Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couple of questions relating to full license test

• 03-05-2011 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I've got my provisional before the mandatory lessons came in and I'm hoping to do my full licence test, just a couple of questions first.
    1. During the test should I filter through traffic or is it best to just stick behind cars?
    2. I'm considering doing a couple of lessons before I take the test can anybody recommend a particular school or individual in Cork?

Also, a question that is unrelated to the test, am I required to carry my insurance details with me when on a bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

No, don't filter, drive pretty much as if the bike needs as much room as a cage. Mirror checks every ten seconds even when stopped, leave a bike length between you and the vehicle in front when stopped. Do a search, there are a couple of threads on this already. Also you should at the very least get a pre test or you will probably fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Do bikers need to carry their insurance certificate?

Obviously we need to carry tax and a licence but my insurance company (Quinn) just gave me an A4 sheet of paper, I carry it with me on the inside pocket of my jacket but I'm unsure of the regulations with regards to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

daveyjoe wrote: »
    Do bikers need to carry their insurance certificate?

Obviously we need to carry tax and a licence but my insurance company (Quinn) just gave me an A4 sheet of paper, I carry it with me on the inside pocket of my jacket but I'm unsure of the regulations with regards to this.

Im almost certain there is absolutely no need to carry this, or a copy of this, with you at all times. You may be asked to produce it at a garda station though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Don't filter.

No need to carry the insurance cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you have to ask that question I'd highly recommend getting some lessons. Can't help with a school in Cork.

There is no requirement for any motorist to carry their insurance cert. I carry mine so I don't need to visit a cop shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you have to ask that question I'd highly recommend getting some lessons.

Since most bikers do filter and it is perfectly legal to do so then I would have thought it would be a display of competency to show that you do it safely. I take you point though, if I do a few lessons then I wouldn't have these questions.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    There is no requirement for any motorist to carry their insurance cert. I carry mine so I don't need to visit a cop shop.

Is it not a requirement for cage drivers to display their insurance disk? Bit surprising that there isn't a similar requirement for bikes. Thanks for your answer though, it appears you are correct.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Since most bikers do filter and it is perfectly legal to do so then I would have thought it would be a display of competency to show that you do it safely. I take you point though, if I do a few lessons then I wouldn't have these questions.

Is it not a requirement for cage drivers to display their insurance disk? Bit surprising that there isn't a similar requirement for bikes. Thanks for your answer though, it appears you are correct.

Bike policies don't come with certs anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

there is no harm in carrying it or a copy for your own peace of mind, since i go to work mostly in my cage i usually leave the licence in it, i would probably save myself some hassle if i carried a copy with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The driving test isn't real life, as I said a lesson will teach you how to pass it.

Cars have to display an insurance disc, but you'll still be asked to produce your cert in 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

What's the take on aftermarket cans when doing the test?
    I've been thinking on getting a replacement for my stock-exhaust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

dMaN24 wrote: »
    What's the take on aftermarket cans when doing the test?
    I've been thinking on getting a replacement for my stock-exhaust.

its grand, I done mine on an sv650 with a pipe that would blow ur head off and it was fine... a lot of testers are bikers and know loud cans save lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

If I had filtered when doing my test, I would have lost the tester as he was in a car! so will yours most probably be, so figure it out for yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Bike policies don't come with certs anymore.

They should..

i always insist on it. the email copy isnt good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

pa990 wrote: »
    They should..

i always insist on it. the email copy isnt good enough

They used to. I asked them why they stopped at my last renewal and the excuse I was given was that people were using them in other modes of transport. i.e. either showing a car insurance cert for their bike or vice versa - I don't know any more specifics, but it sounds a bit like BS, because surely anybody asking for the document would read what was written on it.

I also explained the convenience of having the insurance disc with me in the licence, and the nice lady said that you don't need it, you are asked to show it in 10 days and if you are going abroad the disc is worthless as you need the full a4 paper sheet with all the details on it. Makes sense I suppose, and I've never been asked for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

maybe theres some confusion.

The is a legal requirement to get an Insurance Cert (but you don't need to carry it)

There is no requirement for an Insurance Disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 petey3005

Declan at biketraining.ie, 0877450646. I got 1 lesson off him 2 hours b4 my test and i passed, i was well chuffed and owe it to him.He would meet ya any where in Cork 2.

Advertisement