Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carbon online (Focus Cayo 105) Vs. Alu in LBS(Felt Z85) - 1100e

• 03-05-2011 9:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

I have an aluminium frame+fork road bike with Shimano Sora components at the moment and I'm looking to trade up.

I've been looking around for a while and I've found 2 bikes which I believe are good value, the Focus Cayo 105 Ltd 2011 and the Felt Z85 2011.
    Both have Shimano 105 front/rear derailleur, shifters and chain so from what I can tell they have similar spec components (anything major I'm missing here?)
    The biggest difference is that the Focus has a carbon frame and the Felt is aluminium frame with a carbon fork.

The Felt is 1199 in my lbs but I would get it for 1100e.
    The Focus comes in about 1107 with Wiggle during the 15% off promotion and with delivery applied.

So, from what I can see it looks like the Focus should be the winner given the carbon frame and that both bikes are about the same price?

I was hoping to buy locally and I do expect to pay a little more in my lbs than online, but this seems to me like quite a bit of difference?
    The cheapest carbon frame with 105 components in my lbs is a cube for about 1700e.

So, what do you guys think? am I right in thinking that the Focus is a lot better value for money?
    What do you guys do when faced with this kind of decision (online vs lbs), I'm sure it must be common enough at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

If you know your size I'd buy online as Focus, generally, gets good reviews so you could buy it with confidence. The great advantage with buying with your LBS is the touchy feely aspect as well as aftersales service and building up a rapport with them for future discounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Im getting the focus myself. They get great reviews. I also dont like the sloping top tube on the z series. I rode a Z5 recently and I preferred the cayo.
    The cayo comes with a bb30 bottom bracket, and unless im mistaken the felt probably has Microsoft and not 105 shifters.

Focus all the way imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

funkyjebus wrote: »
    The cayo comes with a bb30 bottom bracket, and unless im mistaken the felt probably has Microsoft and not 105 shifters.

Focus all the way imo.

Nope.. I am sure they are nVidia :P
    Shifter/STi: Shimano 105 STI, 20-speed

Take a look at PlanetX as well, the SL Pro with Sram Rival at 1230. You can get it "locally" from the planetx ireland in Athlone too. I 'd prefer it over the Cayo with 105.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

funkyjebus wrote: »

The F85 has Microshift (950e) the Z85 has 105 shifters.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Also, Wiggle bikes come pre built, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

TheTubes wrote: »
    Also, Wiggle bikes come pre built, right?

Yes, stick on the handlebars and pedals and away you go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

FWIW I bought a Felt Z6 recently and wasn't a fan of the microshift shifters, which I promptly swapped out for some Ultegras.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Anyone say Canyon?:p ... Actually I bought a focus off Wiggle. Bike is great but those wheels are complete garbage. Loud and generally awful. Replaced with aksiums, feels like riding on butter in comparison.

Regardless I'd say the focus because it looks better .. just think about new wheels after a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

This Canyon, goldencleric just mentioned them, would be my first choice if I were to go for a Shimano equipped alu bike. I haven't seen any other Carbon out there that I'd have over the aforementioned PX for around its price point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Nope.. I am sure they are nVidia :P

Take a look at PlanetX as well, the SL Pro with Sram Rival at 1230. You can get it "locally" from the planetx ireland in Athlone too. I 'd prefer it over the Cayo with 105.

Right, thats the last time my phones autocorrect makes a fool of me, on boards no less!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

I got last year's Cayo team replica and it's great and I knew my correct size. It came with SRAM force which makes the shimano new Ultegra on a bike I rented in Tenerife feel rubbish. You should definitely consider a bike with SRAM. (cue slanging match)

• Advertisement
Advertisement