Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic games you are ashamed you never played

• 03-05-2011 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I'm going to have to go with Final Fantasy VII here.. I have to admit though, I seriously doubt I'd like it. I'm very picky on RPG titles.

Haven't played metroid other M either being a self-proclaimed metroid fan... but from what I hear its far from being a classic.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Probably the Bioware RPGs and Planescape Torment. Also started but never finished Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts and Deus Ex. Dragon Quest pre-DQ 8 I really need to play as well. Also Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne needs more love from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I wouldn't say I'm ashamed that I never played a particular game. Growing up I didn't have access to all platforms, the biggest being the SNES. I occassionally got to rent the console from videoshops and the like and so only got to play a handful of games. What I have never played at all would be Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger and most of the Castlevania & MegaMan games.

Shame however could apply to my playtrough of Zelda: Link to the Past. I played that game when I borrowed a SNES console from a friend but I stopped for whatever reason in Turtle Rock and left Link there since 1998. So close...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Mario world 2.

Which is strange as mario world on the SNES is my fav game of all time...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katharinewheel

Any of the Zelda games. Not for any particular reason, I just never managed to get around to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Never played a Zelda or Metroid game beyond 10 minutes, and didn't enjoy what i did play. But in retrospect, I didn't give either a chance. Never played Chrono Trigger, nor any Final Fantasy but VII.
    Never played Megaman, or Kirby, or Goldeneye... that's all I can think of for now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Shame on me but Shenmue:( I didn't have a Dreamcast so I missed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Super Castlevania, Secret of Mana 2 fan translation, Earth bound and Super Mario RPG. I really should try it out on virtual console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Portal, I had The Orange Box for ages and played lots and lots of Half Life but never even booted up the menu of Portal...
    And now, the sequel is out and I feel all cold and isolated :(

And Mr Bottlehead, go and get Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii and Super Metroid for the Snes or VC on the Wii and let the fun begin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Never played a Zelda or Metroid game beyond 10 minutes, and didn't enjoy what i did play. But in retrospect, I didn't give either a chance. Never played Chrono Trigger, nor any Final Fantasy but VII.
    Never played Megaman, or Kirby, or Goldeneye... that's all I can think of for now!

Make sure you play through Zelda:LTTP, Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger. They're by far some of the best games ever made and you owe it to yourself to finish them ;) Plus they're all on the Snes! What a machine that was.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Portal, I had The Orange Box for ages and played lots and lots of Half Life but never even booted up the menu of Portal...

Same! :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Never played Chrono Trigger or Metroid myself. there on my list though! Zelda LTTP is a must play in fairness. even now its a great game to play through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

The first one is quite short, an evening or two and you'll be on the other end of it... eating cake...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh god, I forgot Shenmue! There's a few DC ones I've not played like Jet Set Radio.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Probably the Bioware RPGs and Planescape Torment. Also started but never finished Beyond Good and Evil, Psychonauts and Deus Ex. Dragon Quest pre-DQ 8 I really need to play as well. Also Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne needs more love from me.
    Planescape Torment is up on GOG.com , well worth a play through.
    I've always regretted not playing the Buck Rogers RPG's especially "countdown to doomsday" on the Meg .My mates raved about it back in the day , I never wanted to give it a shot as I associated it with the ropey 80's TV show...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The first one is quite short, an evening or two and you'll be on the other end of it... eating cake...

Thats amazing, I love cake, gluten free cake, but cake none the less!

Planescape Torment is up on GOG.com , well worth a play through.

I own all the RPGs from GoG. However I've only about 2 hours a night to devote to games and these RPGs require big time investments so can't play them until I get the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Any major PC RPG - there's a strong likelihood I haven't played it! Planescape, Fallout etc... They're on GoG, but I'm one of those lame Mac users. Curses!

I actually have a pretty awful track record when it comes to games - although I've been gaming since a wee lad, a lot of my childhood is populated with Disney titles (many of which are fantastic, though). Gameboy introduced me to Zelda, and only when it came to Gamecube did I start tracking down ye olde classics and "serious" gaming. Have worked my way through a lot of the classics over the years, but many a gap that needs filling! Primary titles on the list to play include Earthbound, early DQ and FF games (which are unfortunately often plagued by excess grinding!) and a handful of others.

DQ games aren't too grindy, I think from 4 onwards there should be none involved and all the side quests mean you do it passively.

As for Final Fantasy from FF4 onwards if you end up doing any grinding you should probably give up on videogames because you're ****.

Earthbound as well doesn't involve any sort of grinding.

So no excuses!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Earthbound as well doesn't involve any sort of grinding.

Sorry, wasn't lumping Earthbound in there. But even FF6 was too chock full of random battles for me at times!
    So no excuses!

Time? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Oh god, I forgot Shenmue! There's a few DC ones I've not played like Jet Set Radio.
    Probably my 2 favourite DC games...!

The soundtrack to JSR is forever in my mp3, its my favourite game music easily...!

On my to-do list is Doom, Secret of Mana, and most Mega Drive and Saturn games....

Sorry, wasn't lumping Earthbound in there. But even FF6 was too chock full of random battles for me at times!

I don't class grinding as random battles myself. Grinding is walking back and forth through the same area getting into random battles.

Come to think of it DQ games are a bit grindy towards the end. However the easy way to grind is to find metal slimes. It's an adventure in itself though to find the ****ers and then to do the side quests to get the equipment needed to actually do damage to them so it doesn't really feel like grinding :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

I've never played any of the Metal Gear Solid series,World of Warcraft or come to think of it most of the exclusive PS1 top hits.
    They all passed me by as I went the Dreamcast/xbox route at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Super Metroid, every Castlevania game, Streets Of Rage series. Could name a few more but I'm super tired...

Bottom line is, while everyone else was playing the mainstream titles during my post-C64 SNES era, I was busy hunting down bizarre Japanese bingo and horse racing simulators with a few obscure anime tie-in 's (as well as main stream stuff; Doreamon, Ranma 1/2, Bastard!!!, Sonic Blastman etc).

Wonderful days! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I've never played any of the Metal Gear Solid series,World of Warcraft or come to think of it most of the exclusive PS1 top hits.
    They all passed me by as I went the Dreamcast/xbox route at the time
    World of Warcraft is fun , bit a huuuuuuge timesink that kills most of your other gaming..
    (I play a fair bit myself but I've cut down a lot in the last few months)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

World of Warcraft is fun , bit a huuuuuuge timesink that kills most of your other gaming..
    (I play a fair bit myself but I've cut down a lot in the last few months)

I have never played any MMORPG ever for fear of what might happen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I was hooked on an online based game called ogame twice for about a year each time. It was a killer, it was realtime and still played when you where offline. dunno if anyone every heard of it but it was really really addictive. it was such a relief when i finally quit out of it.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Streets Of Rage series

You lucky fecker!
    You never played them... your gaming consciousness isn't scarred by the gameplay free wasteland that is the SoR series. ;)

You lucky fecker!

Yep, never appealed to me. I preferred to play bizarre Japanese oddities on the SNES.

Heck if there was a 'watch a Japanese businessman filling in hours of tedious paperwork' simulator set in a capsule hotel while a piece of toast plays the saxophone in the background, you'd find me playing it. :o

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Heck if there was a 'watch a Japanese businessman filling in hours of tedious paperwork' simulator set in a capsule hotel while a piece of toast plays the saxophone in the background, you'd find me playing it. :o

I think I played that game, and if I didn't I really want to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Joust.. I even have the arcade machine marquee hanging on my wall :(

• Advertisement

I think I played that game, and if I didn't I really want to :)

Alas I made that game up. Although there is a cool game called Karoshi Suicide 2... which is fun.

http://www.addictinggames.com/karoshisuicide2.html

Joust, just one of the brilliant output from Williams back in the day.
    Joust, Defender, Robotron, Stargate, even a bit of Sinistar, fantastic stuff still.

Advertisement