Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for the mods

Options
  • 03-05-2011 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭

I intended to post this in the helpdesk forum under Sys, but that seems to have disappeared for me.

Anyway... Why is there a distinction and separate forums for Long Term Illnesses and Disabilities? I can understand why some of the threads would be in here and not in the disbility forum, that there are illness and medical conditions that take a long time to fix or cure. But a lot of the threads here (especially the mental health threads) aren't simply long term illnesses or even chronic illnesses, they're lifelong disabilities that a person will always have to deal with.

People are very quick to recognise physical disabilities, and to cater to them, and putting some of the things in here rather than in the disability forum seems to degrade the problem from a permanent problem to something that's just a bit of sickness that can be gotten over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Buceph wrote: »
    Anyway... Why is there a distinction and separate forums for Long Term Illnesses and Disabilities?.

i dont post in or read the "accessibility, mobility & disability" forum but my understanding of it is that it is aimed towards those with mobility issues, like those in wheelchairs, questions around wheelchair access, disabled parking permits etc, rather than anything else.
    I can understand why some of the threads would be in here and not in the disbility forum, that there are illness and medical conditions that take a long time to fix or cure. But a lot of the threads here (especially the mental health threads) aren't simply long term illnesses or even chronic illnesses, they're lifelong disabilities that a person will always have to deal with.

People are very quick to recognise physical disabilities, and to cater to them, and putting some of the things in here rather than in the disability forum seems to degrade the problem from a permanent problem to something that's just a bit of sickness that can be gotten over.

not too sure what your point is here. nobody is dismissing or degrading any illness by posting about it in LTI. the length of some threads, eg the depression/anxiety one and the diabetes one(s), goes to show how significant an impact they have on peoples lives. nobody is saying that these illnesses arent disabilities. but the accessibility/disability forum is intended for the "disabled driver" sense fo the word rather than just any chronic illness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

As sam34 said, I would understand the differences to be along the lines of physical mobility issues. But as you say there is probably some cross over in things that may be appropriate in either forum.
    I intended to post this in the helpdesk forum under Sys, but that seems to have disappeared for me.
    Helpdesk should still be there, but I think there were some changes made to the menus a little while ago which temporarily lost a few things from the list due to the way it was generated. Here is a direct link for you anyway:
    Helpdesk

Advertisement