Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Please - Couple's (self shot) Portrait

• 02-05-2011 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Okay, so myself and the girlfriend would really love some 'professional' pictures done but we are really broke. I have a nikon d80, a tripod, 18-155mm 3.5f lens and a remote so technically I should be able to do it myself right? :confused:

Now, google for once has been no help, no matter how differently i frame the query, so I was hoping someone here would be able to help...

What I really need to know is how will i get the focus right when I'm not there? Should I select continuous focus or auto focus or single focus? Should I focus on her and then jump in? Ideally I'd love to have it on 1/4 sec or something nice and fast and try to get her to forget about the camera and just shoot away clicking the remote at random but not sure if that's possible?

Asking one of my friends to push the button is not an option as we would have trouble being as intimate as needed to generate a genuinly romantic picture that's not forced or cheesy.

Again, any advise would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Auto focus on your girlfriend, then switch the lens to manual so it doesn't move. With the 10 second timer already set, press the shutter button & quicky run over into the shot.
    Repeat as many times as it takes. I've done this a good few times & works fine!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Could you tether to a laptop to help you compose and take the shots? That way you shouldn't need to run around too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Auto focus on your girlfriend, then switch the lens to manual so it doesn't move. With the 10 second timer already set, press the shutter button & quicky run over into the shot.
    Repeat as many times as it takes. I've done this a good few times & works fine!

Eureka! I have a remote though so running around won't be needed :cool:
    5uspect wrote: »
    Could you tether to a laptop to help you compose and take the shots? That way you shouldn't need to run around too much.

My camera has usb and video out (1/4" jack) so must investigate what my cabling options are.

Cheers for the advice people, much appreciated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭dmg1982

You could calculate your depth-of-field (DOF) while composing the shot, so that you know how much leeway you've got with your focus (i.e. how much space yourself and the missus have to move around in without being out of focus). Check out http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
    As a previous post suggests locking the focus on your girlfriend then switching to manual is an ideal way to go.

Setting the focal length to the longer end of the scale (say 80mm and over) will give more flattering portraits.

Hope it goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Thanks DMG, much appreciated.

I've acquired Nikon's Camera Control 2 which basically lets you operate the AF & Shutter from your laptop and then imports directly in to lightroom which is a bit of a help too in fairness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement