Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eircom Broadband Meter

• 02-05-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there is any sort of eircom Broadband Meter available to monitor the usage of broadband over a month, so that at a glance i can see how much is left in my quota for that month.

There are 2-3 laptops and 1-2 phones using it so i'd need to see what he actual broadband router (netopia) is doing.

I suppose i'm asking can i get that data from the router?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

http://support.eircom.net/ - click on broadband support
    Enter your landline number and account number to get the stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just to warn you, the usage meter Eircom provides merely reads the stats from their site.

It doesn't actively monitor your usage from the source. If you want to monitor from the source, many routers come with an inbuilt meter which is dead handy to double check against Eircom. I generally find my router is about 2% higher than Eircom's reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭Cork Skate

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just to warn you, the usage meter Eircom provides merely reads the stats from their site.

It doesn't actively monitor your usage from the source. If you want to monitor from the source, many routers come with an inbuilt meter which is dead handy to double check against Eircom. I generally find my router is about 2% higher than Eircom's reading.

This is what i'm after. So i just need to check if my router has a meter built in and check if its turned on.

This is the router that i have. It doesn't seem immediately obvious whether i can turn on a built in meter or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Cork Skate wrote: »
    This is the router that i have. It doesn't seem immediately obvious whether i can turn on a built in meter or not.

No, thats the standard Eircom router. It won't and never will have a meter. You'd need to buy a router with one built it. It's a fairly standard feature in the higher end Netgear or Belkin models.

To be honest, the Eircom stats are reasonably accurate, so they should be your first port of call. I have a meter router merely because I upgraded.

ironclaw wrote: »
    No, thats the standard Eircom router. It won't and never will have a meter. You'd need to buy a router with one built it. It's a fairly standard feature in the higher end Netgear or Belkin models.

To be honest, the Eircom stats are reasonably accurate, so they should be your first port of call. I have a meter router merely because I upgraded.

Cheers for that. I couldn't remember where i got it from, and yeah it makes sense that it wouldn't have a meter built in.

I'll check out that eircom Stats as well
    Thank you for choosing Motorola Mobility. I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing and I understand you need assistance with the Netopia 3347NWG-006 Gateway. Unfortunately this Netopia model is discontinued and at end-of-life. We no longer offer phone or email support for this model. You can contact your Service Provider for a suggested replacement model..

So thats that then. I need a new router. Can anyone suggest something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

What might work for you is to monitor SNTP. This is a series of counters that are used on some devices and i have used it before on Netopia and Cisco devices.

I used http://www.paessler.com/snmp_monitor but i was using the paid version. Downloading the free version now to see if it works.

If it works as i think it should do what you want. Will let you know when i have tested it.

Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Just use the eircom software meter. What more accuracy do you need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

The PRTG network monitor will work but is far too complicated for what you need.

Eircom meter being 2% off sounds pretty good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement