Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silencing the inner Couch Potato

Options
  • 03-05-2011 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi there
    As with many of the threads here I've been a silent observer for a while but did a 10k yesterday and now feel confident enough to dip my toe in the water so to speak.
    The title of this thread is inspired by my surprise at just how much of yesterday's run was spent having an inner dialogue between my old couch potato self and my new fitness freak persona - schizophrenia how are ya - it was along the cartoon-like angel on each shoulder scenario.
    The debate topics were along the lines of "isn't the Phoenix Park a lovely place. Why would you want to hurt yourself like this while you could sit down and enjoy the sun" or "Those park benches are crying out for someone to sit and read the paper". I really hope I am not alone in having this in my head:eek:!!
    Anyway suffice to say that while I was slowed down to a walk on an odd occasion the new persona won out and I eventually got around in a touch under 62mins.

Bit dissapointed not to get under the hour mark, to be honest, but having said that and to be fair to myself it was only my 2nd time doing something along these lines - I was 29 mins for a 5k a few weeks ago.
    Just to give a bit of background I'm kicking the proverbial off 40, never been fit and before you say it there is indeed a "MLC" element to my efforts!
    Started to lose weight in Feb and shortly after decided to attempt to get properly fit for once.
    I've lost 1 and a half stone since and did the "5k with Ray on the 8th of April and the ARC race yesterday.
    Feeling and walking like an old man today!

I still have another 1 & a half stone to lose ideally but I really want to get the times down and have set my sights on the National Lottery 5 mile and Frank Duffy 10 mile, as well as a couple more 5 and 10k's to see how my times are doing.

Would appreciate any advice on what excercise I should do today/tomorrow and then how best to proceed in getting the timings down.

Thanks for any help/advice/counselling!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭BuilderBob

10k + 2
    Still walking like a toddler when I get up off a chair but feel much better.
    Did a very lazy cycle round the block yesterday to get the oul joints moving and today did 5k at lunch.
    It took about 25mins or so and I felt much better than I did during any part of the 10k last Monday so I guess that's progress??

Have to say that I've struggled thus far with the enthusiasm for the running as while I'm always glad I do it, after the event, I've never really felt comfortable during the run. The run today really surprised me with how strong I felt and coming from being a genuine couch potato to being able to run even 5k, non-stop and without wanting to stop, feels good.
    Not exactly and Iron Man I know but I'll take it for today:)

I think my competitive nature will help me improve and I've been advised to get a good watch so any advice would be welcome.
    Not sure that I want to spring for a garmin or something quite so expensive.
    I have Runkeeper on the iphone but it keeps losing signal:mad:
    I think that I just need time and distance, certainly for now but if anyone else's experiences would incline them otherwise I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

you can use mapmyrun.com to get your distance

Much appreciated Raycun
    I've signed up for that.

My problem is that, for whatever reason, the iPhone signal must be bad around here and I keep losing signal so can't really work on my pace.
    That's why I was curious about the watch.
    Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit??

Feel much better today, less of the orangutan walk going on today!!
    Think will cycle to work tomorrow, it's only about 10k each way.

Signed up for the Donore Harriers 5k on the 28th of May - ambition is to try and break 25mins.
    Reading the other logs has me inspired
    Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BrendanCro

Hi Bob,

The 10k on Monday was my 1st 10k race as well and i had a similiar chat with myself. Half way up one of the hills I started thinking that 12 months ago on a Bank Holiday Monday morning I'd of being eating a breakfast roll on the couch and how much nicer that would be! Thankfully I shook it off and enjoyed the race immensly (although I did have a celebration fry when I got home!)

I found it took a few months to actually enjoy running while running rather than just loving the feeling better/weight loss that it caused. But once got there I can honestly say some days my morning run is the highlight of my day! (although maybe that says more about hating my job than loving running!)

Also I found getting a Garmin made me wanna run more and more as it recorded everything accurately and ye could easly see the improvement (which is inevitable as ye run more).

Anyways, stick with and the love will grow. Best of luck.

Thanks for the encouragement and the advice Brendan.
    Good to know that I'm not the only schizo in the place.
    Also good to know that I'm not the only one who loves their fry!!
    Hope you don't mind but had a look at results and your time looks really good, hope you were very pleased - certainly sets the bar good and high for me!
    I'll certainly be keeping an eye on your log - does that make me a stalker now :eek:

Cycled to and from work yesterday
    14k in @ 2.47 min/km (tried a new route that I though would be less fraught - cycling in traffic takes a bit of getting used to!! It was a good bit longer than I thought, as evidenced by the cycle home being 11k @3min/km.

Thanks all

• Advertisement
Advertisement