Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam shuttle bus?

Options
  • 03-05-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

What's the story with the exam shuttle bus to and from the RDS? Is it running cause I sure ain't heard nothing about it. If not, shíte.
    That is all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There are posters up on campus - can't remember exactly what they say, maybe someone else has the details. The SU websites says that last year's buses were from 7:30am to 8PM every 1/2 hour, and I think it's the same this year.

However: as I've said in previous years: I still recommend walking it if at all possible. It takes about 1/2 hour at a normal pace. It's good to have a bit of exercise before having to sit still and think for two hours. Plus, you're relying on yourself, rather than a bus which might fill up and leave you stranded when you need it the most. When it's so critical to get there on time, I don't trust that to anyone but myself. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

bnt wrote: »
    There are posters up on campus - can't remember exactly what they say, maybe someone else has the details. The SU websites says that last year's buses were from 7:30am to 8PM every 1/2 hour, and I think it's the same this year.

However: as I've said in previous years: I still recommend walking it if at all possible. It takes about 1/2 hour at a normal pace. It's good to have a bit of exercise before having to sit still and think for two hours. Plus, you're relying on yourself, rather than a bus which might fill up and leave you stranded when you need it the most. When it's so critical to get there on time, I don't trust that to anyone but myself. :cool:
    Some of us don't know the way. :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Some of us don't know the way. :cool:

It's not long! This is the route from the N11 entrance to the RDS Simmonscourt entrance.

Walk down the N11, cross over to the other side at the green pedestrian bridge, this will save you having to cross either at the lights for Nutley lane or the lights at Donnybrook. You turn right onto Anglesea road at Donnybrook Church (across from the large Dublin Bus Depot).

Edit: Those who are driving. There were queues of greater than 15 minutes long to turn right off the N11 onto Anglesea road - remember Trinity have their exams in the RDS Main Hall so allow extra time!

It takes 15 minutes to walk from the N11 entrance to the turnoff, and 7 minutes to walk from the N11 to the entrance to RDS Simmonscourt (although longer if the path is full of people). That's what it took me walking to the 9am this morning, although the path isn't full of people then as there's no exam before it for people to be walking back from. On the way back it took me longer as there was more of us. Allow 30 minutes anyway.

At least with walking you know exactly when you will arrive, the time you leave + the time it takes to walk. Whereas with bus, you have the time you leave + the time waiting for the bus to come + the bus journey + the walk from the bus to the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Nice one Timbuk2 :) Will be walking so! La la la la...oh crap, I'm in Dun Laoighre :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jigglypuff

snooleen wrote: »
    Nice one Timbuk2 :) Will be walking so! La la la la...oh crap, I'm in Dun Laoighre :eek:

Would you not just get the 46A from Dun Laoghaire as far as Donnybrook? It's the stop next to the bus depot in Donnybrook and it's just before the turn off to the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Jigglypuff wrote: »
    Would you not just get the 46A from Dun Laoghaire as far as Donnybrook? It's the stop next to the bus depot in Donnybrook and it's just before the turn off to the right.
    I think that was meant to be a joke ... when going from UCD to RDS up the N11, just keep the Sun on your right in the morning, and on your left in the afternoon, and you'll be grand. Or if your navigational skills really are that bad, maybe you ought to take the bus after all. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There's also AA Roadsigns that say UCD Exams pointing where to go. They are yellow also, like the sun (see above post :p).

All you need to do is get your way to the Donnybrook Bus Depot / Church - then follow the huge crowds of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jigglypuff

bnt wrote: »
    I think that was meant to be a joke ... when going from UCD to RDS up the N11, just keep the Sun on your right in the morning, and on your left in the afternoon, and you'll be grand. Or if your navigational skills really are that bad, maybe you ought to take the bus after all. :o

Really?...

Yeah I got that.

Just thought OP still sounded confused and was gonna get the bus to Ucd and walk from there, so was just clarifying that t'would b easier to just get bus all the way to Donnybrook.

No, no, I was in UCD and was going from there to the RDS :) And yes, that was meant to be a joke. :P

So off I went and turned at Donnybrook church and went onto Ailesbury Road instead of Anglesea, but I had like an hour to spare and my internal navigation system is pretty good so I was happy enough to stroll down there. And then I turned left onto Shrewsbury Road and when I got to the end, instead of turning left which would have had me there in 5 minutes or less, I turned right. Uhoh :) 10 minutes later I realised I was going the wrong way and turned around. On my way I realised I had passed 3 yellow (like the sun) signs which had 'UCD EXAMS RDS SIMMONSCOURT' on them. They had had their back to me -_-

Anyway, I got there and very much enjoyed my walk (despite getting lost which was my own fault for deciding I was too good to follow directions).

Thank you all :)

I get lost all the time as well, as I think I'm too good for directions.

Often I'll just wander random places, not know where I am but usually I enjoy it because I can try and use my internal sense of direction to see if I end up where I think I'm heading, etc. Then I go home and check Google Maps and feel like an idiot for making a very obvious mistake.

Glad to hear you made the exam on time though, that's some detour you took :p

• Advertisement

I'm forever at that :) I left UCD at 1.30 for my 3pm exam so I got there at about 2.20. :P haha. I would've been there at 2 was it not for my stupid decision to turn right, then noticing signs telling me that I was on my way to Dun Laoighre. Shouldn't have joked in that post..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I get lost all the time as well, as I think I'm too good for directions.

Often I'll just wander random places, not know where I am but usually I enjoy it because I can try and use my internal sense of direction to see if I end up where I think I'm heading, etc. Then I go home and check Google Maps and feel like an idiot for making a very obvious mistake.

Glad to hear you made the exam on time though, that's some detour you took :p

A Google Earth HMod should know better :P

I'd be a lost lost boy if I didn't closely study the map before I was going somewhere I hadn't been before, even if I knew the area. My sense of direction is truly awful. I'll go right down into street view and take a mental picture of a junction so I know which way to go. This north, south, east, west business makes no sense to me :o

WeeBushy wrote: »
    A Google Earth HMod should know better :P

I'd be a lost lost boy if I didn't closely study the map before I was going somewhere I hadn't been before, even if I knew the area. My sense of direction is truly awful. I'll go right down into street view and take a mental picture of a junction so I know which way to go. This north, south, east, west business makes no sense to me :o

I do the street view thing as well, it's pretty amazing!

I used to cycle all the time. I'd study the map religiously beforehand, then when I went wherever I was going, it wouldn't look like it did on the map and I'd end up taking a wrong turn somewhere. I once added 30km onto a cycle by nearly doubling back on myself.

There's no hope for me now! If I drive somewhere new, I usually take the Satnavs. Despite the name, they're awful for your sense of direction - you become dependent on them, so even if you drove somewhere before, you couldn't get there again without the satnav, because you are just listening to instructions instead of taking mental images of landmarks, etc.

I do the street view thing as well, it's pretty amazing!

I used to cycle all the time. I'd study the map religiously beforehand, then when I went wherever I was going, it wouldn't look like it did on the map and I'd end up taking a wrong turn somewhere. I once added 30km onto a cycle by nearly doubling back on myself.

There's no hope for me now! If I drive somewhere new, I usually take the Satnavs. Despite the name, they're awful for your sense of direction - you become dependent on them, so even if you drove somewhere before, you couldn't get there again without the satnav, because you are just listening to instructions instead of taking mental images of landmarks, etc.

I'm the exact same :o

Wildly OT, though its been going that way for a while I guess... what exactly is a HMod? I see you don't get your name in bold so you mustn't wield any real power ;)

HMod stands for Hosted Moderator, and yes they don't have real power :P It's like we're Aldi Cola, and the real moderators are Coca Cola! We're just pretending really :P

Wow this has gone a bit off topic haha! As for the exam bus, I've never gotten it - I hear it's really packed. Where does it even collect you from at the RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

I like aldi cola...

I get the dart to the RDS. :D I walk to the station (15 minute walk) and get the train (maybe 20 minutes) and then about a 10 minute walk and I'm there!

HMod stands for Hosted Moderator, and yes they don't have real power :P It's like we're Aldi Cola, and the real moderators are Coca Cola! We're just pretending really :P

Wow this has gone a bit off topic haha! As for the exam bus, I've never gotten it - I hear it's really packed. Where does it even collect you from at the RDS?

Yeah sorry about that... so them shuttle busses, eh?

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Yeah sorry about that... so them shuttle busses, eh?

Twas my fault, I went yapping on about Google Maps and getting lost haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Get a room shuttlebus you two. :D

Advertisement