Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LEFT HAND , RIGHT HAND STOCK ? I NEED ADVICE!

• 02-05-2011 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all, im thinking of changing my gun, tempted for 682 gold e, im left handed shooter, im told that as long as the gun has a centre bead it wont make any difference whether its left or right stock for shooting dtl or skeet as the gun is pre mounted anywhy, has anyone any opinions on this? certainly would give me a lot better chance of picking up a good deal if this is true, but i wouldnt want to make wrong choice :confused:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

If the gun doesn't fit you properly then you will be inconsistent in your shooting, centre bead or no centre bead.
    I'm in your situation - shooting left handed with a right handed gun BUT, I do have an adjustable comb and I have it pushed over to allow my left eye line up on the bead. Lovely gun BTW.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

i can beat that pullandbang:D, right handed gun off left shoulder, master eye is the right eye but i close it(old habit vincent coyne tried to erradicate yrs ago but failed:))
    i am lefty at most things but throw darts with the right!!!:eek:
    i have tried the opening both eyes but i shoot a foot or so to the right of the target, tried off the right shoulder too but the gun feels like a cannon :rolleyes:.... so i stick to one eye off left shoulder with right handed gun... it works though:rolleyes:, well most of the time :D

i had a left handed winchester (my last gun) didnt see any diff to be honest, as i close one eye its easy to line up the centre and top bead,
    which i asume is the main thing,

here is something else too, if i open both eyes be it left or right shoulder, all i see is down the side of the barrells. what does that mean?? doesnt look right anyway:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭mosulli4

Varadero,

I am a left-hander myself, and I shoot a true left-handed gun. Not only does it fit me better, recoil is more manageable, as a right handed gun will direct recoil into your shoulder and collar bone, in the direction the stock is bent.

I shot right handed shotguns for many years, and would never go back!

They are harder to find alright, no doubt about it.

Happy Hunting

Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

If you can pick up a cheaper right hander buy it and get it bent to suit this can be done with any stock and will give you a better choice of guns to look at.
    If you need details of someone who can bend the stock for you let me know and I'll send you his number.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Of course you could buy the gun then splash out another €350 and get a stock custom made for your self.....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pat-Sludds-Gunstocks/187191104117

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭varadero

Im right handed, but lost right eye 19years ago, obviously have to shoot of left, bought lanber 8 years ago, only back shooting about 9 months ago, doing not too bad, so i appreciate advice, lanber is right hand stock with no centre bead, so im open to suggestion and advice , thanks all ps keep it coming

varadero wrote: »
    Im right handed, but lost right eye 19years ago, obviously have to shoot of left, bought lanber 8 years ago, only back shooting about 9 months ago, doing not too bad, so i appreciate advice, lanber is right hand stock with no centre bead, so im open to suggestion and advice , thanks all ps keep it coming

it prob wouldnt be a bad idea to get a centre bead fitted? just to see if it improves your results? might give you an idea of what to do next? maybe? just an idea:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭varadero

bayliner wrote: »
    it prob wouldnt be a bad idea to get a centre bead fitted? just to see if it improves your results? might give you an idea of what to do next? maybe? just an idea:)
    Hi there , i took your advice and had a centre bead fitted, could be the best 20 euro i spent!, will give it a go , best not to rush into things and end up regretting it, get the right gun and no excuses then!;)

varadero wrote: »
    Hi there , i took your advice and had a centre bead fitted, could be the best 20 euro i spent!, will give it a go , best not to rush into things and end up regretting it, get the right gun and no excuses then!;)
    good man:), small steps i think is the way to go, get used to that and see if it works, you can change the gun further down the road if it appeals to you,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 retiredshooter

Would you wear a left shoe on your right foot, or a right shoe on your left foot?
    No?
    Then why would you use a right handed stock when your a left handed shooter?

Would you wear a pair of shoes that were too large/small for you....even though they lined up with your ankles?
    No?
    Go and buy a stock that fits (made to fit is better), and you will never regret it.

A stock that fits, hits more targets than one that is wrong for you.
    Trust me I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭SARZY

here is something else too, if i open both eyes be it left or right shoulder, all i see is down the side of the barrells. what does that mean?? doesnt look right anyway:D:rolleyes:

I see the same thing BUT its only because I am looking at the rib. Shift your gaze to an object above the barrels and the barrels are no longer in view.

I have known many lefties who shot very well with right handed stocks but I think they would have been even better with a left handed one.
    An adjustable comb would be a good answer. John Conroy used to convert at one time and did a great job at a reasonable cost.
    Best of luck.

this is goin to sound dumb but can someone just reassure me how you check if the gun is left or right handed? turn gun upside down look down barrells towards stock? if it turns to the right slightly its left handed? remembering its upside down:), i just want to double check it for sure! i was told its right handed but to be honest i never bothered to look at it:D, always just went with wath the gun smith told me, have it 4 yrs now, and delighted with it, just all this chat about stocks has me second guessing myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 retiredshooter

this is goin to sound dumb but can someone just reassure me how you check if the gun is left or right handed? turn gun upside down look down barrells towards stock? if it turns to the right slightly its left handed? remembering its upside down:), i just want to double check it for sure! i was told its right handed but to be honest i never bothered to look at it:D, always just went with wath the gun smith told me, have it 4 yrs now, and delighted with it, just all this chat about stocks has me second guessing myself

If the gun caste is to the right, then it is a right handed gun stock.
    The caste should turn the stock (outwards) to fit into the pocket or your shoulder, and out towards you arm, not your chest.

If the gun caste is to the right, then it is a right handed gun stock.
    The caste should turn the stock (outwards) to fit into the pocket or your shoulder, and out towards you arm, not your chest.
    its right-handed so:), when upside down turns to the right(looking from the muzzle down to the stock)

Advertisement