allowed while I'm preparing food or washing up. I just make sure that I clean all my work and food preparation areas before and after I use them. They sleep with us in our bed and if any of them is sleeping in our spot on the sofa we either sit somewhere else or just put them on our knees and sit sown. I know they're kinda spoiled but they all had a very hard start in life so we're making it up to them and proving that not all humans are horrible, hateful animal abusers. And they return our love and adoration tenfold.If you provide them with a big climbing frame/scratching post, theyre more likely to use that to climb on than the furniture but it's not a guarantee.Personally I think that if you have one or more cats, you need to learn to live with them and love their little foibles and their adorable, independent natures. If you don't want an animal who'll climb your furniture, cover your house and your clothes in hair and sleep wherever they find to be most comfortable at that particular time then chose another animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

MaryK666 wrote: »
    Cats are very clever and can learn not to go somewhere or do something, assuming that they chose to learn and it's not a major inconvenience to them. But by their very nature they like to have free reign of the house and/or garden and like to suit themselves. We have four and they mostly do what they like, sleep where they chose and climb on whatever takes their fancy. They have learned that a stern 'NO' means that something is not allowed while we're there to supervise them but I'm under no illusion but that they do whatever they like when we're not in the house. They won't get on the table while we're eating as they know it's not allowed but they will sit and miaow and purr loudly in the hope of getting something from our plates. They climb on all the worktops and the dresser but know it's not allowed while I'm preparing food or washing up. I just make sure that I clean all my work and food preparation areas before and after I use them. They sleep with us in our bed and if any of them is sleeping in our spot on the sofa we either sit somewhere else or just put them on our knees and sit sown. I know they're kinda spoiled but they all had a very hard start in life so we're making it up to them and proving that not all humans are horrible, hateful animal abusers. And they return our love and adoration tenfold.If you provide them with a big climbing frame/scratching post, theyre more likely to use that to climb on than the furniture but it's not a guarantee.Personally I think that if you have one or more cats, you need to learn to live with them and love their little foibles and their adorable, independent natures. If you don't want an animal who'll climb your furniture, cover your house and your clothes in hair and sleep wherever they find to be most comfortable at that particular time then chose another animal.
    I don't mind so much but my dad hates when he sleeps on the 'good' chair. The cat refuses to be picked up and will bite at you if you try to get him to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't mind so much but my dad hates when he sleeps on the 'good' chair. The cat refuses to be picked up and will bite at you if you try to get him to move.
    If you hold the cat by scruff before lifting (use your other hand to lift!), he should relax. Note that while kittens can be lifted by the scruff, adult cats can't, but holding their scruff while they're being moved or examined is supposed to make them relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

One can dream, OP....:rolleyes:

Mine are NOT allowed on counters and the table. But having said that, flies have been coming in the windows lately, and I've often found one or the other of them perched on the counter, poised to jump on the windowsill to massacre buzzing insects. I usually let a shout out - they normally jump down before I do as they know they're not allowed up there. Ditto for the table. Let's just say, a whole lot of disinfectant is used in this house!!

As for bedrooms - well they're not allowed in the spare rooms, but if the doors are open and we're not around they'll be in there like a shot. So the doors are kept closed as much as possible.

If you make an area off limits to a cat, they will usually avoid it while you are around. (ie, within their sight range :D). But when you're not, it's fair game as far as they're concerned, unless there's a physical deterrent (such as a door!) in their way.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else's cat sit or lie in the middle of the stairs? Really hazardous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Mine does, I think it's secretly trying to kill me! :-)

I tell my cat to stay off the worktops, table, not to drink out of my glass, stay off my bed etc and it doesn't work! I think with cats they mostly do as they please! And if I'm really lucky I get a dismembered mouse as a pressie :-)

I wouldn't change him, in fact want to adopt two more!

seamus wrote: »
    If you hold the cat by scruff before lifting (use your other hand to lift!), he should relax. Note that while kittens can be lifted by the scruff, adult cats can't, but holding their scruff while they're being moved or examined is supposed to make them relax.

I tried this but no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Bribe him off the chair? I.e. rattle the kibble box or tempt with one of those treat sticks :P. Works fine with ours they give up their spot in a shot for one of those ...

morgana wrote: »
    Bribe him off the chair? I.e. rattle the kibble box or tempt with one of those treat sticks :P. Works fine with ours they give up their spot in a shot for one of those ...

I'll try.. eventually do they stop sitting on a certain chair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If I wanted to sit on a chair and the cat tried to bite me for moving it gently, I'd just shove it with a cushion. Gently of course.

Whispered wrote: »
    If I wanted to sit on a chair and the cat tried to bite me for moving it gently, I'd just shove it with a cushion. Gently of course.

That's what I use as a shield! or if I am going out and have to put the cat out sometimes a towel can be used to shield you! I generally don't mind where he goes but the stairs is particularly annoying especially for guests who aren't expecting him , he is quite big and takes up the whole step! he especially likes the top of the stairs for maximum impact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

If ours are anything to go by, they tend to change their all time fav spots every once in a while. Mind you, it can take months though :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You could try creating an even better seat for him. Something high up, warm, fleecy etc. He might choose to sit there instead.

Advertisement