Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance - RB dog

• 03-05-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

A question for restricted breeds owners out there..how much do ye pay for insurance? I pay €19 for a purebreed Yorkie and €13 for crossbreed Yorkie.

I wanted to get a quote from Allianz for a Staffie cross and was quoted €29/month, the same information without the restricted tag (ie a crossbreed dog same age) is €12/month.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Em...I don't :o

The Allianz quote generator for me doesn't seem to have any "restricted breed" checkbox. Though a purebreed anything is about €70/year more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

There are "special breed" categories..bulldog, mastiff, deerhound, great dane etc..

Would I get away with just putting a Staffie cross as a crossbreed dog? Wouldnt like for insurance to be invalid if we needed to claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Check the terms and conditions, but there's no category there for "crossbreed restricted dog" or even Staffie. A Staffie cross is a crossbreed dog, so you're not lying to them or withholding material information :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I just rang to double check and crossbreed will cover a staffie cross, thanks Seamus :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

TillyGirl wrote: »
    A question for restricted breeds owners out there..how much do ye pay for insurance? I pay €19 for a purebreed Yorkie and €13 for crossbreed Yorkie.

I wanted to get a quote from Allianz for a Staffie cross and was quoted €29/month, the same information without the restricted tag (ie a crossbreed dog same age) is €12/month.

Thats a bit dear, i pay €28 per month for my two dogs a month. purebreed lab and rottie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I pay 11 a month for Harley, but have him as a crossbreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Allianz last quote for my two pure bred Lhasas was €650 for the year. Suffice to say we did not renew.
    (that would be just short of €28 per month per dog)

That's cool you could get the staffie cross as a crossbreed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

TillyGirl wrote: »
    There are "special breed" categories..bulldog, mastiff, deerhound, great dane etc..

Would I get away with just putting a Staffie cross as a crossbreed dog? Wouldnt like for insurance to be invalid if we needed to claim.

The 'special breeds' would be dogs known to suffer alot of genetic problems ie. bulldogs - breathing, birthing problems, Mastiffs, Deerhounds, Great Danes - Hip / Elbow problems. These would be more likely to need vet treatment than your average crossbreed so they are usually a bit dearer to insure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

€250 a year. I pay monthly. And this is after she had a knee operation which cost €1000. After what i went through with my last fellow on medication and no insurance I wasn't going to take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

I nede to check how much is insurance for my Cavalier King Charles. I brought her to the Vets today because I saw she was in pain and the Vet found that she has two large lumps of cancer in her bowel. Its costing 150 euro to get the lumps removed but its well worth it because she is special to me. I am sorry that I didnt notice those lumps any sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Steve30x wrote: »
    I nede to check how much is insurance for my Cavalier King Charles. I brought her to the Vets today because I saw she was in pain and the Vet found that she has two large lumps of cancer in her bowel. Its costing 150 euro to get the lumps removed but its well worth it because she is special to me. I am sorry that I didnt notice those lumps any sooner.

I hope she's going to be alright. The insurance won't cover anything to do with this condition now though I'm afraid, it will be classed as a pre-existing condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully everything works out well for you. It will be the best 150 you ever spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just to note, if you take out insurance now, it wont cover any conditions or illnesses your dog already suffers from and has been sick with im afraid.

Advertisement