Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table saw opinions???

• 02-05-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying this table saw; http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ie/hs.xsl/index_9584.htm

What do you DIY guru's think of this product? Would it be a decent table saw? There are a few in argos as well but i don't think they have as many features. I presume the parkside saw comes with TCT blades? It just says steel blades but i presume they are tct blades.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Would also be interested in any feedback also. Maybe someone bought these in the past and could share their experiences...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i have had one from there in the past and it fell apart on the site after a week.

Then I bought a ryobi . That burned out and fell apart.

Now I rent one if I need one. A decent one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Thinking of buying this table saw; http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ie/hs.xsl/index_9584.htm

What do you DIY guru's think of this product? Would it be a decent table saw? There are a few in argos as well but i don't think they have as many features. I presume the parkside saw comes with TCT blades? It just says steel blades but i presume they are tct blades.

Thanks.

Would wait to get feedback from someone who bought one already. The rip fences on some of the cheap table saws are crap and dont clamp right to the table so very hard to get straight cuts.

If you want something decent have a look at the Makita MLT100 if your budget can stretch to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

For the price of it, I'd say it'd be fine.

Tbh, I think the motor is a bit underpowered for the work it has the potential to do.

In any case, you'd probably be better off buying a good blade. Ideally you'd want them with more than 48 teeth to have a good smooth cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Tks. for the feedback so far. TBH, I would only be using for DIY type work - am thinking of laying a new wooden floor in kitchen area and am looking for something suitable.

• Advertisement

coxy123 wrote: »
    Tks. for the feedback so far. TBH, I would only be using for DIY type work - am thinking of laying a new wooden floor in kitchen area and am looking for something suitable.

If its laminate floor in any way it'll destroy the blade, so make sure you use a cheap one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I was looking at this too.

I have a question for the DIY heads. Would it be better to spend the €130 on a good hand held circular saw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Avoid like the plague. Parts would be hard to obtain for any power tools Aldi or Lidl stock. I'd save up for something more reliable that you'll always have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I was looking at this too.

I have a question for the DIY heads. Would it be better to spend the €130 on a good hand held circular saw?

In a word yes.

You can get a decent Hitachi 7" for that price.

That table saw is an absolute pile of dirt, and i wouldnt let it darken my door.

A decent tct blade will set you back at minimum 50 quid, cheap ones dont last.

Im no snob and ive been known to buy cheap tools for certain jobs - i once bought a 40 quid 1200w drill in argos to use as a mixing paddle for skim and adhesive - rather than used a decent drill in case i burn out the motor

To its credit it stillworks after all the abuse, but it was and is a crap drill - even from new, the chuck never spun dead centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

snyper wrote: »
    In a word yes.

You can get a decent Hitachi 7" for that price.

That table saw is an absolute pile of dirt, and i wouldnt let it darken my door.

What about long cuts - say the full length of an 8 ft sheet? Would it still be better than the table saw?

Would this be what you're talking about?

• Advertisement

The main difference between a circular saw and a table saw, is that its easier to make a dead straight cut with a table saw than a circular saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What about long cuts - say the full length of an 8 ft sheet? Would it still be better than the table saw?

Would this be what you're talking about?

No, as fingers McGee said, a table say is easier to rip sheets, but with that pile of muck the OP was looking at i wouldnt fancy putting an 8 x 4 up on it.

That saw you are loking at is pretty good, if you could afford it id buy the 9" version for a few more euro

Advertisement