Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI for Balbriggan

Options
  • 03-05-2011 6:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

The Grapevine, told me that Aldi is going into where TESCOs was.Any idea if its true.Sometimes Im just short ,milk, eggs, etc and HATE having to go through the town to Super Valu or worse, get the tent, packed lunch , sat nav and make the trip to Tesco.
    Cathy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

It's not the first time I've heard this rumour but I'd be very surprised if it were true. ALDI already have planning permission for a store at the top of Clonard hill, below the Millfield Shopping Centre. It was granted 2 years ago and if I remember rightly they chose not to go ahead with construction because of the planning rates.

ALDI have criteria that they apply to their new stores:
    We’re open to offers

Corporate Property
    We have an ambitious investment and development programme. And that means we’re always looking for sites with a catchment population in excess of 10,000 and ideally situated on principal roads with main road frontage.

We prefer to
    Purchase freehold, Green or Brown field, town centre or edge of centre sites suitable for development (min 0.8 acres).

But we are interested in:
    • Leasing new or existing space on Retail Parks
    • Purchase or lease space within District Centres
    • Existing retail premises
    We guarantee to get back with an answer within 7 days if you send us:
    • Location plan
    • Site boundary plan
    • A brief description of the site
    We always promise a simple, efficient and professional approach to business – plus, we have a proven ability to complete acquisitions at competitive prices. You’ll also receive an attractive commission package paid, 50% on exchange, 50% on completion.
    We look forward to hearing from you.

The reason for this is to keep costs down they manufacture all store fit outs to the same specification. It can be cheaper for them to construct a new unit on an empty site than have to retro-fit an existing store.

I wouldn't get your hopes up at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Another criteria they and Lidl appear to have is location near to Tesco or Dunnes supermarkets. Drive outside the Dublin Met area and you know a Tesco is near when you spot Lidl or Aldi store. The idea behind it is to capture the two shop stop customer who will gravitate from Tesco/Dunnes towards them to do their primary shop and the customer will just top up with specials or any items they can't find in the discounter stores at Tesco/Dunnes around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Luttrell1975

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Another criteria they and Lidl appear to have is location near to Tesco or Dunnes supermarkets. Drive outside the Dublin Met area and you know a Tesco is near when you spot Lidl or Aldi store. The idea behind it is to capture the two shop stop customer who will gravitate from Tesco/Dunnes towards them to do their primary shop and the customer will just top up with specials or any items they can't find in the discounter stores at Tesco/Dunnes around the corner.

Agree with that obs up to a point. Reckon a lot more people are using Aldi Lidl these days. Look at the ques when you go in. Carparks more full than when it started 10 years ago. I notice they locate near each other more than near Tesco Dunnes etc. example Finglas and Coolock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Agree with that obs up to a point. Reckon a lot more people are using Aldi Lidl these days. Look at the ques when you go in. Carparks more full than when it started 10 years ago. I notice they locate near each other more than near Tesco Dunnes etc. example Finglas and Coolock.

Tesco Edenderry has a Lidl right next to it. Tesco Drogheda Extra has a Lidl around the corner and an Aldi behind it. Tesco in the old shopping centre in Dundalk has a Lidl around the corner. Tesco Celbridge and Greystones has a Lidl/Aldi(can't remember) has a store 2 mins drive away. Tesco Wicklow town has a Lidl a minute away. Tesco Ashourne has a Aldi on the main rd around the corner and a Lidl to the back of the shopping complex. Ashbourne actually should be the most competitive place to supermarket shop with a large Dunnes and SuperValu within easy reach too.

Even do Aldi was here first Lidl were more aggressive with store openings. They seem to target Tesco more because their market leaders and for all the flash of their highend range Tesco are a discount supermarket at the end of the day. Dunnes seem to have had more success moving up market.

Advertisement