Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks VS real thing

• 02-05-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

How accurate are the prees supposed to actually be compared to the real exam? as in are they a good indication of what will come up? For example if i did every history question from the pree paper...surely at least 1 or 2 of them will come up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Gav77 wrote: »
    How accurate are the prees supposed to actually be compared to the real exam? as in are they a good indication of what will come up? For example if i did every history question from the pree paper...surely at least 1 or 2 of them will come up?

The mock companys have nothing to do with the SEC, they're purely in it to make money, having said that a question on the mock could come up in the leaving by coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Personally I've never really found mocks to be very accurate.. but that's just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

the mocks are aload of crap, unless there made out by your teacher:D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

yeah but arent they supposed to be a prediction of the real paper? i know people can be well off but 1 of my teachers reckons the biology paper looks fairly similar to what shes expecting the real paper to be like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

yeah but arent they supposed to be a prediction of the real paper? i know people can be well off but 1 of my teachers reckons the biology paper looks fairly similar to what shes expecting the real paper to be like

There's a few different companies though, which biology paper did you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well they well match her prediction but that could just be a fluke. I used to write mock papers and would for example have the mock for Jan-March 2012 written in summer 2011. (I'm no longer writing mocks).

It backfired badly one year where I had the mock paper written in June 07 for the following academic year and also before that years LC 07 had taken place. Anyway, the year isn't really relevent.

As it happened about 50% of what I put on the mock for the 08 school year came up on the LC for 2007 and the mock company got back to me and asked me to rewrite the paper because it turned out so similar to that years LC and therefore was not considered suitable for the following year as those topics were unlikely to come up the next year.

So bottom line, if something comes up on a mock and then appears on the real thing, it's a fluke. Also as was also said above, the mock companies have nothing to do with the SEC, they are just in it to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Gav77

_meehan_ wrote: »
    There's a few different companies though, which biology paper did you have?
    Hey sorry for late reply, couldnt find mjy paper 1st and then forgot about this thread! Dont know what company it was if thats what your asking me..doesnt say it on the paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Hey sorry for late reply, couldnt find mjy paper 1st and then forgot about this thread! Dont know what company it was if thats what your asking me..doesnt say it on the paper

Don't worry about it!:p Different questions were asked in papers by different companies that's all, so I wouldn't say they're very accurate tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

my teachers reckons the biology paper looks fairly similar to what shes expecting the real paper to be like

What's the first question on that Biology paper? I have both mock papers and I might do the one you're on about the day before the exam.

Advertisement