Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking,, NOT SURE WHAT IM DOING NEED HELP

Options
  • 03-05-2011 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

List your CPU, MoBo and cooler and we can help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭maxokeeffe

List your CPU, MoBo and cooler and we can help you out.

CPU IS///// I7 990X,
    MOBO ////GIGABYTE G1 ASSASIN
    COOLER,,//// STOCK FAN

THANKS

maxokeeffe wrote: »
    CPU IS///// I7 990X,
    MOBO ////GIGABYTE G1 ASSASIN
    COOLER,,//// STOCK FAN

THANKS

You should be able to just raise the multiplier until it shows signs of instability and then raise the CPU Voltage (sometimes shown as Vcore) a notch and keep repeating this.

No offense, but why on earth do you have a 990X if you don't know the basics? And why with the stock cooler?

You should be able to just raise the multiplier until it shows signs of instability and then raise the CPU Voltage (sometimes shown as Vcore) a notch and keep repeating this.

No offense, but why on earth do you have a 990X if you don't know the basics? And why with the stock cooler?

NONE TAKING MATE,, cant afford a better cooler at present,, thanks for your info,.

so i just repeat this,,,,

NONE TAKING MATE,, cant afford a better cooler at present,, thanks for your info,.

so i just repeat this,,,,

Also, be sure to use IntelBurnTest or Prime95 to test for stability. I find IBT better as when I tested my OC's with that it pushed the temps higher than with Prime95.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What RAM are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

How can you afford a €900+ CPU and not have enough spare to spend €40 on a half decent cooler?

I hope you didn't buy that CPU just for gaming. There are very few reasons which justify spending that much on a CPU.

sink wrote: »
    How can you afford a €900+ CPU and not have enough spare to spend €40 on a half decent cooler?

I hope you didn't buy that CPU just for gaming. There are very few reasons which justify spending that much on a CPU.

no mate use it alot for 3d rendering etc,, im cleared out mate m hence why i cant even afford a cheap cooler,, ha

What RAM are you using?

using 24gig of corsair dom gt @ 2ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

no mate use it alot for 3d rendering etc,, im cleared out mate m hence why i cant even afford a cheap cooler,, ha

Fair enough, 3D rendering would be one of the few reasons that justify spending that much.

It looks like the 990x comes packaged with a pretty decent cooler by intel standards anyway, so maybe buying a better cooler is not necessary. It's rated maximum voltage is 1.375V and it's max temp is 67.9°C, but I would aim to keep a bit below that. You should hit the thermal maximum long before you get near the maximum voltage.

As other posters have said it's an unlocked CPU so basic overclocking should be just a simple case of increasing the multiplier and upping the voltage incrementally. However you can get better overclocks by upping the fsb clock first to find it's stable maximum and then upping multiplier, making sure that core temperatures keep it below 65°C under full stress.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    Fair enough, 3D rendering would be one of the few reasons that justify spending that much.

It looks like the 990x comes packaged with a pretty decent cooler by intel standards anyway, so maybe buying a better cooler is not necessary. It's rated maximum voltage is 1.375V and it's max temp is 67.9°C, but I would aim to keep a bit below that. You should hit the thermal maximum long before you get near the maximum voltage.

As other posters have said it's an unlocked CPU so basic overclocking should be just a simple case of increasing the multiplier and upping the voltage incrementally. However you can get better overclocks by upping the fsb clock first to find it's stable maximum and then upping multiplier, making sure that core temperatures keep it below 65°C under full stress.

hi thanks for all the infomration,, i just upped the muiltiplyer , to get to 4ghz. i didnnt touch anyhting else, voltage , fsb etc,, do you think i should , ,, when at full load ,, all cores stay below 65 c ,, and around , 30,40c , idle,, my room is around 25,26c ,

is this ok,,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

hi thanks for all the infomration,, i just upped the muiltiplyer , to get to 4ghz. i didnnt touch anyhting else, voltage , fsb etc,, do you think i should , ,, when at full load ,, all cores stay below 65 c ,, and around , 30,40c , idle,, my room is around 25,26c ,

is this ok,,
    there's something wrong with you're keyboard Max. it keeps putting ,,,,,, everywhere. they're cheap though so no problem :D

just because its @ 4ghz and booting, doesnt mean its stable. you're going to need to run intel burn test or prime95 for a good 10-12hours straight and make sure there are no errors reported. normally i wouldnt think that much time, but if you're doing heavy rendering and mathematical calculations, you dont want your CPU to report a wrong answer to an equation!

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    there's something wrong with you're keyboard Max. it keeps putting ,,,,,, everywhere. they're cheap though so no problem :D

just because its @ 4ghz and booting, doesnt mean its stable. you're going to need to run intel burn test or prime95 for a good 10-12hours straight and make sure there are no errors reported. normally i wouldnt think that much time, but if you're doing heavy rendering and mathematical calculations, you dont want your CPU to report a wrong answer to an equation!

thanks for that information , what do those temps seem like to you dough. ??
    thank again for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

@maxokeeffe

you sound like a guy who has more money than sense. If you have just built it why are you selling it? Has it been a busy two weeks of 3D rendering :rolleyes:

I have to admit though I am interested in knowing what the story is with this.

deejer wrote: »
    @maxokeeffe

you sound like a guy who has more money than sense. If you have just built it why are you selling it? Has it been a busy two weeks of 3D rendering :rolleyes:

I have to admit though I am interested in knowing what the story is with this.

hi there

glad ur interested,, but what do you wanna know. ALSO I WISH I HAD MORE MONEY THAN SENCE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

hi there

glad ur interested,, but what do you wanna know. ALSO I WISH I HAD MORE MONEY THAN SENCE

Yeah really nice rig but to be honest why are you selling it at more than its value?
    I priced it up on scan.co.uk and the exact same rig cost at 400e less :eek:

game4it70 wrote: »
    Yeah really nice rig but to be honest whay are you selling it at more than its value?
    I priced it up on scan.co.yk and the eact same rig cost at 400e less :eek:

send me everything , with pricing , from scan.. and add in scan surence + postage

thanks for compliment,

God I am not interested in buying it! Would have no use for it........dont even know what 3D rendering is :D

God I am not interested in buying it! Would have no use for it........dont even know what 3D rendering is :D

haha. ah no bother mate.not selling it anyway . selling an alienware dough,

Tell us a bit about it. How much did it cost you? Since your not selling it I think you can tell us :)

not too many systems like this around so would be interesting. Did you put it together yourself? What do you have cooling that card, it is supposed to be very hot.

Just looking through that other thread you had. People dont seem to be giving you an easy time. Think you should stick with your alienware!

• Advertisement

send me everything , with pricing , from scan.. and add in scan surence + postage

thanks for compliment,

Here is a pic to campare prices on scan to the items you had on sale before you withdrew them.This is without shopping around for best prices either.

scans.png

wthdn.png

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you,i'm just letting you know that your prices where to high and nobody will pay more than retail for 2nd hand parts (even though almost new).
    I was willing to make an offer on a couple of items thats why i researched prices and found it to be better value for me to buy online.

Anyway enjoy your rig for however long you have it.

Here is a pic to campare prices on scan to the items you had on sale before you withdrew them.This is without shopping around for best prices either.

scans.png

wthdn.png

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you,i'm just letting you know that your prices where to high and nobody will pay more than retail for 2nd hand parts (even though almost new).
    I was willing to make an offer on a couple of items thats why i researched prices and found it to be better value for me to buy online.

Anyway enjoy your rig for however long you have it.

hi there apreaciate that ,, but your missing number of parts that are in my system ,, for starters ,, 4 vertex 2 ssd, ,, nzxt fan controller, lg blu ray write, corsair pro gold ax 1200 ,, and more,, justa few things ,, haha

also SYSTEM IS NOT FOR SALE,

Tell us a bit about it. How much did it cost you? Since your not selling it I think you can tell us :)

not too many systems like this around so would be interesting. Did you put it together yourself? What do you have cooling that card, it is supposed to be very hot.

Just looking through that other thread you had. People dont seem to be giving you an easy time. Think you should stick with your alienware!

AH LAD I HONESTLY COULDN'T CARE ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE SAY,, ANYONE WHO IS SIMPLY DISSING IS JUST SIMPLY JEALOUS,

CANT F--- AFFORD IT ,

hi there apreaciate that ,, but your missing number of parts that are in my system ,, for starters ,, 4 vertex 2 ssd, ,, nzxt fan controller, lg blu ray write, corsair pro gold ax 1200 ,, and more,, justa few things ,, haha

also SYSTEM IS NOT FOR SALE,

I linked parts you where trying to sell last week.

You say system is not for sale yet this is your advert?
    http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/graphics-video-3d-workstation/560405.

Anyway as i said i'm not looking for a fight so i will not be posting in this thread again.

I linked parts you where trying to sell last week.

You say system is not for sale yet this is your advert?
    http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/graphics-video-3d-workstation/560405.

Anyway as i said i'm not looking for a fight so i will not be posting in this thread again.

NO LAD IT NOT FOR SALE,, IF U CHECK the link, ,,

THANKS ANYWAY,,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

none of which came with anything you advertised?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    none of which came with anything you advertised?

they did orgin,, but sure i cant really be bothered at this stage to talk about it , ,,

thanks

AH LAD I HONESTLY COULDN'T CARE ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE SAY,, ANYONE WHO IS SIMPLY DISSING IS JUST SIMPLY JEALOUS,

CANT F--- AFFORD IT ,

Definitely more money than sense. Enjoy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

this was my favourite bit of the add lol vertex 2 60gb x 4, 1120mb read/ 1000write THINK YOU GOT YOUR SPEED WRONG LOL

• Advertisement

massy086 wrote: »
    this was my favourite bit of the add lol vertex 2 60gb x 4, 1120mb read/ 1000write THINK YOU GOT YOUR SPEED WRONG LOL

NOT ACCORDING TO THE TEST MATE,,, SURE CAN YOU STOP WASTING MY TIME WITH YOUR CRAP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement