Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Trailer Tents

• 02-05-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking into buying a trailer tent, anyone own one and can give me some insight into them.

Are they easy to erect - supposed to be 30mins.
    Pros & Cons of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Something the matter?

Something the matter?

Trailer tents are'nt as popular as I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Well pros I suppose,
    smaller than a caravan
    lighter and easier to tow
    don't take all the light when parked around the side of your house for 350 days of the year
    easier to pitch than a tent on poor ground and more ideal setup than tent

cons
    When you have to leave and its raining you have to pack it away wet which leads to soggy mattresses, swelling chipboard and usually when people can't be arsed drying it out when the get home lots of mould.

Older trailer tents are usually cotton and require regular waterproofing, don't touch the side kids etc. yadayada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Charles Camping in Blessington and O'Meara Camping both sell them, The O'Meara link has a good demo video. Might be worth picking their brains.
    My neighbours had one for a couple of years before upgrading to a caravan. They sold it on here to somebody asking the same questions as yourself.
    They absolutely loved it and the freedom it allowed, towable with a small car and handy enough to set up. They then decided on the caravan for the convenience of arriving on site, unpacking and you're pretty much done.
    Weather also a factor as the caravan/MH protects a little more from the elements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

I changed from a campervan to a trailer tent (cue boos and hisses!). I love our tt and wouldn't go back to the campervan. Never "got" the campervan, maybe it was the layout, but anyhoo....

We bought a second hand Conway. No way will I get it set up in 30 mins. 45m sounds nearer with another adult to help. It's 20 years old, bought it for €300 last year on donedeal and it's spotless. It's massive, about 20ft long and 15ft wide. It packs into a small trailer and you don't notice it when towing. There are loads of different types. Here's a great site for tt reviews and opinions...http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/

Ours came without instructions so it took a while to figure out how to set it up, I've set up the tt about 3 times now just to get the feel of it. We're off to France in July for a few weeks. Haven't camped in it yet but looking forward to it. Check out the website above, it's packed with info.

I changed from a campervan to a trailer tent (cue boos and hisses!). I love our tt and wouldn't go back to the campervan. Never "got" the campervan, maybe it was the layout, but anyhoo....

We bought a second hand Conway. No way will I get it set up in 30 mins. 45m sounds nearer with another adult to help. It's 20 years old, bought it for €300 last year on donedeal and it's spotless. It's massive, about 20ft long and 15ft wide. It packs into a small trailer and you don't notice it when towing. There are loads of different types. Here's a great site for tt reviews and opinions...http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/

Ours came without instructions so it took a while to figure out how to set it up, I've set up the tt about 3 times now just to get the feel of it. We're off to France in July for a few weeks. Haven't camped in it yet but looking forward to it. Check out the website above, it's packed with info.

Great, will check it out. Same here selling camper so hoping to invest in one this year aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I love our tt and wouldn't go back to the campervan.
    Haven't camped in it yet but looking forward to it.

:D Thats conclusive then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

I changed from a campervan to a trailer tent (cue boos and hisses!).

Boo Hiss... Down with that sort of thing ;)

Horses for courses enjoy the tent.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

WildWater wrote: »
    Boo Hiss... Down with that sort of thing ;)

Careful now.

FATHER_TED_Down_with_this_sort_of_t.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement