Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New hardware for turning an old PC into Server

Options
  • 03-05-2011 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

So got an old PC and I want to replace most of the current hardware and turn it into a server.

I am looking for hardware that will deal well with being on 24/7 for some time to come, be quiet, low power and preferably work well with Linux.

Looking to replace:
    • PSU
    • Motherboard
    • CPU
    • RAM
    • Possibly GFX if ones I have lying around house dont work with new MB

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Not too sure how much you want to spend, but something like this maybe:

€50.65 - Athlon II X2 245e
    €53.21 - MSI 880GM-E41
    €32.81 - 4GB Crucial RAM
    €39.83 - Super Flower Amazon 450W
    €30.00 - Shipping

€206.50 total.

Went for onboard graphics as thats not exactly important for a server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I like the sound of the MB, seems to be the kind of thing I am looking for. Was looking at reviews of it though and seems to have issues with the BIOS and some other small things. It could still work as it looks like good stuff but possibly something slightly better

Budget wise, I wont want to spend €1000 on the system. Reality is that seeing as its a server I wont be using for much else than storage and automated backups and possibly running the odd game server the cheaper the better within reason. I want the hardware to last me some time, like 3-5 years (3 would be a minimum). But max I would like to spend over all is probably around the €5-600 mark

If you are willing to spend a bit more:
    €103.01 - i3-2100T
    €79.20 - MSI PH67S-C43
    €87.22 - Club 3D Radeon HD 6670
    Same RAM and PSU

Comes to €372.07 after shipping. This would have a lot better performance while still having low power consumption. Anything faster than that and you will need to sacrifice the low power part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

deconduo wrote: »
    If you are willing to spend a bit more:
    €103.01 - i3-2100T
    €79.20 - MSI PH67S-C43
    €87.22 - Club 3D Radeon HD 6670
    Same RAM and PSU

Comes to €372.07 after shipping. This would have a lot better performance while still having low power consumption. Anything faster than that and you will need to sacrifice the low power part.
    why get a discreet GPU? as a storage server, your not going to be doing any GPU work at all.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    why get a discreet GPU? as a storage server, your not going to be doing any GPU work at all.

He said he wanted it to be able to run the odd game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

deconduo wrote: »
    He said he wanted it to be able to run the odd game.
    "game server".

ive been out of that loop for a long time, but a game server doesnt need any GPU power does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    "game server".

ive been out of that loop for a long time, but a game server doesnt need any GPU power does it?

Nope, a game server is fine with onboard

Advertisement