Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approx 12,700 non-US customer card numbers and expiration dates stolen from SOE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

marco_polo wrote: »
    Wait so this SOE security breech is an entirely seperate to the PSN hack? Epic fail Sony :eek:.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/strategy/item/21613-latest-cyber-attack-on-sony/

Yep, it now affects PC gamers who have subscribed to any of the SOE services (though from the looks of things only those who subscribed pre-2007) as well as those affected on PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

This is bad for soe , they already recently closed down few studis and aload of people lost their jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

When do you think you'll you be comfortable using your Credit Card to buy things on PSN? (6 months, a year, straight away?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Straight away, people are overreacting to this way to much, everyone will forget this in a few weeks when their headshotting their friends in COD :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

2smiggy wrote: »
    what exactly do you know about sonys security ? enlighten me please. this could have happened to any company. just happens some group of people (with a very good knowledge of computers) took a dislike to sony. hope they catch and jail them.

ps :rolleyes:

Aside from the fact that it happened to two seperate sony networks, since groups of people (with a very good knowledge of computers) do not routinely walk off with potentially up to 100m users personal details from other online provideds, is reason enough to concludethat Sonys security is not all that it might be.

Yep, it now affects PC gamers who have subscribed to any of the SOE services (though from the looks of things only those who subscribed pre-2007) as well as those affected on PS3.

The financial data was outdated but not the rest of the information was not as I understand.

To those (not you) screaming overraction, sure it is no big deal for a persons full name, email, telephone numbers, address and mothers maiden name and god knows what else to be floating about in cyberspace, sure what could anybody possibly do with that information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

marco_polo wrote: »
    Aside from the fact that it happened to two seperate sony networks, since groups of people (with a very good knowledge of computers) do not routinely walk off with potentially up to 100m users personal details from other online provideds, is reason enough to concludethat Sonys security is not all that it might be.

Weren't the PS3 details available as plaintext, no hash encryption or anything, once the initial system encryption was overcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Weren't the PS3 details available as plaintext, no hash encryption or anything, once the initial system encryption was overcome?

no.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

When they sort this out SOE will probably be the safest place in the world for a while to store credit card information.

Just like a bank ATM that was discovered to have a skimming device in it is probably the safest ATM to use.

Sony will fix this and anyone raging over the downtime etc. will get back to playing and not caring and normal life will resume. Sony were found installing rootkits in PCs a couple of years ago from music CDs which left a major security hole in Windows and nobody cared about that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Only passwords would be every be hashed, which they were according to Sony. And well hashed passwords should be all but useless to any hacker. Anything else stored in the database would up for grabs if you manages to gain access to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    "Sony will never recover from this" my arse.
    It takes more than this to take down a global conglomerate.

This is bigger than the gaming industry. This is an organised and well executed hack. They only pciekd Sony because Sony p*ssed them off. What happens when Ticketmaster/Amazon/Paypal p*ss them off.. bye bye more then 77million personal details, credit card details...

This is just the tip of the berg if they really wanted to shatter confidence they woudl either 1) Use the details or 2) Hit a bigger more middle-friendly market, since the fact that well more than 77million peopel use security sites through online banking and Paypal etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Sony are now on my avoid list along with Creative for their complete disregard for their customers. Not one more cent will they ever get from me
    Ohhhhhh yeeahhh.... I remember those guys. And guess who I havent seen with a single product on a retail shelf in quite a few years...you should check out their stock history, especially 2005:

http://www.google.com/finance?q=PINK:CREAF

On March 22, 2005, The Inquirer reported that Creative Labs had agreed to settle in a class action lawsuit that was filed because of the way its Audigy and Extigy soundcards were marketed. Creative has offered customers who purchased the cards up to a $62.50 reduction on the cost of their next purchase with Creative, while the lawyers involved in filing the dispute against Creative will receive payment of approximately $470,000.[9]

In 2007, Creative voluntarily delisted itself from NASDAQ, which had the symbol of CREAF.[10] Its stocks are now solely on the Singapore Exchange (SGX-ST). In early 2008, Creative Labs' technical support center, located in Stillwater, Oklahoma, laid off several technical support staff, furthering ongoing concerns surrounding Creative's financial situation.

The company has basically been in declining revenue ever since.

This is bigger than the gaming industry. This is an organised and well executed hack. They only pciekd Sony because Sony p*ssed them off. What happens when Ticketmaster/Amazon/Paypal p*ss them off.. bye bye more then 77million personal details, credit card details...

This is just the tip of the berg if they really wanted to shatter confidence they woudl either 1) Use the details or 2) Hit a bigger more middle-friendly market, since the fact that well more than 77million peopel use security sites through online banking and Paypal etc etc

Do you honestly believe that the network defenses of Ticketmaster/Amazon/Paypal are not being probed by hackers 24/7? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, so it's fairly bad that this happened, but it happened. I'm sure the same people could do the exact same to XBL if they wanted, but Sony done something to them and this is a big FU to them. Won't stop me using PSN or my Debit Card online (CC's are evil!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

This is nothing to do with Anon and didn't happen cause they pissed them off. This is more likely a group that spotted a possible way in and used it. Doesn't matter what company it was, a hole was found.
    Ok, so it's fairly bad that this happened, but it happened. I'm sure the same people could do the exact same to XBL if they wanted, but Sony done something to them and this is a big FU to them.
    You make it sound like these groups are roaming the internet doing as they please, thats bull. If they could hack anything they wanted they would, theres millions to be made from breaking into any of the huge systems and they sure as hell would do it in an instant if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think cork red fm had some facts wrong this morning... They said that hackers got 25milion cc details... Which is not very believable.

It will be a good hit at ps3, but it will hardly kill it... I really hope it wount effect much Sony as if Microsoft will feel monopoly then all gamers will be ****ed....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I think cork red fm had some facts wrong this morning... They said that hackers got 25milion cc details... Which is not very believable.

It will be a good hit at ps3, but it will hardly kill it... I really hope it wount effect much Sony as if Microsoft will feel monopoly then all gamers will be ****ed....

I think the 25 million is the number of SOE accounts. As far as I know, this is completely seperate to the PS3 intrusion. And as others have said, this is not related to anon or Sony pissing people off, it's solely about Sony having bad security and people making money off that. I'd assume/hope that Microsoft spend some of my live fees on network security, which just makes it seem a better deal. I had my credit card details on PS3 and I've still not received one personal communication from Sony, not an e-mail, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

mcgovern wrote: »
    I think the 25 million is the number of SOE accounts. As far as I know, this is completely seperate to the PS3 intrusion. And as others have said, this is not related to anon or Sony pissing people off, it's solely about Sony having bad security and people making money off that. I'd assume/hope that Microsoft spend some of my live fees on network security, which just makes it seem a better deal. I had my credit card details on PS3 and I've still not received one personal communication from Sony, not an e-mail, nothing.

I don't have cc on psn and they sent me a message ages ago...

I just hope sony will recover as soon as possible from this.... I don't want to see NGp delayed :(

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    This is nothing to do with Anon and didn't happen cause they pissed them off. This is more likely a group that spotted a possible way in and used it. Doesn't matter what company it was, a hole was found.

eeeh... it was Anon!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

eeeh... it was Anon!

Eh perhaps not. Sony have hired detectives to track down the culprits. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

did they try to turn it on/off again ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

There are other game console manufactures out there you know :rolleyes:

Sony Blames Anon.... could be them, might not. Who knows...

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2011/05/04/anonymous_implicated_in_sony_psn_hack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Anon is a bunch of juvenile keyboard warriors not professional criminals. They organise themselves through 4chan a public board and basically run protest campaigns through social media. Anyone can join at any time simply by participating in their activities. They've had run ins with Sony and are a convenient target and scapegoat.

Blaming Anon for the hack based on a planted file would be the equivalent of blaming the shell to sea campaign for the northern bank robbery because they found a shell to sea sticker on the inside of the vault.

Far more likely to be professional credit card thieves.

sink wrote: »
    Far more likely to be professional credit card thieves.

I highly doubt it was professional credit card thieves. 1 reason: Exposure. They can't survive and earn money if they are exposed or their 'scam' is bunked therefore limiting their potential returns and leaving a trail back to themselves in the inevitable long-run.

This is far likely to be a corporate attack. More a direct statement, a message of sorts to large commercial and Conglomerates that their are professional hackers and groups of organized individuals who are associated with high-profile individuals and also do not like what the companies are doign with regards customers rights of purchase and rights of protection hence why they chose this form of attack.

Advertisement