Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use Vetbed????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

When I got my pup at 9 weeks old I went on the biggest pet shop trip I'd ever been on - got one of the plastic shell beds and lined it with the Vet bed - it cost a fortune!! But it looked so comfy and cozy I knew she'd love it - and she did - she slept in it for about an hour and then proceeded to shred every last bit of it! Destroyed the whole thing in under an hour. I will stop and admit she's a chewer, loves to chew chew chew, so anything will do she's not fussy!

I'd suggest the old towels until the pup is out of housetraining and the chewing phase - then the vet bed is lovely adult/teen sleeping. But, personally, It was one of my biggest costs in the preperation for her and it was the most expensive loss of it all. I've now moved her into a regular dog bed (the round one, with the cushion in the middle) she's loving it, she'll drag it into her crate (even though it doesn't really fit into the crate) and then drag in her fave toys aswell and have a chew/play and then a snooze.

Overall - my answer would be - in the pup phase - just find the cheapest (yet sturdy and comfy!) bed as possible - between little accidents and chewing and growing - you wont have that first bed for long! And by the time its out grown, chewed and wee'ed on then is the time to pick out a lovely bed for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I get my vet bedding from www.bronteglen.ie

I have always used vet bedding. When I got my pups they didn't rip/chew the vet bedding. Its comfortable and easy to wash in the washing machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Vet bed is brilliant and not expensive at all. I wouldnt use anything else for bedding with my dogs and i own rottweilers.

Its easy to wash, quick to dry and as bedding goes its not as easy to chew up than normal dog beds and mine last ages.

You can get a sheet of it for about 17 euro and i cut it in half and put on on top of the other layered as my dogs need plenty of support for their joints.

Try get the non slip, rubber backed one, its much better.

If you are anywhere near Dublin, you should pop up to a dog show and get it there as its probably the best value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Used it for years and still do, some of my vet bed is at least 7 years old now and still going strong. It's not expensive especially when you consider you can wash the living daylights out of it, just leave it on the line on a good windy day to wash any excess hairs off then pop it in the machine, dry on low though and don't use conditioner.
    Any dog blankets you will get hairs in the machine so I just put the machine on empty on a fast wash afterwards and it washes any excess hairs out.

As said Bronteglen.ie do it and they're good value, at the Pet Expo last year I bought some huge sheets of it for half nothing that they were selling off.

It's the best and most economical bedding you'll get imo anyway. Dogs/cats/guineas/rabbits all love it and other smallies.

Pups can chew their bedding but never had any problem with ours when he was a pup I guess it was too cosy to want to wreck.
    All the dogs have it couldn't live without it now. Girls have it in bright pink...of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I use vet beds too. I find them great, especially for the fact you can wash them on a high setting, and know that they are disinfected without harsh chemicals.

For 2 dogs, I have 4 of them and use them to line their beds, I have plenty of time between 4 of them to keep at least one ready for if there is an chewing or dirty paws incident. Then I get loads of cheap fleece blankets (€3 in penneys) to make the bed cosy and give them something to snuggle up to. They're so cheap you don't mind throwing them out after a few washes, or when the dog decides to make a chew toy of of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I used Vetbed for my cats, and now I have a piece for my dog which I use to line his crate.

Hellishly expensive. I bought mine in the UK, and two small pieces cost me £20, so God only knows what it costs here! But I've had them for years, they wash beautifully and dry in no time. The next time I go over, I'm going to get some more, so that the dog has a spare.

I used Vetbed for my cats, and now I have a piece for my dog which I use to line his crate.

Hellishly expensive. I bought mine in the UK, and two small pieces cost me £20, so God only knows what it costs here! But I've had them for years, they wash beautifully and dry in no time. The next time I go over, I'm going to get some more, so that the dog has a spare.

Vet bed is not expensive!! Trust me, i buy it all the time. I get one big piece for 17 euro which can be cut in 2 and be used as a bed for my rottweilers, so its not dear, actually quite a cheap form of bedding.

andreac wrote: »
    Vet bed is not expensive!! Trust me, i buy it all the time. I get one big piece for 17 euro which can be cut in 2 and be used as a bed for my rottweilers, so its not dear, actually quite a cheap form of bedding.

I think it's very expensive compared to other forms of bedding. But I still use it for the reasons described. I note you get yours for E17. I've NEVER seen it here for that price big pieces or not. Where did you get yours?

I buy it at the dog shows, its the rubber backed, non slip one. Its not dear and last ages.
    Dog beds like the cushion types are very expensive and they dont last and are easily chewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Vet bedding is fantastic, it feels very expensive when buying it but, for the length of time it lasts and for the amount of use the dog will get out fo it, it'll end up being a cheap purchase in the long term. For lining the bottom of a crate, vet bedding is perfect. It's really easy to wash and dry (a few minutes in the dryer or an hour outside if the weather is good) and it lasts forever if!

Old towels are a bit of a no no if your dog is going to chew - towels can easily get stuck along the digestive tract and cause blockages. I have had one of my dogs stomachs pumped several times due to chewing of towels (big lover of tea towels in particular) and have had a lot of stories from vets about towels, socks etc. getting stuck inside dogs. People assume that because it is not a solid ball and are a flexible fabric it won't cause any harm but it really can.

• Advertisement

The fact you get it at dog shows explains the cheap price.

Think I'll wait until I return to London and get it there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The fact you get it at dog shows explains the cheap price.

Think I'll wait until I return to London and get it there...

If you check out the bronteglen site mentioned above, they do fairly big pieces quite cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nudag

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

€11 for something that will last a few years is hardly expensive now is it?

2 pints in an expensive bar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

my dogs love vet bed! have it in all there beds and a few other beds but they pull out normall bed and try to get the vet bed in! i find it cheap at the shows but when going to a vet or a petshop it can be expensive!

Advertisement